Montana 620-21

The local biologists are about zero help, mainly because the elk in those units can be about anywhere. The elk take a beating in the breaks just like every other unit in Montana and there aren't any secrets as to where to hunt. You're hunting with at least 1400 of your best friends minimum. Some of the elk are going to push onto private and not leave for most, if not all, of the season. I have rifle hunted the boundaries of the public/private, but probably wouldn't with a bow...many times you need to kill those elk within feet of the boundary.

Most any of the country in the CMR would be a good bet to start, just get away from the roads. The elk tend to bed in the thick junipers, but many times if they get pressure, they find it better to bed in the wide open. That should tell you the kind of pressure they get when they would rather bed where they can see, in the blazing sun, rather than risk heading to the shade.

Depending on where you're at and the year, hunting water can be productive but I wouldn't bank on it.

Your idea of just getting to high points and glassing will work...finding elk in that country is never a problem. Getting them killed is a whole other issue due to pressure, private/public issues, the open nature of the country...combined with a metric shit ton of permits.

The hunting in those units isn't what it used to be quality wise, I wouldn't pass any 6 point you get a good chance at. Like everywhere else in Montana, the FWP is not interested in quality, just killing as many elk as they can.

Take fishing gear and when you get burned out...fish for a day.

I'm curious why you felt the need to help the guy after he got slammed for his attitude.

BuzzH

WKR
I'm curious why you felt the need to help the guy after he got slammed for his attitude.

I'm curious why it matters to you who I help or when? Really none of your concern or business. I would also be curious to know why people are responding that having nothing to offer to the original question. But, that's not my concern or business either...as such, I really don't care.

What was wrong with his attitude? That he snapped back at a couple smart assed comments from guys who have likely never even set foot in the units in question?

To answer your question, even though I don't feel anymore obligation to answer it, than I did offering up some advice to the OP:

The guy asked a question about some country I have hunted successfully several times over the past 20 years. I offered up what I know without getting into specifics to give him a hand. It sounds like he hasn't hunted that area at all, is rather new to elk hunting, and has done a bit of homework.

I have received some help on other boards, not this one yet, from people that didn't owe me anything. There is a national push by many GF agencies, NGO's etc. that hunter numbers are on the decline. To help curb that, the 3 R's are being pushed...RECRUIT new hunters, RETAIN the ones we have, and REACTIVATING hunters that haven't done so in while. I try to do what I can to help with that.

Just decided to give the guy a hand up, instead of a kick to the teeth...

Any problems with that, or are we good?

I'm curious why it matters to you who I help or when? Really none of your concern or business. I would also be curious to know why people are responding that having nothing to offer to the original question. But, that's not my concern or business either...as such, I really don't care.

What was wrong with his attitude? That he snapped back at a couple smart assed comments from guys who have likely never even set foot in the units in question?

To answer your question, even though I don't feel anymore obligation to answer it, than I did offering up some advice to the OP:

The guy asked a question about some country I have hunted successfully several times over the past 20 years. I offered up what I know without getting into specifics to give him a hand. It sounds like he hasn't hunted that area at all, is rather new to elk hunting, and has done a bit of homework.

I have received some help on other boards, not this one yet, from people that didn't owe me anything. There is a national push by many GF agencies, NGO's etc. that hunter numbers are on the decline. To help curb that, the 3 R's are being pushed...RECRUIT new hunters, RETAIN the ones we have, and REACTIVATING hunters that haven't done so in while. I try to do what I can to help with that.

Just decided to give the guy a hand up, instead of a kick to the teeth...

Any problems with that, or are we good?

I find your response pretty abrasive, Buzz, but I'll just say I will respectfully agree to disagree on various levels. There's reason why the collective group went one way and it's your right to disagree and go a different direction.

I don't think Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho have any hunter recruitment issue.

