Monster Transmissions , anybody use them ?

TheHammer

WKR
I only laugh because there are A LOT of shops that prefer a Jasper for a reman over all the others out there.

Jasper has been around for decades. Says something...
You do not get paid the second, third, forth or fifth time to replace a component before it can even leave the shop. First hand experience has shown as of the past couple years it is no longer the case…. Jasper also recently purchased weller…. Never had I in 17 years had an issue with a weller reman, until such. See plenty of questionable component “rebuilds” now. Most recently, Union Pacific’s trucks are fleet owned by ARI company, ari prefers jasper (face value) one truck this month a 2016 f550 needing a 6.7. After the 3rd one, we disassembled it and figured out what was wrong with this particular one, had it properly machined and reassembled, now we wait for jasper to pay us….. another ari truck a 2015 freightliner sd122, 8.9l cummins, turbo issues. After the 2nd jasper turbo was failed on the vgt actuator new out of the box. An oe holeset was installed, calibrated and perfect to go… that was the 2 most recent. Speaking from experience, waiting to receive payment and those two companies to finish finger pointing… I see no amusement.

deerlick

FNG
Our shop sells 200k a year worth of jasper engines and transmissions and rarely ever have a problem with them. We used to use alot of gm transmissions but had too many problems, some right out of the box wouldn't work right. I've had a few customers use monster and had problems with them and ended up with jasper after all. Nobody is perfect but I'd take a jasper anyway over any other rebuilder right now.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my ram 2500 it HAD a monster trans 48re (shitty no matter what) and it lasted me 63 days from when I bought the truck. Thankfully, found a car dealer who didn't know what they had and got it for a good deal, and they even had a 90 day warranty. They covered the cost of putting a new trans in.

So my experience is not so good. Either the torque converter failed or snapped the input shaft, was pulling out of a fishing sport and making a right turn to go up hill, around 25mph all gears turned to neutral. I was 500 miles from home, shop didn't even diag, just ordered a new one for fastest turn around time.

One of the few places i'd have my transmission done if I needed it

You do not get paid the second, third, forth or fifth time to replace a component before it can even leave the shop. First hand experience has shown as of the past couple years it is no longer the case…. Jasper also recently purchased weller…. Never had I in 17 years had an issue with a weller reman, until such. See plenty of questionable component “rebuilds” now. Most recently, Union Pacific’s trucks are fleet owned by ARI company, ari prefers jasper (face value) one truck this month a 2016 f550 needing a 6.7. After the 3rd one, we disassembled it and figured out what was wrong with this particular one, had it properly machined and reassembled, now we wait for jasper to pay us….. another ari truck a 2015 freightliner sd122, 8.9l cummins, turbo issues. After the 2nd jasper turbo was failed on the vgt actuator new out of the box. An oe holeset was installed, calibrated and perfect to go… that was the 2 most recent. Speaking from experience, waiting to receive payment and those two companies to finish finger pointing… I see no amusement.

And then there are all the others that have never had a problem.

This is the issue with anecdotal evidence...

In the shop we usually see the fancy purple or green transmissions have to come back out and go back to the builder 1 out of 3 transmissions. Some companies it seems like it is every transmission. The companies usually don't want to cover labor (usually at best covering a percentage of labor), don't want to cover the extra 2 way shipping, and won't cover the extra fluid - even if it fails out of the box, which it frequently does. Once you get it on the road driving if it has a failure they will try to get out of it and again you are paying at least some of the labor and all of the shipping and fluid to send their screw up back to get fixed. If you have to go that route find a company close to you and have them install.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Well , GM trans is on backorder and no telling when it will be back in stock , plus it's $4600 plus labor , $6900 total .
Not sure what to do now . The shop in town says he can rebuild it for $5600 , but he doesn't get very good reviews .
Back to I have no idea .... LOL

CorbLand

WKR
Well , GM trans is on backorder and no telling when it will be back in stock , plus it's $4600 plus labor , $6900 total .
Not sure what to do now . The shop in town says he can rebuild it for $5600 , but he doesn't get very good reviews .
Back to I have no idea .... LOL
Junk yards around your area? Maybe they have one that you could pull and have put in.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
What are the symptoms? At those prices, it makes sense to do fluid, filter, and torque convertor. If you still have problems, keep the torque converter for the next trans. You'll be out the cost of the labor, fluid, and filter.

