Missing Rifle Scope Features?

SDHNTR

WKR
Tract is one of the companies who told me zero retention testing was abuse and unrealistic, among other things. I was going to buy one of their new scopes.
That is such a disappointment! I was really wanting them to be different. They claim an ability to withstand 1500g forces or some such BS.

Sled

WKR
Tract is one of the companies who told me zero retention testing was abuse and unrealistic, among other things. I was going to buy one of their new scopes.
@JW@TRACT

I'd like to hear a response. I was all set to order another tract scope but holding zero is important to me.

How do you like the big dot?
I almost cancelled my order when I read the specs on the dot size but am glad I didn’t
I really like it, no trouble for precision aiming, I zero it so my group forms at 12 o’clock on the dot as you would with open sights

Sled

WKR
I’d love to hear a response too. I think it’s well warranted.

At the risk of making an assumption...I hope the statement was taken out of context somehow. Bad stuff happens on hunts. Rifles can get accidentally dropped on rocks from shoulder height or worse. I'd still want to take a verification shot or at least check bore sight. It would be nice to have the confidence that the manufacturer believes their product is designed and tested to some kind of standard. The lack of testing does not inspire confidence.

sndmn11

WKR
At the risk of making an assumption...I hope the statement was taken out of context somehow.

It wasn't, I'm direct. It was a long the lines of, "what are your thoughts on (I forgot the exact scope name) being dropped from waist and knee height on all three turrets while mounted and retaining zero? Would any damage be covered by warranty?"

Answer-ish: abuse, rings, mounts, action screws. No.

This was via their online chat.

This is also why I encouraged folks in a different thread to reach out to companies on their own. Then I don't catch the blame or it is eluded to that there was confusion.

Sled

WKR
It wasn't, I'm direct. It was a long the lines of, "what are your thoughts on (I forgot the exact scope name) being dropped from waist and knee height on all three turrets while mounted and retaining zero? Would any damage be covered by warranty?"

Answer-ish: abuse, rings, mounts, action screws. No.

This was via their online chat.

This is also why I encouraged folks in a different thread to reach out to companies on their own. Then I don't catch the blame or it is eluded to that there was confusion.

Well, I hope they (tract) will address some of the concerns. I agree using a scope as a hammer isn't wise and should not be the metric. That said, I've seen several rifles leaned against trees, fences and other objects slide off and land scope side down. I sure hope every scope costing more than $100 could handle this without losing zero but I demand that out of any scope I own. Doesn't matter to me if it costs $100 or $2500.

SDHNTR

WKR
We don’t need scopes to pound nails or other ridiculous things like being shot with a shotgun like Nightforce does in their promo vids. But we do need them to withstand being knocked over, moderate incidental drops and the rigors of travel. All scope manufacturers need to do is tell us and show us how their scopes can do that and are systematically proofed for zero retention as part of the QC process. Avoiding the question or failing to show us might as well be the same as saying our scopes are made of egg shells.

Show us why your scopes can be trusted. We’ll buy them. We don’t need more features. We need more reliability and if you really want to be innovative, reliability AND light weight!

Fatcamp

WKR
We don’t need scopes to pound nails or other ridiculous things like being shot with a shotgun like Nightforce does in their promo vids. But we do need them to withstand being knocked over, moderate incidental drops and the rigors of travel. All scope manufacturers need to do is tell us and show us how their scopes can do that and are systematically proofed for zero retention as part of the QC process. Avoiding the question or failing to show us might as well be the same as saying our scopes are made of egg shells.

Show us why your scopes can be trusted. We’ll buy them. We don’t need more features. We need more reliability and if you really want to be innovative, reliability AND light weight!

Here! Here! Doubt they will listen, but keep preaching.

Wrench

WKR
We as consumers expect some pretty remarkable characteristics in a scope. Everyone wants uber mils of elevation and unparalleled reliability. That's asking for a spring to remain in tension at a reasonable rate and not induce any deflection. Next we want wild magnifying ranges without consideration to what has to move for that to occur.

I'd hate to be a scope mfr. Something as simple as a bad lot of spring material causes a bad run. Sure, they could rate test each and every spring, but that's a lot of added labor.

Throw in tooling wear adding to backlash and clearance, the cheap ass rubber that controls the oring market....etc.

All of this makes me glad that we have a few proven designs to rely on.

BBob

WKR
The NX8 has proven to be super reliable with the 8x erector hasn’t it?
Yes, they are good. But they’re about the only ones. And there’s just no functional reason for an 8x ratio.
I might be mistaken but didn’t you report somewhere that these (NX8 4-32x) were very good but they still had a small amount of failures, more so than the other Nightforce models?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I might be mistaken but didn’t you report somewhere that these (NX8 4-32x) were very good but they still had a small amount of failures, more so than the other Nightforce models?

2.5-20x NX8 has had Issues, not failures- at least what I consider a failure. A failure to me is it losing zero, or not adjusting or RTZ at all. What I’ve seen/know about is three that had a zero stop issue. While yes, in my experience they have had the most problems of any NF- they’re still better than everyone else. The 2.5-20x is a niche scope to me. The 4-32x is a more usable design all around.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
My apologies for the delayed responses, and thank you to everyone who tagged me to keep me updated.
We stand behind the quality of our products, which is why we offer a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship that we do. I think there may have been some confusion in regards to testing being covered under warranty, a mechanical failure from use is different than purposeful abuse to see at what threshold an item fails.
These responses about drops and failures or survival are helpful to us and we appreciate the feedback we get.