BuzzH

WKR
I find your response pretty abrasive, Buzz, but I'll just say I will respectfully agree to disagree on various levels. There's reason why the collective group went one way and it's your right to disagree and go a different direction.

I don't think Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho have any hunter recruitment issue.

Yeah, opinions vary.

I found the response to a new elk hunter by many way more abrasive...so I guess we'll call it even.

As far as the "collective group"...never was one to put the mickey mouse ears on just to join the club, not my style.

Finally, with well over 2k elk hunters alone running around that area each year, there are no secret spots...that's a fact. I've spent time in about all of it, from Fred Robinson Bridge to Timber Creek...it all gets hunted hard by elk, deer, sheep, and bird hunters.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
I found the response to a new elk hunter by many way more abrasive...so I guess we'll call it even.
Everyone's issue is typically when someone puts a unit in a title. Even though it's a well known area, 1000s of people look on this forum every day. Just like I found out by not only missing my archery tag I missed my big game combo as well this year. Tags are getting harder and harder to draw. People just don't want unnecessary attention on specific units.

I feel most people after contributing a little bit or just BSing will have helpful PMs come their way from people. Most just choose that avenue vs posting for the entirety of the internet to see.

Riplip

WKR
Not sure why peoples immediate reactions are so hostile. Yes I am aware of the issue and understand the OP's original post was frustrating and it seems to happen often, but not everyone knows the rules or has the tact to approach a different way. The negativity on this site gets overwhelming sometimes.

Good on you Buzz for providing a positive response and feedback without divulging specific or detailed info over the public forum.

NDGuy

WKR
Not sure why peoples immediate reactions are so hostile.
I wouldn't exactly call people's comments hostile. More polking fun and suggesting to contribute before getting a handout. All that being said I vote we should have CNELK's FNG post stickied to the top of every discussion forum for everyone to read lol

BuzzH

WKR
Everyone's issue is typically when someone puts a unit in a title. Even though it's a well known area, 1000s of people look on this forum every day. Just like I found out by not only missing my archery tag I missed my big game combo as well this year. Tags are getting harder and harder to draw. People just don't want unnecessary attention on specific units.

I feel most people after contributing a little bit or just BSing will have helpful PMs come their way from people. Most just choose that avenue vs posting for the entirety of the internet to see.

The 620-21 tag is not a specific unit tag...its a tag good for a series of 3 units including 620, 621, and 622 last I checked. The "unit" is at least 75 miles long by an average of 25 miles wide...meaning about 1.2 million acres minimum. The hunting isn't close to what it was 20 years ago, I just checked and in those 3 units, there are over 3K elk tags/permits issued. Pretty tough to keep the lid on those areas with over 3K tags issued.

The breaks, both north and south of the river are not a secret...haven't been for at least 30 years.

The Montana combo license is no secret either, and the OP didn't compete with you for a NR tag...he's a resident.

What I shared is not impacting you or anyone else, in the slightest...

NDGuy

WKR
The Montana combo license is no secret either...
Definitely not haha

It's crazy to see you could draw that tag 100% every year what 3-4 years ago? To now people weren't getting it with 1 preference point.

I understand the point you are making I just think posting units specifically rattle people. It's like posting GPS coordinates for a small lake on a fishing forum. Ya just don't do that!

BuzzH

WKR
Definitely not haha

It's crazy to see you could draw that tag 100% every year what 3-4 years ago? To now people weren't getting it with 1 preference point.

I understand the point you are making I just think posting units specifically rattle people. It's like posting GPS coordinates for a small lake on a fishing forum. Ya just don't do that!

I drew every year I applied for the combo tag when I moved from Montana in 2000 up until I could get them OTC via the NR native/come home to hunt tags. Will be my 39th straight year hunting Montana this fall.

In the 1990's-early 2000's the combo tag was not even close to 100% unless it was outfitter sponsored. Many probably don't remember that a large part of the 17K combo tags were only available to outfitted clients. I don't think the deer combo has ever been 100%.