Most accurate stock rifle....other than tikka ... bergara?

The most accurate out of the box rifle that I have ever handled is a Vanguard Wilderness in .257 Weatherby Mag I bought on a whim. I am consistently blown away by the way it handles anything you feed it. I get 1/2" plus or minus a bit on everything I've tried so far. Mine has the 24" barrel, so it is a bit of a fire breather, but the accuracy is second to none.

I also bought a Savage Predator 10 many years ago in .223 that is a tack driver. Far more accurate than I am. I had a similar experience with a Ruger MK II 77 30-06 I bought many years ago. Sub 1" with about everything I shot out of it.

As was previously mentioned, factory rifles are so accurate these days that you might be better served in selecting the type of action you like, then going through options there. But, if it were me, I would not stray far from the Weatherby Vanguard in the model of your choosing.

Every xbolt that I have seen or know of has been a shooter.

Those Mauser’s do look interesting but I have no first(or 2nd) hand experience with one.

Ok, I'll bite on the vanguard..... Anyone have any knowledge of the "Badlands" stock? I like the wilderness but they don't make them in 708

Bang for buck, savage are pretty dang accurate. They’re a bit “utilitarian” in their design but they sure are accurate. Heck, one of their Axis models would serve most people well for a lifetime.

That being said, I’m prolly gonna drop some money on a fancy rifle pretty soon. Not because I’m a great shot or it’ll make me a better hunter, I just want one.

Bang for buck, savage are pretty dang accurate. They’re a bit “utilitarian” in their design but they sure are accurate. Heck, one of their Axis models would serve most people well for a lifetime.

That being said, I’m prolly gonna drop some money on a fancy rifle pretty soon. Not because I’m a great shot or it’ll make me a better hunter, I just want one.
Can I get an Amen!?!

Love my two Savage 110s (30-06 and 25-06) with maybe a dozen critters on the latter (antelope and deer) and couple on the former. I have maybe 20 long guns varying in price and these two are work horses - with Leupold scopes too 🤫.

I don’t think Savage is rich enough for Rokslide blood though, so be careful with who you tell if you decide to slum around with my likes 🤣!
I preach the 110 to anyone who’s lookin for a cheap accurate rifle. My 110 won’t win any beauty contests but damn it’ll shoot

Savage makes shooters, for damn sure. Hard to miss on a Savage. Also, you might have enough $$ left over for a new stock on it, or improved glass. So, not a bad thought there.

RE: Weatherby Vanguard
I have not checked on whether they have anything in 7-08. I'll look and see if they exist.

Looking for recommendations on stock rifles undet $1000,. I'm not a huge fan of Tikka stocks so just exploring other options... Bergara B 14 is up there if anyone has experience with them?

Just curious, whats not to like about the Tikka stock? Its actually one of the better factory stocks out there and can easily be free floated and relieved all the way to the action.

+1 for Savage. I have a 111 FCNS (older model, but basically the same thing as it has the accustock and accutrigger) in 270 topped with a leupold vx-3i and it has yet to let me down. Usually around .75 MOA if I do my part and take my time. I have taken 2 whitetail with it so far and I love it.

Another vote for Savage.

I have a model 16 7mm WSM with accutrigger, aftermarket stock and it shoots touching holes and 200 yards. Total invested (minus scope) is around $700-$750 (forget exact price of stock).

I have a model 110 with accustock and accutrigger and it shoots the same. I picked this one up for $680.

Everything I shoot is factory ammo - find the loads they like and stick with them.

These guns are shooters!!

What stock did you put on your 116? I've been thinking about changing mine....

My Browning X-Bolts are pretty darned accurate.
I second - Not married to Browning at all.. I picked up an Xbolt Pro in 6.5 Creed in May for a sheep hunt. The rifle is lights out accurate out to 875ish (Furthest I can shoot). Don't really need to change a thing. Great rifle out of the box.

Sub MOA unacceptable? Good grief.

:D

I have been on the 16Bore train since picking up my Tikka in .308. I have been a Browning Abolt II 7 mag medallion w/ BOSS guy sine 1994 when I first got it at the age of 15. Beautiful sub moa rifle. I recently picked up a Tikka on .308 mainly because of the shorter barrel for my Tower stands, but also the recoil was much nicer to shoot.

Well 16 was right. Out of the Box accuracy for someone who doesn't handload is crazy. I could only imagine if I did handload, the groups I could get with this thing.

I'm looking for buy a 7mm-08 for 500 yds

Wife has a Savage Lady Hunter in 7-08....Shoots 1/2 moa with factory ammo (Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 140gr). I know two other people with 7-08 savages and all are well under MOA.

Are you reloading or shooting factory? Are you stuck on the exact ammo you are shooting? Never heard someone complain about a sub moa gun.

+1 for Savage. I have a 111 FCNS (older model, but basically the same thing as it has the accustock and accutrigger) in 270 topped with a leupold vx-3i and it has yet to let me down. Usually around .75 MOA if I do my part and take my time. I have taken 2 whitetail with it so far and I love it.

I've got the same model in .204 Ruger that I got with my first "Big Boy" paycheck pouring concrete when I turned 18 (I had already spent a couple summers working as a mason tender and winters trimming christmas trees) so I ran down and got the rifle I had been eyeing.

At first I was slightly disappointed as it wouldn't shoot better than 1.25" @100y, but at the time the only load I could find was the Hornady 32gr Vmax, well a few years later (11 to be exact) and I've settled on the 40gr Remington accutips that if I do my part right, will go into .25", and .5" every day of the week. It's certainly no show pony, but it's a dang good workhorse for calling coyotes and working over a prairie dog town

Back