MN duck season over for this guy

Well this season has been another rough one. My first weekend was second weekend of early goose and I had a guy set up 20 yards from me and blow every goose in the county out before they even had a chance to think about whether they wanted to come in or not (he set up at 0800 after driving right in front of me and turning around). Went out one other weekend with my B.I.L. and we ended up with 4 geese. Then my wife's birthday is always on opener so I give her that weekend but then I had to stay with my kids the next weekend. This leads to last weekend when I was only able to get out on Sunday morning and got 100 yards off the landing and my motor blew up. Now with the snow being called for the migration will probably be pushed south and my wife has to work again so I got the kids again. Ages 3 and 4 so sitting in 30 degree weather with them in a canoe just won't work... Maybe outdoors just isn't for this guy.

Chuck44

FNG
Yeah, I have heard from several groups of MN hunters that hunting there has gotten tough. Had two different groups of hunters from MN staying in the rental house next to our rental in North Dakota last week. If it makes you feel better, ND hunting was tough this year also but not due to a lack of birds or too much pressure....but too much water. The fields and most of the section roads were not driveable, so access to anything was very limited.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt western MN ducks every year and have done so for the last 10. I hunted second weekend this year and it was by FAR the toughest I've seen it. 5 of us in 3 mornings on the lake shot 21 total ducks. Usually we hunt 2 days and bag around 45-50 for reference. Still enjoyed my coffee and camaraderie in the blind just as much :)

OP
skyler_2010
I hunt western MN ducks every year and have done so for the last 10. I hunted second weekend this year and it was by FAR the toughest I've seen it. 5 of us in 3 mornings on the lake shot 21 total ducks. Usually we hunt 2 days and bag around 45-50 for reference. Still enjoyed my coffee and camaraderie in the blind just as much :)
I agree the sunrise and coffee in the blind is amazing but it's hard to get out when you work during the week and have to take care of the kids on the weekend. Hopefully next year will be better for the season wether I shoot birds or not

WCB

WKR
There's still a month left in the Northern Zone and more than that left in the rest of the state. The Migration hasn't even come through yet. The direction the storm came didn't push northern birds south. Still time to get out.

OP
skyler_2010
There's still a month left in the Northern Zone and more than that left in the rest of the state. The Migration hasn't even come through yet. The direction the storm came didn't push northern birds south. Still time to get out.
Thanks man. I got out with the kids for a couple minutes on Sunday and told my wife I will be going this week after work and weekend for most of the weekend and she said ok

OP
skyler_2010
Got out again last night and idk if I wasn't hidden well enough or if my calling is really that bad but was able to turn 3 different small flocks but couldn't get them close enough. Lots of ducks flying though.