Montana Elk season thus far?

I'm heading from Tennessee in two days (Friday, 9/13) for a 7 day archery hunt in the Castle Mountains of Montana. Just excited and cant wait to leave so was wondering if anyone has any hunt reports from central Montana? Even if unsuccessful, experiencing the mountains and bugling elk (hopefully) will be worth it.

jmav58

WKR
Judging by the amount of guys at the bar, I'd say it's not great. It's been quiet for the most part and bulls are still in bachelor groups aside from the older bulls having split off sometime last week. And that's what I've seen in the Castles.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke to my friends hunting up near Ft Logan, seeing lots of elk, they said bugling was wild yesterday, they have one 5 point knocked down, biggest thing is the clouds and rain have been socked in so much, very , very wet right now. I think rut is just getting going in the area, the bull they shot was with two other bulls, one was actually a big 6, but did not offer a shot. You will be alright I imagine, you using a outfitter?

OP
jyoung1901
Thanks for the info! No we are doing DIY. We went through Elk101 and have done as much OnX/Google earth scouting as possible since we have been planning/prepping for a year or so. Just excited going to go put in miles and start the learning process, killing anything will be a huge plus.

Cockeye

WKR
Leave in two days headed home to Montana. All my buddy’s in the breaks are seeing lots bulls still together and the mud is horrendous. They did say the antler growth is much better this year and the grass is green. I’ll be in the belts Sunday morning for 16 days trying to fill elk, bear and muley tag.

OP
jyoung1901
That's a nice bull! So I have heard the breaks get super sloppy with all the rain, I am hoping that NF- 581 that goes through the Castle Mountains is a pretty well groomed road that doesn't get too sloppy? I have a 4x4 with all terrains, i always keep recovery equipment in the truck, but just wondering what the chances are ill need to use it.

MT257

WKR
Leave in two days headed home to Montana. All my buddy’s in the breaks are seeing lots bulls still together and the mud is horrendous. They did say the antler growth is much better this year and the grass is green. I’ll be in the belts Sunday morning for 16 days trying to fill elk, bear and muley tag.

What part of the breaks are they in?

PredatorX

WKR
What do you guys throw in for recovery equipment? ...besides those mud boggers above.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
I've not been in the Castles, but drive by regularly. (I did see a heck of a nice bear near the highway a couple weeks ago.). I could be mistaken but there is a big difference between a mountain FS road and The Breaks. The Breaks being 100 times worse after a rain.

The guys in the Breaks right now may not get out until freeze-up.

MT257

WKR
I've not been in the Castles, but drive by regularly. (I did see a heck of a nice bear near the highway a couple weeks ago.). I could be mistaken but there is a big difference between a mountain FS road and The Breaks. The Breaks being 100 times worse after a rain.

The guys in the Breaks right now may not get out until freeze-up.

I remember in 2014 the breaks in areas had 11 inches a couple weeks before season, I've never seen skeeters that thick before. Hopefully they get a freeze to prevent them from populating. If the weather is in the 70's like it shows over the next week it should be dry up fine.

There are enough elk in the Breaks you don't have to bury your truck to the axles getting to them. Just walk a lil ways and you'll have the place to yourself.

hobbes

WKR
There are enough elk in the Breaks you don't have to bury your truck to the axles getting to them. Just walk a lil ways and you'll have the place to yourself.
No elk hunting in the Breaks for me, but I have been in there during a rain and stayed with some folks from Brusette in the spring. You get taller and your feet get heavier as you hike.