Height of an elk - back to brisket

What do you all think, what is the average height from the top of an elk's back to the bottom of it's brisket?

I've stuck a knife in 15 or so, but have never measured one. My guess is that it's about thirty inches, hair to hair.

Friday, we had a small herd at an unknown distance. Close enough to kill but too far for me to estimate comfortably. With a frozen range finder, moderate visibility, and a fleeting opportunity, our window closed when a coyote burst onto the scene chasing that herd and presumably spooking a larger group out of the area.

My lack of proficiency "milling" targets contributed to that missed opportunity. I plan to practice that skill more over the next year and be better prepared in the future. I did work on it some preseason but almost always with a target of known size at known distance

I gonna say 24-30” it’s gonna be hugely dependent on age that’s for sure, and dependent on species of elk. Rocky Mountain elk I’m gonna say around the 28” average for a mature bull. That’s my opinion although I’ve never measured one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
I always used 30” for a Bull as a good enough average. Big ones might be bigger, but that number has not caused problems for us to just over 400 yards on hold overs.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What do you all think, what is the average height from the top of an elk's back to the bottom of it's brisket?

I've stuck a knife in 15 or so, but have never measured one. My guess is that it's about thirty inches, hair to hair.

Friday, we had a small herd at an unknown distance. Close enough to kill but too far for me to estimate comfortably. With a frozen range finder, moderate visibility, and a fleeting opportunity, our window closed when a coyote burst onto the scene chasing that herd and presumably spooking a larger group out of the area.

My lack of proficiency "milling" targets contributed to that missed opportunity. I plan to practice that skill more over the next year and be better prepared in the future. I did work on it some preseason but almost always with a target of known size at known distance

In the 30-40 that I’ve measured, including hair- 32” has been pretty average. If you go to the hump of a bull and measure straight down, 36” works.

You be about right on with the 30" estimate on a bull or even an extra large cow. Shave about 4-6" off for an average cow and that should be good for milling a range.