Montana Legislation Continues Cocaine-Fueled Trip

Deadfall

WKR
I have zero pity for landowners and overpopulation of elk on their lands. I went through this when I moved to Texas. All I heard before moving to Texas was how pigs were destroying everything. Pigs everywhere, ruining fields, crops, property, etc. Oh, the horror! Guess what I found when I moved to Texas? No one will let you hunt pigs for free. It’s a pay to play. So the landowners complain about a nuisance animal, but then refuse to allow people to help with their problem unless they are compensated. Their land, their choice. No problem with that at all. But guess what? It completely invalidates their complaints and pleas for help against the pigs. So any member of UPOM who complains against elk ruining their fences and land, and turns away hunters with tags who can reduce herd size and push elk off their land, is to me a hypocrite. I believe they want the elk on their land and they want as many tags as they can get their hands on to capitalize on the resource until it is decimated.
You are correct. Been going on too long. Everyone needs to start pushing for all landowner tags to hit the open market. Use that money to fund BMA and incentivize them to enroll.

Deadfall

WKR
Raise your hand if you think these MT legislators are allies to sportsmen.

***Fart noise
In fairness to the legislators they have to hear every bill that is brought forward and filed before the deadline. This particular bill is being requested by a landowner. Is not being sponsored by a senator. This is why we have committees. So all the hundreds of bills that come forward dont have to be scene by everyone. A few folks in committee looks over stuff associated with their committee and if seems reasonable to them then its moved up the chain.

The time to start emailing and calling is now, before theyve even taken the time to look at it. Put out perspective in their head first.

Deadfall

WKR
What we need is our own committee. Draft a bill of our own to send forward. Work out something that gives landowners a good incentive to enroll in BMA. Also gives NR a good chance of drawing. Also gives residents incentives. Also helps legitimate outfitters. Also revamp the MOGA board every few years, a term limit type thing.

FYI..Yes im sitting here laughing at what I just wrote. Have seen way more impossible things happen.

Goatboy22

FNG
Am I to assume that all these units that are over objective don't have wolves? Serious question.

Goatboy22

FNG
I only hunt birds in Montana so I really don't know the elk units. I always figured though, if the cattle were permitted livestock on public lands all summer, weather Forest Service or BLM, then the ranchers could put up with some elk on their private lands during the winter. Sorry if my thinking is off base here.

Legend

WKR
In my opinion privatizing wildlife is a terrible idea. In the long run it just encourages wealthy people to by land for hunting. Which takes it out of production for the next generation to farm and ranch.

Legend

WKR
If we want to reduce herds it is quite simple. Make the units that are over objective COW and SPIKE ONLY units. Once there is no incentive to raise trophy elk for their wealthy friends then they would be selling and moving on.

Reactions: R-K

MT257

WKR
They didn't get their wishes with the outfitter bill so now they want to get 10 transferable landowner tags? Landowners and outfitters get all tags for the paying clients/friends they want. Regardless of how many elk are on their land?

I guess I am not seeing any benefits for a DIY Montana hunter. More dead elk, less reason for landowners to let DIY guys on their land (even for a cow). What is happening in MT right now is not good at all.
This was in the drafting process before 143 didn’t go as planned and would have surfaced no matter what. Wylie Galt I would guess has been working on this since the last legislative session.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This one I honestly think isn't too far off the mark. They are adding more NR tags that are good on private land only in units that are over objective. This isn't limiting the DIY guy at all so I like that. I also like the idea of more hunting pressure on private in those units to get the elk off the private and back onto public...this is a major problem in central montana in my opinion. Section 2 also allows for selling cow tags to NR's on private land in those same units which I also think is generally a good thing.

I think FWP should take a look at this and think about implementing something like it. I do not think this should be legislated obviously.
This is another bullshit bill and we all know it. Who cares if they add NR tags good for private property if the landowners don't allow access? That's putting lipstick on a pig. The MT legislature is making a mockery out of sound management practices and kissing the ring of the private landowners and outfitters

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not to mention the part that would grant a hunter 5 bonus points for elk if they elected to only hunt cows for one year.
Who needs bonus points anymore after they do away with the limited entry permits? There's a bill that wants to do exactly that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
These land owner tags would be like our current land owner tags and good for the unit not just the private land that in its self is bullshit let alone giving these guys 10 tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
These land owner tags would be like our current land owner tags and good for the unit not just the private land that in its self is bullshit let alone giving these guys 10 tags
Edit: Heath pointed out the commission can vote to allow them anywhere in the unit...we know how that would eventually go lol

The way the bill is currently written they would have to be used on their own land....that actually happening 100% of the time however is another story lol

1613656170916.png

Last edited: