Montana run down

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone briefly inform me if I can buy points in Montana for deer and Elk after the deadline like Wyoming does ? and do they have pref points and bonus points both ? Thanks guys

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, you have between July 1 and Sept 30 to purchase just points. This is for either type of point.

However, there is a catch on preference points, you can only buy them for 2 consecutive years before you must actually apply for the general tag. If you don't apply the third year, you lose your points.

Jeremy

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you have between July 1 and Sept 30 to purchase just points. This is for either type of point.

However, there is a catch on preference points, you can only buy them for 2 consecutive years before you must actually apply for the general tag. If you don't apply the third year, you lose your points.

Jeremy
Thanks wapiti !!! What exactly are the bonus points good for ? Premium hunts ? I’m new to the Montana program , I appreciate any help I can get , thank u

Wapiti1

WKR
Here are the basics. If you search the this forum there are detailed explanations of how the points work.

Preference points put you ahead in line to get a general tag. A guy with 1 preference point is ahead of the 0 point guy for 75% of the elk tags. 25% go straight random.

Bonus points add chances to you getting a limited entry permit. The points are squared plus one (your entry for this year) and that is how many tickets you get in the lottery. They don't put you ahead of anyone, and the draw is otherwise random.

Jeremy