Molinator vs LRO Hunters Wedge Mini

Similar style bags, molinator seams a more versatile but my main use would be a rear bag. Substantially different weight.

Anyone tried both that is willing to comment on which they prefer and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
A wedge bag is a one trick pony and only works well with stocks with a slanted bottom to the rear of the stock.

I would only choose a wedge style bag if the above is what you’re looking for and applies.

Good point. Currently all my rifles have the slanted rear stock angle that would ride the bag. Always shoot with a bipod but can see how others would like a bag like the game changer but idk if that’s the best route for me

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a one trick pony, the wedge is best at its application for shooting prone with front rest or bipod, if the stock has the slanted toe. Although there are guys running it with chassis and flat stock, it is unusual.

I am biased because I make them for LRO. There are lots of reviews about their use in that situation.

The only other situation I use it in is shooting off the tripod when a leg is extended level with foot behind me when sitting on a mountainside. Essentially it is wedged between the stock and the leg doing the same thing.

OP
T
I just took delivery of the mini wedge and while I haven’t shot it yet, I’m very impressed. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

It may be a one trick pony but that’s all I needed for how I typically shoot

I've tried both. The hunters wedge just was not the correct angles for my manners long range hunter. I never felt like it was that stable because I didn't have the correct geometry for it and it didn't really flex at all. The molinator it's a lot more versatile, and currently my go-to choice for hunting. I've only had it for a few range trips, so long term I can't say, but I do like it from my experiences so far.

OP
T
The LRO mini is too small, get the bigger size.

Can you share your detailed experience between the two? I’m tempted to buy the normal size too but ounces are important to me when it comes to hunting with the bag

wapitibob

WKR
I haven't purchased the bigger one, weight has been the issue.
I need to put another bag under the mini when at the range. It's been unusable shooting prone in the field with the bipod legs extended a bit more, just too low for me. I think the big bag and the spacer might be about perfect for me in the field but again, weight. I see the benefit of the waxed canvas mtl, the bag holds it's shape way better than a rectangular super light bag I bought. I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the big bag and spacer, I haven't found anything better.

OP
T
I haven't purchased the bigger one, weight has been the issue.
I need to put another bag under the mini when at the range. It's been unusable shooting prone in the field with the bipod legs extended a bit more, just too low for me. I think the big bag and the spacer might be about perfect for me in the field but again, weight. I see the benefit of the waxed canvas mtl, the bag holds it's shape way better than a rectangular super light bag I bought. I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the big bag and spacer, I haven't found anything better.

Keep in mind the normal hunters wedge is no taller than the mini wedge. Won’t gain anything from a height perspective with the large but I would imagine it would provide an even more solid rear rest

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure how i missed that, back to square one. I thought it was cpl inches taller.
Yeah, the mini wedge is shorter, not taller. It’s a limitation when you gotta go higher bipod legs.

Others use our 2.5 ounce Ultralight to get the lift, if they can’t get a flat rock. If you have the Triple S bag, that will give you a little more at about 7.5 ounces.

OP
T
Yeah, the mini wedge is shorter, not taller. It’s a limitation when you gotta go higher bipod legs.

Others use our 2.5 ounce Ultralight to get the lift, if they can’t get a flat rock. If you have the Triple S bag, that will give you a little more at about 7.5 ounces.

Mini wedge is shorter? On LRO the mini gets called out as 5.5” tall and the normal hunters wedge is 5”

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mini wedge is shorter? On LRO the mini gets called out as 5.5” tall and the normal hunters wedge is 5”

The Mini is shorter front to back is what I was referring to. The design saves weight by removing the pointy end of the wedge. In the field, with the .5 difference the Mini ends up functionally the same height as the full size Wedge.

It is the extra length of the full size creating more contact with the stock that does give more support and more stability like you suggested.

There is a functional limit of about 5 to 7 inches that a bag can give of actual support from the ground to the stock without becoming unweildy in the hand, too tall for the base so it wobbles, super heavy, etc. If you are extending your bipod legs up high or the shot angle requires it, that's where you exceed that maximum and then need a base for the rear bag.

You can't really make a bag that isn't big, heavy, or unweildy to get you higher. So those who use prone a lot and have taller bipods get creative with what they have, or they bring along another small base bag, which is why LRO sells the bottom bag.

I've seen and heard of rocks, logs, packs, puffy jackets, bino packs, stoves, etc. all used to get the rear bag up higher.

Last edited:

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have the mini and experienced high misses when I didn't put a good amount of downward pressure on the bag. Now I'm hesitant to buy the Molonator because of it.

OP
T
I have the mini and experienced high misses when I didn't put a good amount of downward pressure on the bag. Now I'm hesitant to buy the Molonator because of it.

Interesting… I would think any of the hunters wedges would greatly reduce or eliminate the high misses because of how much the rifle stock is in contact with the angle of the wedge

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No. It’s an angled stock, and an angled bag- it wants to move the rear end of the stock down during recoil.
Bottom line, if there is a miss high—outside of the natural wobble—it is because the rifle hasn’t been controlled during recoil. The amount of movement to miss that high is more than the rifle could slide during the instant of recoil.

Shooters who have good form can use no bag, a squishy bag, or wedge bag and not miss outside of their natural wobble. And they do it with angled stocks.

Case in point, the typical flat rectangular shooting bag that is held in the hand is still on the sloped stock, maybe a couple of inches. It is there to reduce the wobble zone. The shooter controls the rifle and keeps the buttstock from dropping in recoil.

As far as the wedge on wedge, if the stock is angled, the bag shape makes no difference. A square or round bag with fill ends up conforming to the angle.

The wedge is a tool designed to help mitigate the recoil, because it is hard to control a heavily recoiling rifle and many shooters haven’t had the instruction or training.

When the rifle is fully supported by any bag that doesn’t collapse, the amount that it moves as the stock goes down the slope is minimal. The wedge is designed to the stock, so it maximizes the shape for support. It doesn’t increase the slide down the angle any more than any other bag.

So, for the person deciding between the Wedge and another bag, if the misses are high on the Wedge, then the shooter has more recoil than the form they are using, the position they are in, or the body can control. And, switching to a different bag won’t help because it isn’t the bag itself.

The shooter who said he missed high with the wedge, seemed to acknowledge that pushing the rifle down into the bag presented the benefits and he got precision, which is what is expected.

Once there was play in the system, recoil exploited it. So, the shooter is right that switching to the lighter and non-wedge shaped bag won’t change.

It is something in the execution, and helping the shooter with form and technique will bring the improvement. It may be the overall shooter technique or how to use the wedge more effectively as a tool.

Anyone is free to reach out to me to talk about how to effectively use the Hunters Wedge or any other bag.

Having experimented a ton with bags, and improved/trained in improving my own technique, I can give a good perspective.