Missing 411: Hunters

I listened to the hunters segment on YouTube.

A bunch of nonsense. Honestly, I want my time back.

I did find it interesting that the guy from Reno who disappeared in Alaska was an accountant.
Yeah, an 82 year old man getting lost/dying on his own and never being found in the Adirondacks isn’t exactly shocking. It’s extremely thick country.

I listened to the next one about the 75 year old and after they said she was found undressed near water I knew exactly what happened. Hypothermia. (Look up paradoxical undressing) It gets cold in the desert at night, particularly at high elevation. She wasn’t prepared for the elements being that it was a day trip.

When the coroners report said exactly that, and he still tried to play it up as some mystery I knew the rest was probably sensationalist BS.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I watched it yesterday on Amazon. Only weird one to me was the guy in the crazies in Montana.

It won't cause me to lose any sleep in my bed or in a tent.

Fatcamp

WKR
I watched it yesterday on Amazon. Only weird one to me was the guy in the crazies in Montana.

"The Missing Enigma" on YouTube breaks down the case well. I felt I had a far better understanding after watching it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I saw a video about that story. Apparently that group of guys lied about where they killed their elk and the guy who turned up dead was apparently severely detoxing from drugs and alcohol during that trip. There was some shady business going on but nothing supernatural.

Fatcamp

WKR
I saw a video about that story. Apparently that group of guys lied about where they killed their elk and the guy who turned up dead was apparently severely detoxing from drugs and alcohol during that trip. There was some shady business going on but nothing supernatural.

Same. Sounds like there were some personal demons in play.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Same. Sounds like there were some personal demons in play.

I’m guessing the guy takes about committing suicide and his buddies helped him or something and then thought they would get in trouble so they made up some elaborate story. From what I read, the elk they killed was legal and in a legal area so why lie about it? Seems like they were really nowhere near where their story took place. With that in mind, I wouldn’t really believe the rest of the story including the guy taking off to get to some gear stash.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
That makes a lot more sense, and I figured some foul play was involved with that one.

rclouse79

WKR
Wow, I want to read this now. Just checked Amazon the price is $80!
I used to blindly order stuff on Amazon thinking I was getting close to the best deal. Definitely not the case any more. It is not uncommon for their prices to be significantly higher than even places like Sportsman's and over twice what you can find online.
Sorry for the tangent. I watched some of the episodes after reading the "creepy experiences in the backcountry" thread. Interesting, but I will stay away from in at least a couple months before hunting season.

Mt Al

WKR
That makes a lot more sense, and I figured some foul play was involved with that one.

I haven't listened to 411, but this missing person thing was interesting as I hunt there all the time. The timing of his 'partners' leaving, asking the missing guy's wife if he was dead, the nasty storm which I remember well, etc.. Amazing he went from the West side of the Crazies to the East where they found his body. Not unthinkable given the trail he was on, but still bizarre unless he was well on his way that direction before the crap hit the air mover.

If you're interested, there's a fairly recent youtube from a girl who was with the party that found his skull/bones, etc. Not great communication on that video, but interesting.

His partners willfully giving false information to investigators, going back 'in' when they were told not to, the deceased's wife and brother suggesting he was acting bizarrely prior to the hunt, (I think) his hunting partners moving, one to Canada, after the event. All strange, sad, etc.

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be willing to bet that a decent number of people on this forum have had some pretty weird things happen in some remote places.

I also try to always lean towards logical explanation. A couple years ago my hunting partner and I were doing some bear hunting about six miles in and a long way off trail. He slept in a hammock and I was in a tent. I woke up to him screaming at something to get the F*** out of here and then the sound of him running off into the woods. I immediately thought about how ballsy he was to chase something off into the dark like that. Then he yelled at me from his sleeping spot to get out there with my pistol and light. I was out there in seconds and he was tangled in his mummy bag and hammock, rifle in hand and ghost white. “There was someone standing over me and I saw their silhouette. They ran when I yelled.” This was like 2am and we never found any trace of anyone the next day.

I know what I heard definitely was running on two legs.

My buddy used to be the kind of guy that did a bunch of solo backpacking but now he won’t go into the woods overnight alone.

Easy to dismiss stuff until it happens to you.
Jeez man, you just creeped me the F out with that one.

Has anyone watched the newest Missing 411 about UFO's? I just watched the trailer and it has at least 1 story about another missing hunter. I liked some of the missing person stories from "Missing 411: The Hunted" but thought that a few were kinda ridiculous in how he tried to steer the viewer into suspecting Bigfoot or "Predator" from the movies.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone watched the newest Missing 411 about UFO's? I just watched the trailer and it has at least 1 story about another missing hunter. I liked some of the missing person stories from "Missing 411: The Hunted" but thought that a few were kinda ridiculous in how he tried to steer the viewer into suspecting Bigfoot or "Predator" from the movies.
I have not, but you had me at UFO. I want to believe. lol

Missing 411 is interesting and entertaining, but also kinda silly. I watch it for fun.

I have not, but you had me at UFO. I want to believe. lol

Missing 411 is interesting and entertaining, but also kinda silly. I watch it for fun.
Agree, the fact that UFO is in the title of this one basically answers my own question. In the previous one "The Hunted" the 2 or 3 missing hunter cases that they didn't bring up supernatural causes were entertaining and thought provoking, I wish there were more like those.

rclouse79

WKR
Last season I was crossing a log over a dried creek that was choked with brush. I remember thinking that if I slipped and hit my head here no one would ever find me.

Oh crap! I’m German! 😂

SPOILER ALERT

I tried watching this last week but couldn't quite finish even though I had low expectations. It does center around missing hunters again, but quickly becomes so far fetched as to be comical.

The host's main theory is that Aliens are abducting Elk Hunters, but only ones with German ancestry that haven't had a vasectomy. Elk are also being abducted and a loose theory was tied to Chronic Wasting Disease. The witnesses interviewed have the opposite effect of adding credibility to the show. It's good for a watch next time you have the flu and need to call in sick to work.

If the show just stuck to stories and facts about missing people in the outdoors without veering off into whacky land, it would be so much better.

Fatcamp

WKR
SPOILER ALERT

I tried watching this last week but couldn't quite finish even though I had low expectations. It does center around missing hunters again, but quickly becomes so far fetched as to be comical.

The host's main theory is that Aliens are abducting Elk Hunters, but only ones with German ancestry that haven't had a vasectomy. Elk are also being abducted and a loose theory was tied to Chronic Wasting Disease. The witnesses interviewed have the opposite effect of adding credibility to the show. It's good for a watch next time you have the flu and need to call in sick to work.

If the show just stuck to stories and facts about missing people in the outdoors without veering off into whacky land, it would be so much better.

So German with a vasectomy is safe? That explains my lack of alien probing.