Missoula Fun?

bounds

WKR
I'm headed to Missoula on Friday for a B&C measuring workshop. I was supposed to have another guy with me but he had a death in the family so now I'll be solo. Looking for things to do. I plan to do a hike/run up to Stuart Peak and may bring a fly rod. I love adventure and I'm from Texas, so time by myself in the mountains when it's hot down here is going to be utilized to the fullest.

Places to eat, drink and play. Let me know!

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
There's plenty of hiking, fishing, etc but if you take a 20 minute drive over to Arlee you can see this really cool garden with 1,000 Buddha statues! The 'Animal's Bridge' is pretty cool as well.

Mt Al

WKR
If you have an extra day or two, head SOUTH down the valley and fish on the Bitterroot. Amazing fishery not to be missed and the runoff may be down by now. New awesome lodge just outside of Hamilton, great access to the Bitterroot river right from the lodge, www.bitterrootmile.com, great place to stay, Texas and Montana connections, and can hook you up with a good guide if you want to float. Any fishing shop in Missoula should be able to connect you with a good guide as well. Missoula is a great town. If you like to drive, have some time, a loop up to Flathead Lake, then down the Swan Valley is nice and you'll probably harvest a few whitetail with your bumper.

You'll have fun no matter what!

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
If my wife would let me, I would move to Missoula. It has everything I need.

It's one of my favorite places! I tried for three years to find the right job there and never did so I had to settle for Bozeman, but it's not even close to as nice.

hobbes

WKR
I go to Missoula off and on for work. I can't really say that I dislike it, but college towns are not my kind of place. Quite frankly, the place is loaded with liberal minded entitled brats. I could care less about the Grizz/Cat rivalry (I'm not a native), and feel the same way about Bozeman. However, if I was 25 years younger, I'd probably feel different. But..... that's all relative.........it's still MT and I'd still happily transfer there for the right opportunity and would probably pick it over Bozeman.

With that said, it'll be an improvement over the heat and humidity of Texas any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'd probably skip Arlee and hike the local mountain trails and maybe cast a little on Rock Crk as suggested. Traffic is another relative issue, but avoid Reserve at peak volumes if possible. The RMEF visitor center is on Reserve, but a cool place to visit for 30 minutes if you've never been.

While pretty unlikely for an encounter, It's probably not a bad idea to consider bear spray if you do much hiking.

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
I go to Missoula off and on for work. I can't really say that I dislike it, but college towns are not my kind of place. Quite frankly, the place is loaded with liberal minded entitled brats. I could care less about the Grizz/Cat rivalry (I'm not a native), and feel the same way about Bozeman. However, if I was 25 years younger, I'd probably feel different. But..... that's all relative.........it's still MT and I'd still happily transfer there for the right opportunity and would probably pick it over Bozeman.

With that said, it'll be an improvement over the heat and humidity of Texas any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'd probably skip Arlee and hike the local mountain trails and maybe cast a little on Rock Crk as suggested. Traffic is another relative issue, but avoid Reserve at peak volumes if possible. The RMEF visitor center is on Reserve, but a cool place to visit for 30 minutes if you've never been.

While pretty unlikely for an encounter, It's probably not a bad idea to consider bear spray if you do much hiking.

I’m probably around 25 years younger than you and from the Missoula area. I completely agree with you.

My brother’s property taxes just went north of $6k a year with the last assessment. Not a big, fancy or a new house either.
It’s becoming so ‘progressive’ it will only be the rich and the homeless in another decade.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Reserve St sucks, Howard's Pizza on South Ave is full of deer, elk, and bear mounts, they all hunt, good people. Used to stop in there every week when I was in town for work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As mentioned already, if you want to fly fish Rock Creek, the upper Bitterroot and the Blackfoot are all great options right now for salmonflies. Flows have dropped a ton the past week or two, but are still high enough that some parts are best fished from a raft. You can still find plenty of action from the bank though.

All of the fly shops in town are good. Grizzly Hackle, Blackfoot River Outfitters, Kingfisher, and Missoulian Angler. Stop in to any of them for flies, advice, and if you really want to treat yourself, a guide.

For great bbq check out The Notorious P.I.G. downtown, then walk across the bridge and go to Big Dipper for ice cream. Tamarack and the Top Hat are other good places to eat.

There's too many good breweries to even narrow things down. Kettlehouse, Draught Works, Great Burn and Missoula Brewing is a good start though.

Stuart Peak is a good hike right outside of town. If you don't mind a 1.5 hour drive, check out Heart Lake along the MT/Idaho border. It's about a 3-4 mile hike one way, accessed from Trout Creek road out of a town called Superior.

Last edited:

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want a great sandwich and wide selection of beer to take home, check Worden’s Market on N Higgins.

The Iron Horse, Tamarack Brewery and Top Hat are all great places for a burger. Take a hike up Blue Mountain or the "M". As has been said already, the Big Dipper is always on our list when we head to the "Zoo,".

Fished Rock Creek last week and the river is pretty high, but the salmon flies are out!

If you can go for a drive, I'd recommend Morrell Falls. It's outside of Seeley Lake and a nice easy hike in. The falls are nice, but it's pretty popular and can get crowded by Montana standards (15 rigs at the trailhead).
59286843ece10e8ac6f4b6aaea488196.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you like fried chicken try Double Front Chicken downtown on West Alder Street. If you are not a big fried chicken fan go there anyway. It is fantastic.