Montana unlimited

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone seriously guiding in the unlimiteds now ? Jack Atcheson jr. Used to guide in two of the units if I remember correctly.

USMC-40

WKR
Ran into a guide up there a couple days into the season - I believe it was ‘Absoroka Outifitters’ if I remember right. They primarily use horses and sounded like they had a wall tent camp

Jon Boy

WKR
I think a couple of outfitters are licensed to guide in there but it all depends on having a client. From what I've heard is they dont typically have a client list begging to get up in the unlimiteds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Selway

FNG
Ran into a guide up there a couple days into the season - I believe it was ‘Absoroka Outifitters’ if I remember right. They primarily use horses and sounded like they had a wall tent camp

These guys DO NOT have a good reputation. I've heard some horror stories from their camps.

USMC-40

WKR
These guys DO NOT have a good reputation. I've heard some horror stories from their camps.

That would make sense based on what I witnessed. The guy I was with and I had a good laugh after we got out of earshot. As much about the hunters as the guides though, to be fair.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Why would anyone guide the UL's. It is during elk season and the success will be very low. There are much "easier" ways to make a living.

Hnttillmt

FNG
I'm not sure about 502, but every other unit has outfitters permitted and guiding for the unlimiteds. It's not a highly booked hunt though. When it is booked it comes at a pretty high price tag, and most clients know the odds of success are still slim.
I believe the above mentioned outfitter must have been absaroka beartooth outfitters- Cameron Mayo. He must have revamped his website recently because there used to be pics of harvested Rams on there. The outfitting business is a really hard ticket to build a life upon. So many variables to juggle the average person would never hack it, so take some info off the internet with a grain of salt. I know ABO has alot of repeat clients.
I know alot of this because between myself and several of my closest friends we have guided for several of these outfitters. I only guided for one. The one who got the permit from Jack Jr himself. He has since passed the permit on to the outfitter who has it now.It was back in 2012 that I guided two sheep hunters, so more grains of salt there I guess. The two guys I guided were both wealthy, in there 50s, and had no interest in my plan for their best chance to find and harvest a ram. On a ten day booked hunt they both tapped out on day three.
It's just not a money maker for the outfitters like elk and deer hunts...but there willing to sell it if they can.

jmez

WKR
Talked to a guy a few years ago elk hunting that had taken a ram the year before. He spends a lot of time up there.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

K-guns56

FNG
Talked to a guy a few years ago elk hunting that had taken a ram the year before. He spends a lot of time up there.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. That's the only way I could attempt it in the future. I hear so many stories it's good to hear from some sources.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tntrker

WKR
I hunted with Dome Mountain Ranch in 2018. I was there for an elk hunt in region 313 but on our last day, there was a guy who had a goat tag and they wound up getting him one. Pretty impressive and a great hunt from the story by the hunter back at supper time. Saw a big sheep while elk hunting..Ryan runs a good outfit imo..

Last edited: