Monster Transmissions , anybody use them ?

CRJR45

WKR
So I'm one month away from leaving for a 5000 mile round trip to New Mexico and my transmission started acting up , so I'm looking to replace it .
2016 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 with 145K miles on it , My mechanic wants to service this one and add the anti shudder additive for the torque convertor and see if that helps .
I'm of the mind just replace it and be done .
Anybody have any input ?
Have you used Monster or do you have another company to suggest ?
Thanks for any and all ideas .

No reference on Monster, but have you been servicing it on regular intervals?

I don't know that I wouldn't just go with what the mechanic is telling you. I have seen plenty of problems out of rebuilds too so it's no guarantee of problem free.

dtrkyman

WKR
Every situation is different, a friend had his Silverado acting up last fall, local mechanic said it was fine and he would drive that truck to California,he is in Illinois, long story short he didn't make it 100 miles and smoked the trans!

Never heard of monster.

I have seen fresh fluid smoke a trans quick that was "acting up"

According to a friend thats owns a trans shop my other friends trans could have saved with a new torque converter.

His is a 14 with the 5.3 so probably a different trans?

Tough call.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
No reference on Monster, but have you been servicing it on regular intervals?

I don't know that I wouldn't just go with what the mechanic is telling you. I have seen plenty of problems out of rebuilds too so it's no guarantee of problem free.
Yes on the service , and I agree about rebuilds having problems .
But , I'd rather replace it than have a break down in the middle of a no where BFE , you know ?
I plan on keeping this truck for as long as I can so why put off replacing it ?

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Every situation is different, a friend had his Silverado acting up last fall, local mechanic said it was fine and he would drive that truck to California,he is in Illinois, long story short he didn't make it 100 miles and smoked the trans!

Never heard of monster.

I have seen fresh fluid smoke a trans quick that was "acting up"

According to a friend thats owns a trans shop my other friends trans could have saved with a new torque converter.

His is a 14 with the 5.3 so probably a different trans?

Tough call.
Probably the same tranny , and that is what I think is happening , the converter is locking up ?
It's $400 to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid , shit that's almost the cost of labor for the swap , you know ?

Yes on the service , and I agree about rebuilds having problems .
But , I'd rather replace it than have a break down in the middle of a no where BFE , you know ?
I plan on keeping this truck for as long as I can so why put off replacing it ?

I completely get where you are coming from.

Look into the warranty and what they will cover if it does fail short term.

Probably the same tranny , and that is what I think is happening , the converter is locking up ?
It's $400 to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid , shit that's almost the cost of labor for the swap , you know ?

The '14's had torque converter problems. If you have same components I'd look at a torque converter swap. I was thinking it was fixed by 16 but maybe not.

I can't remember what exactly the issue was, maybe torque converter material?

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
The '14's had torque converter problems. If you have same components I'd look at a torque converter swap. I was thinking it was fixed by 16 but maybe not.

I can't remember what exactly the issue was, maybe torque converter material?
I'm not sure about the same components , sounds like you have a better handle on that than I . That's kinda what I was hoping to find , someone that had used them and could vouch for the warranty program or that was happy with the tranny .
I'm not sure what I want , spending less money is a good thing , but the piece of mind of having the whole thing replaced is appealing too .
I am a worry wart when it comes to these things and I tend to throw money at problems , hoping they go away , LOL

I'm not sure about the same components , sounds like you have a better handle on that than I . That's kinda what I was hoping to find , someone that had used them and could vouch for the warranty program or that was happy with the tranny .
I'm not sure what I want , spending less money is a good thing , but the piece of mind of having the whole thing replaced is appealing too .
I am a worry wart when it comes to these things and I tend to throw money at problems , hoping they go away , LOL

I tend to just go til it blows, or burns, or whatever.

I mean I service stuff, but if it's not going to ruin a bunch of other stuff when it goes, I'll run it til it's done, usually.

I'm piecing together info from memory, so take with a grain of salt on what I havecsaud on the Trans stuff, but pretty certain. Few friends had issues. One just put in 2 new transmissions in past 2 months. I can find out who he used.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I tend to just go til it blows, or burns, or whatever.

I mean I service stuff, but if it's not going to ruin a bunch of other stuff when it goes, I'll run it til it's done, usually.

I'm piecing together info from memory, so take with a grain of salt on what I havecsaud on the Trans stuff, but pretty certain. Few friends had issues. One just put in 2 new transmissions in past 2 months. I can find out who he used.
Thank you .

I would drop the fluid and look at the pan/filter. If it's full of sparkles or smells burnt. I would put the $400 towards the rebuild. 5k trip is pretty long if you are already having issues.

TheHammer

WKR
A quick google search had me raise an eyebrow at the price. Trouble finding an address…. A couple red flags and then the reviews…. There is your answer.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 64

TheHammer

WKR
A lot of components can last longer with additives. I wouldn’t hesitate to take your mechanics word for it. The in-law grand parents have a 17 suburban and have 130k on it. They were having issues a couple weeks ago. Didn’t know who to take it to. They were hosting a family function and I put a bottle of Lucas trans stop slip in it and they went to Canada on a fishing trip and came back 2700miles round trip no issues…. I would flush it, put two bottles of that in and do your hunting trip.