Montana season change proposal

August is too hot. They never going to reduce "pressure" without reducing tags.
Turn a bunch of rifles loose on elk during peak of rut.

All this blaming fwp crap gotta stop. If yall care so much about mule deer, stop shooting little ones. By that I mean anything under 180. Let then grow up.

Everyone runs around shooting 150 inch ish mule deer thinking they got a nice one.

Second...Start actively hunting wolves!

Everything else is just 6 year old fit throwin

I agree with everyone that FWP seems adamantly opposed to mandatory reporting. The choose your region part of the proposal would not help with the crowding issues, but it would tell FWP where hunters are going even if mandatory reporting isn’t implemented. After a few years of choose your region, FWP would have the data to determine if certain regions are seeing too much pressure. They could then implement region caps. The choose your deer species and separating mule deer and elk seasons would spread out pressure.

The choose your region part of the proposal would not help with the crowding issues, but it would tell FWP where hunters are going even if mandatory reporting isn’t implemented. After a few years of choose your region, FWP would have the data to determine if certain regions are seeing too much pressure. They could then implement region caps.
I’d have to disagree. There is no guarantee where folks are going; it could easily change every year.

If the majority of hunters hunt a single district in a region and very few hunt the other districts, is that too much pressure for a region or not enough?

Pressure doesn’t equal harvest, harvest is a direct impact on populations.

What are you going to base your region caps on? If deer are being under harvested in regions with lots of pressure, but over harvested in a region with low pressure; moving more hunters to the region with over harvest is just going impact that population more.

Back