MOLLE-MUFF / RECON HANDWARMER Change my Mind

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm planning for my first elk hunt this year in WY in late October. I have the Shale touch hybrid gloves and I was looking to pick up the Grizzly 2.0 Trigger mitts or something similar for colder weather. However, I started looking at the First Lite Molle-Muff, the Eberlestock Recon Handwarmer, and similar options as opposed to heavy gloves.

Has anyone here went that route, possibly tried both? What's your opinions on handmuffs vs heavy gloves? Why should I just go with the heavy gloves?

Jbehredt

WKR
I get terribly cold hands. Bad circulation. Heavy gloves and even mittens do little for me so it’s medium fleece gloves (sg graupel) and the fhf muff with hot hands after September. Hangs nicely from the bino harness .

I use the mole muff on a bino harness. Works great for hand warmth. I can hunt with a much thinner or no glove at all in cold conditions. I like the set up a lot when static like in a deer stand or ground blind. I like it less when I am moving and need my hands to balance / pick through rocks and woods or when I am carrying something. When I carry my bow, I swap the bow between my hands and rotate the one that stays in the muff.

last thought, a jacket with good pockets can play the same role. Different use, but if I am deer hunting in my solitude jacket, I just drop hand warmers in there and dont need a muff.

My jacket has pockets and it’s one less thing for me to carry. I’ve also never used a muff, but I’m not sure it would get used much by me.

ChrisAU

WKR
Only thing I use is black ovis San Juan three finger gloves and my pockets. And my hands get cold too.

Wrhyne

FNG
I appreciate the multi function aspect of my hand muff (Sitka incinerator). Glassing pad, pillow at camp.

The reason for on hand protection would be for use while glassing etc.

Now my advice is based on fingers that don't do well.

I have the Grizzly mitts and if you need durability they are the way to go. But I had to run hot hands in those this year as well.

I haven't tried a muff.

I'm considering the black diamond mercury mitts.

And @WeiserBucks swears my the Kuiu Super down pro.

I haven't made up my mind.

I'll probably keep the Grizzly Mitts for use on the quad.
A muff sounds ok.
But I don't usually hike with my hands in pockets.

I also have the OR hybrid gloves. Can't remember the exact name. But they are a merino and leather glove. I really like them.
But they are not warm enough for me if its really cold.

I also size up on my heavy gloves to wear liners under. And or slip off for a shot if needed.

For strictly glassing, merino liner w/ Kuiu Superdown Pro is tough to beat in my experience. If you require durability look for something else.

OP
T

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My plans with the hand muff was to attach it to my belt, keeping it just below the waistline. Is there a reason I don't them advertised being used in that manner?

TN2shot07

WKR
My plans with the hand muff was to attach it to my belt, keeping it just below the waistline. Is there a reason I don't them advertised being used in that manner?
Most of them come with a belt for around your waist, that’s how I use mine but I carry it in my pack until I get where I’m going. (Sitka incinerator)