First heavy pack out nightmares

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
I had your same pack frame before I bought a Kifaru. The Kifaru made a world of difference with heavy loads. Packing whole deer isn’t an issue for me anymore and heavy elk loads are manageable too.

I was bummed because I really liked the eberlestock and how bomb proof it was. I did multiple whole deer and elk pack outs with it and it never got easier.y shoulders and hips hurt. It also felt like I was constantly leaning over for relief. The Kifaru was a night and day difference.

For reference I have the duplex light and a Stryker XL. Have a little over 20 animals packed out with the Kifaru now. Only thing I wish I did different was get a grab it instead of the Sherman pocket. I think the heaviest I’ve had in the pack at once has been just under 175lbs but that was a short distance pack out and definitely not comfortable. My biggest gripe with the Kifaru has been the shoulder straps wearing out after two seasons and the K clips on the load lifters have come apart when I tried to roll onto my knees from the ground with a heavy elk load.

I’m also interested in the K4 but that’ll come after I break the Kifaru (I’m still trying).

The first pick is the eberlestock and the rest are the Kifaru with multiple elk quarters, extra meat, antlers, or whole mule deer.
Thanks for sharing your experience that really helps. I like the look of the Kifaru packs I’m surprised the shoulder straps have worn out on you. What part wore out? Did they warranty it?

Duh

WKR
Thanks for sharing your experience that really helps. I like the look of the Kifaru packs I’m surprised the shoulder straps have worn out on you. What part wore out? Did they warranty it?
The padding and fasteners. They would loosen up with anything above 50lbs and require me to keep tightening the shoulder straps.

I just bought new shoulder straps from them. I’m not sure how they would handle the warranty on them because I never tried.

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
Trekking poles make a world of difference for me when heavy loads are on. Makes it much easier to maintain balance and I think it saves alot of energy when you get your arms involved.
I definitely appreciate the use of trekking poles. I take them with me every time I go out. I keep mine strapped to the pack for the walk in and use them on the way out. I also use the wiser precision quick stick picatinny mount to attach to the rifle and use them as a bipod. It worked out great on this deer. The terrain made a prone shot impossible but with the trekking poles turned into a tall bipod I was able to make an easy 350 seated shot.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
I've packed out numerous whole whitetail bucks and my mule deer buck from this year, as well as an elk (but I had a buddy for that and it was a short pack so it wasn't a great test) in my MR Sawtooth and it carries the load great. To me, the hip belt is the most important piece of the puzzle. I had a hodgepodge homemade setup that I used before I bought the MR and it was always uncomfortable with a full load. Since switching, the main thing I notice after packing out an animal is sore hip flexors.

It’s like using 10 lb dumbbells,you have to check your ego sometimes.Just make two trips.
As I have got older and dealing with back pain it’s not worth saving some time.I actually just placed a exo order because of a small whitetail that just about wreaked me last week dragging out of a bottom,and it wasn’t very far.

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
I've packed out numerous whole whitetail bucks and my mule deer buck from this year, as well as an elk (but I had a buddy for that and it was a short pack so it wasn't a great test) in my MR Sawtooth and it carries the load great. To me, the hip belt is the most important piece of the puzzle. I had a hodgepodge homemade setup that I used before I bought the MR and it was always uncomfortable with a full load. Since switching, the main thing I notice after packing out an animal is sore hip flexors.
I really like the looks of the mystery ranch packs they just seem very creative in their design. I also like the price of the MR packs they seem to go for about half of the other big name packs. I like the idea of the pop-up packs because I do mostly day hunts with long walks. However I doubt the ability of that little frame to handle a big load well. But I think keeping my ego in check might be the right answer to that.

Alaska92

FNG
I really like the looks of the mystery ranch packs they just seem very creative in their design. I also like the price of the MR packs they seem to go for about half of the other big name packs. I like the idea of the pop-up packs because I do mostly day hunts with long walks. However I doubt the ability of that little frame to handle a big load well. But I think keeping my ego in check might be the right answer to that.
One thing to keep in mind when looking at pack frames is the contour profile. Some are “curved” and some are straight as an arrow. It obviously depends on an individuals anatomy to determine which one fits better. Generally speaking, the straight frames are actually likely not the correct fit for a lot of people. MR frames are straight. Likely not the highest degree of comfort for many. Stand firm against a wall and see how much “gap” there is between the wall and your lower back. Quick test. As far as price, most MR packs are built overseas.

