Model 7 - Saum rebarrel.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering if a Model 7 in 300 saum would be a good candidate for a rebarrel to 7 saum. Obviously, it can be done. My question is for 140 grain - 160 grain bullets. What I am wondering is there a disadvantage to this action over other commonly found actions?

ID_Matt

WKR
700's are one of the more common guns to modify. I assume the action you have is a short which will be fine for that size of bullet. If you went up to 175's or bigger I would suggest a longer action but you will be fine with the 140-160's.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
The 7ss is intriguing. I guess the saum seems more popular. I don't really shoot long range, 500 yards tops. I am currently using a 7mm-08 and it would be nice to have a second rifle that I can stretch out and have a bit more energy.

I don't own a Model 7, but I see them for sale in 300 Saum and it seemed like a decent option to rebarrel one of those.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'd be fine in a sa with up to 160ishgr bullets which are more than adequate for up to 500yds. I'm not sure what a used model 7 costs but it might be worth it to just buy a custom action.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I think you'd be fine in a sa with up to 160ishgr bullets which are more than adequate for up to 500yds. I'm not sure what a used model 7 costs but it might be worth it to just buy a custom action.
I have been considering a custom action as well. I'm not sure what the best options available in Canada really are. That is always a factor up here.

I have a Model 7 in both 300 & 7 Saum. Love that 7mm.
I plan to fin another Mod 7 and rebarrel to 6.5 Saum just for the fun of it I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the model 7 over the 700 SA. It is actually 1/2” shorter! And has a bigger port for longer bullets. Only draw back is less after market components. Harder to change the mag box for the longer bullets

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Model 7 in both 300 & 7 Saum. Love that 7mm.
I plan to fin another Mod 7 and rebarrel to 6.5 Saum just for the fun of it I guess.

Are your model 7's all factory camberings?

mtnlomo

FNG
I have a model 700 titanium short action in 300 saum, it loves the 150 ttsx and 165 accubonds, shoots my handloads for those sub MOA with a christensen arms carbon barrel. Can't speak for the model 7 though.

Yes, there is a disadvantage to stuffing a 7 SAUM into 2.83" mag length even with lighter bullets when compared to something that allows a longer COAL. Doesn't mean it cant work well but it is a disadvantage if you want better ballistics.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes, there is a disadvantage to stuffing a 7 SAUM into 2.83" mag length even with lighter bullets when compared to something that allows a longer COAL. Doesn't mean it cant work well but it is a disadvantage if you want better ballistics.

What do you mean by better ballistics?

bpctcb

WKR
I believe he means that you can’t run the the high b.c. bullets (180+ grains) without seating them deep in the case which eats up powder capacity.

BP

I believe he means that you can’t run the the high b.c. bullets (180+ grains) without seating them deep in the case which eats up powder capacity.

BP

Or plenty of low BC bullets for that matter. 2.83” coal is short for a SAUM even without the long and heavies.