Modified gutless

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve broke down a few animals via the gutless method but don’t like the process of getting out the tenderloins or heart, let alone the liver. This year I’ll be doing it alone and it’s always enough a pain with someone helping. So, I’m thinking of changing it up. Has anyone sawn the ribs off whole slab on one side after taking the shoulder and strap for easier access? Experience or thoughts are appreciated.

I’ve broke down a few animals via the gutless method but don’t like the process of getting out the tenderloins or heart, let alone the liver. This year I’ll be doing it alone and it’s always enough a pain with someone helping. So, I’m thinking of changing it up. Has anyone sawn the ribs off whole slab on one side after taking the shoulder and strap for easier access? Experience or thoughts are appreciated.
Nope but I have deboned the quarters on the carcass to cut weight tenderloins are super easy just follow the short ribs and I take the heart from the front.

The Guide

WKR
I prefer to gut them, drag them a few feet away, and then skin and debone them. Only time I did a true gutless method was when the elk died in a downfall. Remember to leave evidence of sex if required.

Jay

I’ve done quite a few animals with the gutless method, and a trick I use to get the tenderloins out is that at the very end when you are getting them out, roll the carcass so it’s spine up, stomach down (how it would look standing up), and then make your incisions.

This lets gravity work the guts away from the tenderloins, giving you more space to maneuver. At the end of processing, it’s fairly easy to balance the legless carcass upright. Works great.

Marble

WKR
I do that for the heart. I just cut away 2-3 ribs and make a window. All you have to do is grab the lungs and pull them out. The heart usually gets kind of wedged in the hole. I cut the sac and call it good. Tenderloins are easy.

For the liver, which I do not normally take, I would do it last just in case it makes a big Ole mess it's at the end.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

WyoElk

WKR
I usually pull the 4 quarters and back straps, then just make a cut across the stomach to relieve all the pressure and give everything a place to go. Then it’s pretty easy to reach in and get the tenders. I do them last and once they are out, I’m done

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I normally go gutless until I have a legless carcass, then I gut it. I have to salvage rib meat though, so it is easier to just gut it at the end. It also makes it easy to salvage the heart, liver, and kidneys.

Last edited:
You can get them through the top of ribs or wait until everything else is off, slice along the length of the back rib from spine to middle belly line, everything will come out easy and reach in.

A handful of the most distal ribs can be easily separated with a knife where they meet the sternum. Then just snap them back over the spine. Oddly enough, I got a photo of my brother pulling a moose heart recently by doing just that.

Most folks in AK will take off the entire rib cage intact. Some because it is required and others simply for ease.

IMG_6832.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Saw? Too heavy. Get everything else done, then zip up the belly about a foot and let some of the guts fall out, gravity and pressure should do the trick, no need to get messy. Then with the pressure relieved, remove the tenders. Easy and clean.

OP
N

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I normally go gutless until I have a legless carcass, then I gut it. I have to salvage rib meat though, so it is easier to just gut it at the end. It also makes it easy to salvage the heart, liver, and kidneys.
More curious about the liver than anything. I love chicken liver, like deer liver, don’t care for beef liver. Figure I may give elk a try in the right situation. You eat the kidneys?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
More curious about the liver than anything. I love chicken liver, like deer liver, don’t care for beef liver. Figure I may give elk a try in the right situation. You eat the kidneys?
Kidneys are good chopped up or mixed with grind. If I have multiple days before I will get to refrigeration I only salvage the heart. Don't trust other organs to stay edible, though I have not tested if they would.

fishslap

WKR
I’m not a big fan of gutless if the animal is in a spot where I can gut it. I have done gutless then at the end just cut it open from groin to neck to grab the tenderloins, heart, and belly meat. I just didn’t pull the entrails out from esophagus to anus like I would do at the beginning of gutted method. I’ve also done gutless where you just reach in behind the last rib to get the loins.
Sun, heat, and potential for bloating actually push me to gutting it vs the other way around. I’ve had animals bloat up quick and the guts try to push through around where the hind quarters meet the lower belly area and around other areas when removing meat, and I’m pretty experienced in the anatomy and cuts.

Fowl Play

WKR
Guess I’ve never had a problem with the tenderloins and gutless? I don’t even use a knife. Just slide your hand between loin and backbone to separate it. At that point the front and back are the only points holding on. I slide my hand to the front, rip it out. Rest tears out easy.

cnelk

WKR
Ah… the Ol Gut Steak…. errrr ‘tenderloin’ discussion

Not a big deal. Find the short ribs and they are just under there and easy to get to and cut out.
Don’t over think it

OP
N

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Ah… the Ol Gut Steak…. errrr ‘tenderloin’ discussion

Not a big deal. Find the short ribs and they are just under there and easy to get to and cut out.
Don’t over think it
Not an issue finding them, more a concern pulling them out that close to the full gut. All that pressure and knowing what happens if I were to nick it, relative to pulling them out of a gutted cavity, was the issue. Never dawned on me to just rip them out by hand, maybe I’ll try that. End of day I’ve got them out fine in the past, but I didn’t like the process. Heart was more a barbarian show, ended up snapping off a few of the front ribs to get to it but that worked as well. Liver was liquified so didn’t bother. Anyhow, just looking at options. Gonna go with some of the advice here or try the original premise to saw off the rib cage slab style. Of course I’ve gotta get one on the ground first…

slatty

WKR
For removing rib slabs whole without using a saw, i've had good luck with "battoning" through ribs. Basically same technique you can use to split wood using a knife and a hefty stick. I'll put my knife against the ribs right by the spine and just smack away with a stick, it cuts right through pretty easily.
This is on a whitetail deer. I imagine it would work just fine with a solid full tang knife on bigger game but I haven't had the chance to try it.