Colorado Unit 87?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 points stacked up and i am looking to go to unit 87 for a antelope hunt. Do you thing I have enough points and that is a good unit to go to. If not what are your suggestions?

I just got back from unit 87. Took me 5 points to draw. Hunting was hard. Pawnee grassland was packed, and dry hot conditions made it worse. My mistake was not being there for opening morning and scouting a day or so before season opened. I hunted Sunday though Tuesday. The only large bucks I saw were on neighboring private. I ended up getting lucky and saw a smaller buck on Tuesday that I was happy to harvest after a hard few days. In past years I hunted unit 110 private and tagged out on opening day.

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    790.3 KB · Views: 43

RPWS1989

FNG
I’ve hunted unit 87 and 88 my entire life as I live in unit 88. Neither unit is what they used to be. A lot fewer antelope than we’re used to. Both are a zoo during rifle season. Depending on what size of buck you’re looking for and what kind of hunt you’re wanting to have would determine whether or not I would hunt either unit. You’re going to need 5 points to draw either unit.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve hunted unit 87 and 88 my entire life as I live in unit 88. Neither unit is what they used to be. A lot fewer antelope than we’re used to. Both are a zoo during rifle season. Depending on what size of buck you’re looking for and what kind of hunt you’re wanting to have would determine whether or not I would hunt either unit. You’re going to need 5 points to draw either unit.
I’m curious why the herd numbers are dropping. Go to Wyoming and there are thousands of antelope, they’re like rats.

Are they giving out too many tags?

RPWS1989

FNG
I’m curious why the herd numbers are dropping. Go to Wyoming and there are thousands of antelope, they’re like rats.

Are they giving out too many tags?
They started giving out way too many tags for both units probably 12-15 years ago. Both units used to take 8+ points and produced some great goats. DOW did a herd count from a plane and realized there were more animals than they thought so they upped the tag numbers. Between that and some of the nasty late snow storms we’ve had, have decimated the numbers. We have around 4,000 acres we own in 88 and used to never have to leave our own property to kill a 75” type buck. This year I saw one small herd on our property and only saw them one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.