Motorcycle Hunting

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Howdy. I was at the gas station the other day and saw a guy with an old Rokon in his truck. I asked him what he used it for, and he said that he used it for elk hunting access for many years (it looked like it). I know quads are huge, but wondered how many used a motorcycle? Any 2 wheeled hunters out there?

Moserkr

WKR
My buddy has a 2018 yamaha xt250 and he just gave me a ‘96 honda xr400 so I could ride with him. Plan will be to hunt with them. We have some spots in mind that are hard to access otherwise. Also saves wear n tear n fuel for the trucks. Can ride from home to hunt or basecamp from the truck. There are single-tracks that atvs couldnt even fit on where we can go now. Opening up a whole new world of opportunity. Rokon is probably better for an all around hunting bike for being utilitarian, but Ive never ridden one.

Rich M

WKR
We used to have 2 Rokons. They are 2 wheel drive motorcycles - tough and heavy duty. Not nearly as easy to use as a 4 wheeler and can likely go more places.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
1984 Honda XL250, been a great bike. Use it frequently during archery. Leave a rain jacket, gloves and some sort of eye wear in your pack or near the truck. Rainy rides back to the truck without it can suck. We also bring a chunk of chain and pad lock. Chain it to a tree, makes it a little harder for someone to steal

OP
mtgreg

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I forgot about the open to 2 wheels and closed to 4 wheel areas! Good info! I was thinking about a new Rokon, but I need something a little faster for the road. TW200 might do it...mtgreg

grfox92

WKR
I feel like it would be hard to hold the gun steady while maintaining a grip on the throttle riding along the elk. Although Arnold did a great job in Terminator 2.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
2015 Honda crf 230. Had to install a light bar, it did not come w one. Small nimble and qt.

OP
mtgreg

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I feel like it would be hard to hold the gun steady while maintaining a grip on the throttle riding along the elk. Although Arnold did a great job in Terminator 2.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
That's funny! I was picturing it in my mind......ha!

I have a Rokon, a TLR 200, ktm300, and honda rancher 4x4. For hunting, it all depends on the terrain. I prefer the quad, but on single track trails I have to use a motorcycle. If the trail has rough spots and I don't have help to man handle it, then I take the Rokon. We go places that you do not see other motorized vehicles, because it's too dangerous and honestly not fun... but, the hunting is good! I've had a few life threatening spills over the years and the scars to remember them.

Milzler13

FNG
I actually harvested my first montana black bear by getting deep in some back country with a dirt bike. While I can assure you it was an amazing experience, I also am moving away from using one. Seems like it would be easier but in reality I have found it to be easier hiking in. You can go many more places. Your not limited to dirt bike trails.

Looking at dual sport bike myself now. Honda cr600r, allows me to ride it to work and save on the monthly fuel bill since it seems fuel prices are headed towards $5-6 per gallon.

Blazin67

FNG
I use a dual sport too, KTM 530. Gets you way back away from the crowds and then I start hiking after a find a nice spot to stash the bike and set up a small camp. Like others said, saves a bunch of wear and tear on the truck and easier on fuel. With a nice backpack that carries your rifle its pretty manageable riding some gnarly single tracks. taken a few bucks out of the mountain on my dirt bike....

OP
mtgreg

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess it is time to figure gas prices into the equation! mtgreg

I Ran the tw200 for over 10 years. Most of the single track area's we hunt in North Idaho the ruts are so bad the little tw's just cant make it.

I upgraded to a husqvarna 300 last year - amazing bike, but the ol' low n slow tw200 really is a gem!

OP
mtgreg

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey jaoutdoors! I love it, I'm picking my new Tdub up in a month or so! mtgreg