Montana Alternative list

tom338

FNG
Is there anyplace to see where this list is at as far as what # they on for getting a tag?

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I would think your # would change if they have started issuing tags. No movement showing on mine yet, but hopefully they start issuing some soon…

serorem

FNG
I was curious as well. I’m #306 for an elk tag. Hoping to get one before the archery season starts. 🙏

psp8ball

FNG
FWP told my uncle that the first tags would be issued August 10th. He's 109. He also asked how many returned tags they had. "I dunno" was the response.

serorem

FNG
Questions for you guys that have gotten an alternate tag before, is it a full price tag and do you use up your preference points on it? I’ve been lucky enough to draw a tag every year for the last 14-15yrs and never had an alternate.

Questions for you guys that have gotten an alternate tag before, is it a full price tag and do you use up your preference points on it? I’ve been lucky enough to draw a tag every year for the last 14-15yrs and never had an alternate.
No, preference points are not used if you are offered a deer or elk combo tag as an alternate. Yes, a tag acquired via alternate list is the same full-tag price.

This year I got a favorable # on the the deer combo list (under 350).

Couple things:
  • I moved up approx 100 places yesterday, so alternates are being called
  • Upon a request made earlier this week, MT FWP sent me data on how many alternate tags were issued per year since 2019
I will post the info later today when I have a minute. It appears that approx half that hunters that are lower on the the alternate list end up declining the tag when offered. For example, if 250 total alternate deer combo tags become available in a particular year based on refund/return tags, at least half the alternates will decline (3-year historical trend), so the alternate list ends up at #500 getting offered a tag. [FWIW: In 2019, I started at #600 and was called in late September, but it varies a bit each year.]

Hope this helps!:)

Am planning a SEP trip to hunt Sharptails in MT so sent an email to FWP earlier this week to ask if I might be offered the A-list tag before SEP based on historical data. That way I'd have my bird hunting license included in the deer combo tag before the trip.

FWP got back to me promptly with the following info (note that the info is Deer Combo only):

In 2020, FWP contacted through 256 in the first week of Sept.
In 2021, FWP contacted through 117 in the first week of Sept.

Total numbers of returns/opportunities offered-
In 2019, there were approx. 300 deer combos returned.
In 2020, there were 386 deer combos returned, we contacted through # 527 on the list by early Nov.
In 2021, there were 205 deer combos returned, we contacted through # 406 on the list by mid-Nov.

Other to note: Was described that if I purchase a MT upland hunting license before purchasing the Deer Combo, MT will refund the amount paid for the upland license. I like that answer!