Jbehredt

WKR
The foam breaks down over time, I think it happens to all packs that actually get used hard but it happens over time and we don't realize it's an issue until they're smoked.
Lumbar pad does the same. Finally noticed mine looking really flat one day last season. New one was oh so nice. Wish I would have ordered shoulder straps at the same time.

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
One thing to keep in mind when looking at pack frames is the contour profile. Some are “curved” and some are straight as an arrow. It obviously depends on an individuals anatomy to determine which one fits better. Generally speaking, the straight frames are actually likely not the correct fit for a lot of people. MR frames are straight. Likely not the highest degree of comfort for many. Stand firm against a wall and see how much “gap” there is between the wall and your lower back. Quick test. As far as price, most MR packs are built overseas.
Good thoughts I did notice the curvature in the frame stays on the k4 pack frame. My Eberlestock does have some curve to
It but not much it’s pretty straight.

I've never been able to weigh mine. I just describe the load and everyone can make their own conclusions as to what it likely weighs. All I can say is that an entire quartered caribou is MF'n heavy.
I have a 300# scale at home, and I have not bottomed it out with any pack yet😂

114# is the heaviest I’ve weighed, anything over about 85# sucks unless road walking, and I prefer to stay under 100# if at all possible, I only weigh 150-160 by fall, and 2/3 of my body weight is enough for me, and is brutally heavy.

RCB

WKR
I’m sure others have said this, but… you’ll find plenty of suggestions for pack upgrades in the forums here (it is probably the single most discussed topic). But with a 1.5 mile trip I would have just double tripped it if the full load really sucked. Meaning, two pack outs instead of one. Less strain, much less risk of injury IMO. My apologies if you have already explained why you opted against that.

Wrench

WKR
First, take a solid 1/3 off of anybody's claimed pack out weight. That being said, any of the big 3 (exo, sg, kifaru) will serve you better than anything else. Be willing to pay return shipping, and try em all. Then decide which one you like the feel of best. But I'd put some miles on all of em before making a decision. I got a k4 this year, and it definitely took some breaking in and messing with different fit adjustments before I really started loving it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I've used most packs and it really boils doen to locking down the load and adjusting the pack well.Screenshot_20231127-092153_Photos.jpg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Timgunner,
Sorry for that experience but now you'll know what a good pack is. I know that others use the mainframe especially the shows/hunters sponsored by eberlestock, but as others have said, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru along with maybe a few others are the way to go.
There is a reason why the majority of roksliders go with those.
Eberlestock is a great company but IMO they just don't have a hunting system for heavy loads and I've had their Just1, mainframe and X2.
Do your research.......rokslide is THE place.......and then order a pack. Try it out and if it's not your cup of tea, send it back.
And one other thing........see if there are in roksliders in your area with a pack you are interested in.
We've got a great community here and I know a member or two would be glad to help you out with trying a system.

Randy

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
I’m sure others have said this, but… you’ll find plenty of suggestions for pack upgrades in the forums here (it is probably the single most discussed topic). But with a 1.5 mile trip I would have just double tripped it if the full load really sucked. Meaning, two pack outs instead of one. Less strain, much less risk of injury IMO. My apologies if you have already explained why you opted against that.
The main reason I opted for a single trip was two fold first, I didn’t want to cross the river anymore than I had to, and second was I only had two meat bags. I had helped a friend pack out a doe the previous week and used my other game bags for that. I left one in my freezer wrapped around his hide and the others were in the laundry. I opened up my pack and had to bite my tongue when I realized I had only one meat bag and one stretchy backup (whole carcass) stretchy cheese cloth type bag. I used the one meat bag for the de-boned portion of the deer and put the 4 quarters into the stretchy bag. I debated back and forth on what to do and finally just said screw it I’m gonna suffer 😂

Reactions: RCB
Yeah. Asian sweat shops make for a cheaper product in the end.