Utah License Trick

If I remember correctly you used to be able to get two "draw cycles" out of a Utah License if you planned your dates correctly. Is this still valid? My license expires on 4/19. I am just wondering if I can sneak in the drawing without purchasing another license.

Yes, you can do this. Page 17 in the regs:

You must have a current Utah hunting or combination (hunting and fishing) license before you can apply for any big game permits, bonus points or preference points. Licenses are available at wildlife.utah.gov and from license agents and Division offices.

Be sure to take a look at the date on your license before you apply for any permits or points. As long as your license is valid on the date you submit your application, you don’t have to purchase a new license for the actual hunt.

For example, assume that your license expires on June 21, 2024. If you apply before that date, you do not have to purchase a new license for your hunt in the fall. All hunting and combination licenses are valid for 365 days from the date of purchase

nobody

WKR
Should be able to. That’s what I do for my wife, hers expired on the 22nd. I’m waiting until they’ve released tag numbers the first week of April and then I’ll put us all in before the 22nd so I can get my tags and get her points.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I have a slightly different, but related question. I purchased a resident combination license which expires 8/31/2025 when I claimed a primary residence there. I am no longer a resident and the system let me put in for non-resident draws and points, so I assume it's still valid. Think I need to buy a new non-resident combo license? If it were just points, I wouldn't care, but I am going to be hunting/fishing there this year. Would probably raise some eyebrows with MT plates on the truck, Tennessee drivers license, UT resident combination license, and a non-resident elk tag.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I have a slightly different, but related question. I purchased a resident combination license which expires 8/31/2025 when I claimed a primary residence there. I am no longer a resident and the system let me put in for non-resident draws and points, so I assume it's still valid. Think I need to buy a new non-resident combo license? If it were just points, I wouldn't care, but I am going to be hunting/fishing there this year. Would probably raise some eyebrows with MT plates on the truck, Tennessee drivers license, UT resident combination license, and a non-resident elk tag.
If you draw a tag, your tag becomes your hunting license. Unless you plan to shoot grouse or anything you don’t have a tag for, you wouldn’t have to show your hunting license.