Missouri River Camping South Dakota

I am curious if you can camp along the Missouri River in South Dakota. I know its Corps of Engineers land, and the little research I did so far it looks like they allow dispersed camping. Anyone know for sure or have experience doing this? I'm thinking of taking a boat to access the area. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I never have but also haven't seen any rule against it. Have camped in islands of the lower river many times.

What boat? What experience? I ask because these are bigger waters than many might expect.

OP
J
20 ft Lund Alaskan, haven't completely narrowed down the area yet. Very early in the planning process

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wondering about camping on that land as well. Keep us posted if you find out more details.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen people camping out as long as it is not posted, and you're below high water mark, which isn't hard to do on the Missouri these days.

OP
J
I emailed south dakota gfp about camping along the Missouri River on corps land. He got me in touch with a guy from the COE, they both told me that dispersed camping is not allowed outside of designated campgrounds. I then asked him camping below the high water mark, he told me COE owns that as well and the same rules apply, no camping. He did say it probably happens as they can't monitor all of it all the time. Guess I'll be looking for a campground

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Camping along the river isn’t aloud. I don’t agree but seems a group of a few ruined it for anyone years back. I agree with the above…sleep In your boat.

As far as campgrounds go, the one right below the dam at Oahe and Farm Island are both nice. Only two I have ever camped at on the Missouri. Actually we did camp somewhere by Chamberlain once and it was nice as well.