ikeG

FNG
If someone can confirm torque converter slip with a scan tool, replacing fluid, filter and converter can fix it. The problem is all the converter clutch debris is now packed into the heat exchanger in the radiator, restricting flow.
Your truck is equipped with a trans oil heat exchanger in the radiator and then it goes into a cooler out behind the bumper & grill. A trans shop or chevy dealer can hook their flush machine up and it will measure flow after flushing to decide if they need replacement.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
What are the symptoms? At those prices, it makes sense to do fluid, filter, and torque convertor. If you still have problems, keep the torque converter for the next trans. You'll be out the cost of the labor, fluid, and filter.
OK , this trans has 147K on it now and was rebuilt under warranty at 30K , they just did the 5-6 clutches and some other stuff .
Now I was going 80 mph on cruise and it started slowing down , like I was hitting a massive head wind , did it three times . Gauges all normal , trans temp 174 on a 90 degree day . I was headed to the gun range , and when I left I floored it , when it hit 60 mph it sounded like it hit the rev limiter and cut out , but it was only at 5000 rpm's .
Now it just feels like it doesn't know if it wants to shift or not .
I don't want to buy a converter and contaminate it using it in a bad transmission , then try to use it in a new tranny .

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
If someone can confirm torque converter slip with a scan tool, replacing fluid, filter and converter can fix it. The problem is all the converter clutch debris is now packed into the heat exchanger in the radiator, restricting flow.
Your truck is equipped with a trans oil heat exchanger in the radiator and then it goes into a cooler out behind the bumper & grill. A trans shop or chevy dealer can hook their flush machine up and it will measure flow after flushing to decide if they need replacement.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
This makes sense , sounds like what I need . But at what cost ? I'd rather just replace it and be done seeings how I leave in a month for a long trip , you know ?
If not for the timing , yes that makes sense . But I have one window to get it in , the dealers are two and three weeks out .
I hope to get it to the dealer today for just that , diagnostics , but it's still iffy if they can get the trans .

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
If the heat exchanger is full of crap, you'll be flushing or replacing it either way. Might as well flush it now and see if it helps.

You could place the order for the replacement transmission and have the inspection/repairs done on the current transmission in the meantime. If the repairs fix your problems, cancel the order for the replacement.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
OK , I'm going with a local Transmission shop - https://montereytransmissions.net/ . Stopped and talked to the guy today and got a good feel from him . He said he uses a billet torque converter , new TECHM , flushes everything , high pressure pump and a few other things . Builds them on site .
Started going through my local business friends/contacts and two guys I trust both said they would recommend this shop , one of them is close friends with the owner and told me to tell the owner we are friends .
So I feel a little better . Thanks everyone for the input , it was most appreciated

SDHNTR

WKR
OK , I'm going with a local Transmission shop - https://montereytransmissions.net/ . Stopped and talked to the guy today and got a good feel from him . He said he uses a billet torque converter , new TECHM , flushes everything , high pressure pump and a few other things . Builds them on site .
Started going through my local business friends/contacts and two guys I trust both said they would recommend this shop , one of them is close friends with the owner and told me to tell the owner we are friends .
So I feel a little better . Thanks everyone for the input , it was most appreciated
That’s the way to do it. A local shop who uses good parts and builds them up in the house. That way there’s no finger-pointing going on if something goes south. Better option than buying a tranny in a crate.

A great local trans shop is priceless, I didn't even recommend the idea because they are so few and far between. My local awesome shop finally closed down last year, ma and pa decided to retire and enjoy life after she survived cancer. I hope this local shop you found knocks it out of the park for you.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Just a follow up . I'm very happy so far with the job Monterey Transmission did on my truck .
Driving it now I realize it had been acting up since I've owned it , it was shuttering and I thought it was fuel related , or something .
They checked the transfer case , had to replace the nylon tip on the shifter fork and changed the fluid .
I have just under three hundred miles and they want it back at five .
Everything was $6000 out the door .

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Hate to be a smart a** but trade it for a Ford and move on.
Ha , I hear Ford has an option for a heated tailgate , so your hands won't get cold as you push it when it breaks down .
There are much cheaper forms of ground blinds than a Ford truck and they're much easier to move , because the Ford is going to strand you , it's just a matter of when and where .
Why do you drive a Ford ? Wouldn't Toyota sell you a Rav 4 ?
I could go on all day , but if I wanted to expel this much energy on a Ford , I'd own one .