Montana Custer National Forest deer hunting

Was heading to Montana to Custer National forest. Drew a general deer tag, was wanting to know if anyone has hunted and how the pressure is. Plan is to hunt late October. Not asking for anyone’s honey hole, just wanting to get a feel for the area. Any knowledge greatly appreciated!

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
What type of buck are you after? Any buck, 140", 150" or a booner? This would be my first question and will determine where your target area will become.

mtmojo

FNG
Good glass and boots on the ground. Look for places where ya get away from the roads. Eastern MT can be tricky depending upon the weather. Some back roads are tricky when the get too much moisture. Safe travels and good luck.

sambo3006

FNG
Yes, the roads in SE Montana can become impassable quickly with precipitation. Been there, done that. I lost an entire day to gumbo a few years ago. I was driving through a new area at first light and it was fine. A couple hours later when it warmed up, the road turned into wet, sticky slop. I got stuck and spent hours digging clay mud out from my wheel wells. Once I got unstuck, I drove to a dry spot and stayed the rest of the day. First thing the next morning I got the heck out of there while it was still cold enough for the road to be firm.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Have you been there before? If you get rain or some snow, you'll have a couple really miserable days. The muck and gumbo are a real downer. Been doing it for 35 years and there is no out. Bring a deck of cards and a cribbage board.

And have good tires, 10 ply or equivalent. They pave the roads with broken beer bottles and roofing nails, I think. A guy I warned before we went didn't heed my warnings and blew 3 and spent a couple thousand in Broadus.

And the deer numbers are down 90% or more in places there over the last 5-7 years.

Last edited:

mtmojo

FNG
I’ve been closer to Broadus but it was during peak rut and encountered plenty of other hunters. You’ll be going earlier so hopefully fewer people to compete against. It’s the age old adage of good glass and miles in the boots. Get away from the roads and you should find success.

Just a heads up, I have been hunting in that general area for almost 10 years now and the last 2 years there the deer population has dropped drastically. It is pretty depressing to be honest. Try it if you want, but I wouldn't spend all of your time there if I were you.

jimh406

WKR
I'd look at the BLM or Block Management Areas instead. But, as others noted, the roads that aren't paved can be pretty bad with any precipitation. Heck, even the paved roads can be pretty bad.

Was heading to Montana to Custer National forest. Drew a general deer tag, was wanting to know if anyone has hunted and how the pressure is. Plan is to hunt late October. Not asking for anyone’s honey hole, just wanting to get a feel for the area. Any knowledge greatly appreciated!
There be deer in them woods scout and good luck.

ewade07

WKR
You'll be joining the orange army. SE MT gets pounded. Lots of roads with dudes driving them constantly. Those deer have been hit really hard from drought and winter the last few years, numbers are way down.

Arithson

FNG
I imagine you will see people, that's where Randy Newberg directed everyone to go in his fresh tracks episodes etc. that being said i have hunted eastern montana and its a fun hunt, even if u see people u will still see deer
Getting to be more people than deer every year. And Randy dang sure didn’t help matters much giving the exact location. Having lived here all my life it’s pretty sad to see our deer numbers what they are.