Montana Archery Elk Draw Question

A-Brakke

FNG
Hi Guys,

I live here in Montana but new to any sort of special draws. I turned in a permit application for Archery Elk out of Ashland, MT which is a near 100% draw for residents such as myself. That said, there may be a slight change in plans and I was wondering if it’s possible to turn in the permit so I can hunt a OTC unit instead. Obviously turned in well prior to season start. Any help or answer would be great!

-Andrew

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys,

I live here in Montana but new to any sort of special draws. I turned in a permit application for Archery Elk out of Ashland, MT which is a near 100% draw for residents such as myself. That said, there may be a slight change in plans and I was wondering if it’s possible to turn in the permit so I can hunt a OTC unit instead. Obviously turned in well prior to season start. Any help or answer would be great!

-Andrew
No

Hi Guys,

-Andrew
Not how that works… and if you draw it’s the only place you can hunt elk with your bow

My understanding is it’s the only place you can hunt bull elk with a bow. You can still bow hunt a general area but only for an antlerless elk.
I guess the way I read it was a permit for either sex elk means you can only hunt there so I guess it may be how they interpret it

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Yes since the permit is either sex, you will not be able to hunt on a general tag during the archery season, but you can hunt during the rifle season.

In years past there was a period when you could change your application, but with only two weeks between the deadline and draw now, so there is not enough time. We should know by next week what we drew.

Not much confusion to the yellow highlighted part in my mind. “Antlerless elk hunting is not limited to the drawn permit area”

Attachments

• 5206FADA-E5D9-467C-980F-12C561D99D96.jpeg
    5206FADA-E5D9-467C-980F-12C561D99D96.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
Spoke with Fish and Game today. Looks like I’ll simply be crossing not to draw the tag….73% draw….

Spoke with Fish and Game today. Looks like I’ll simply be crossing not to draw the tag….73% draw….
I was about say for the last 3 years that has not been 100%. I remember when it used to be 100% on second choice! They say anything about pulling application? Bummer when people draw then never hunt it.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
I was about say for the last 3 years that has not been 100%. I remember when it used to be 100% on second choice! They say anything about pulling application? Bummer when people draw then never hunt it.
I’ll absolutely use it. Just a curve ball got thrown in the plans.