Montana 2021 Non-Resident Deer Combo draw survey

I applied for a 2020 Montana non-resident DEER COMBO license and:

• DID NOT draw a license with 2 preference points

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

j_volt

WKR
25% of non resident Deer Combination Licenses are reserved for applicants with 0 points. Last year, the chance of drawing a Deer Combo tag with 1 preference point vs 0 preference points was essentially equal (~ 56% for the 1 pointers and ~55% for 0 pointers. Toprut posted an article on this). Likely, the odds shifted this year where 0 preference point applicants had a better chance of drawing this tag than 1 preference point applicants.
For the deer combo in 2020, the odds were 56.52% with 0 points and 78.19% with 1 point.

That's a great point and a tough one too. Glad you've got a group to hunt with, just tough if you don't draw - do you go when you don't draw?
I would, but haven’t had that issue. My buddies drew a fantastic LE Unit and I was going to call and help with any packing and hunt on my own under a general tag... but then work F¥€£ED me over and I ate the majority of the tag price because it was so late.

Ha!! I’m surprisingly pissed all over again!

We bought the wrong points and had bonus points instead of preference points. Still drew as a party of 4 with no points.

j_volt

WKR
I sent Montana FWP an email to get the draw odds as the CPA in me wants to know. They are not yet available, but could be any day. Last year, they emailed them to me months before they were available on the website.

Scottf270

WKR
I inquired about a refund on the licenses and stamps I have no use for. Told no refund on them.
Asked if I now have 2 points as I bought one before the draw and then didn't draw. Told nope. If you don't pony up for the preference point, you don't even get one for being unsuccessful.
Looked at 2020 odds and since 2013, applications have risen from 6,000 to over 13,000. First year we haven't drawn since 2010.
Weird system to understand sometimes. Also found out that Antelope is bonus points, not preference. Guess I never looked. Just knew we were accruing some kind of points.
Gotta make up mind on Antelope by June 1st.

BuzzH

WKR
I drew the elk/deer combo every year as a NR from 2001 until they adopted the NR come-home-to-hunt tags. Applied for a few years and "drew" every year until they came up with the NR Native license. Cashed in on the $64 deer and $80 elk OTC NR tags on those. Changed again and now the Native license is half price, so buy the NR deer tag OTC.

Glad I don't have to mess with the draw and can buy NR deer OTC. I've held deer and/or elk tags every year in Montana since 1979.

I suspect the NR Native and Come-home-to-hunt programs will likely go away at some point, until then, I'm taking advantage.

Montana needs to overhaul this screwy system. Only have one type of point and have them get burned whether you draw general or limited entry. Kinda like the Wyoming system

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
3 of us applied as individuals, all with 2 pref points, and drew a general deer combo tag.