Montana or Colorado

Dalep

FNG
Looking to take my nephew on his first and second western hunt. My sisters a single mother so always try to do something once a year with him for “guy time” and prefer someplace his phone dosnt work.

I have points for antelope in Wyoming and we will be going there for sure. But I want to do two hunts this year. I don’t have points in any other state so looking at best place to draw with zero points or OTC. Not chasing trophies, just the experience. Want to do DIY only on public land and we will camp or stay in flea bag motels. What is everyone’s recommendations? I don’t want anyone’s secret spot, just which state and maybe a unit that has antelope for guarantee draws. Another state I’m overlooking?

Like Montana just because I have a friend up in great falls who I can stop by to say hello but I’ll go where the opportunity for him to get on an antelope is.

Thanks
Dale

bsnedeker

WKR
Montana is all draw for speed goats. Not sure what odds look like but I didn't draw last year as a resident on 0 points.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Agree with the above. I had a couple great hunts on OTC archery tags however I had private land lined up. If it takes little to no points most time there is a reason and that reason almost always is lack of public access

OP
D

Dalep

FNG
Started looking at 550 in Montana as it’s 100% last year draw. Everything says access issues but hoping to pull it up on Onx tomorrow on computer for a better looo

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
There's a little block management and a little state land in 550, but not a ton of goats. It'll get hit really hard by the locals the first weekend, and most goats on public will be shot. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't travel all the way to MT to hunt that unit. The huntable area is not that big.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dalep

FNG
We are definitely hunting Wyoming. Just wanting to add a second state this year. Are the Dakota’s or anywhere an option? Thinking may need to look at trespass fees for Montana

bsnedeker

WKR
We are definitely hunting Wyoming. Just wanting to add a second state this year. Are the Dakota’s or anywhere an option? Thinking may need to look at trespass fees for Montana

Are you open to archery? The 900-20 tag in MT has pretty good odds and it can be a pretty fun hunt if you aren't opposed to going home empty-handed.

OP
D

Dalep

FNG
I’m open to it but my 14 year old nephew has never picked up a bow. Empty handed is fine, just more the fun of the hunt