Moultrie Mobile Edge Trail Camera Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
C03FD375-55E2-4DC1-AA79-D1B05C830888.jpeg
Hey WKRs and not-so-WKRs ;) (if you know you know)

I paired up with Moultrie Mobile back in August to test their latest Cellular Trail Camera: The Edge

it solves two common problems encountered by western hunters: sketchy cell service & stolen SD cards.

Read the entire review here

Moultrie Mobile Edge Cellular Trail Camera Review

or watch the video review here

And Moultrie Mobile is now a Rokslide sponsor. After running these cams, I think they’re a great fit for Rokslide’s gear crowd. You’ll see their banner on the right side of your PC screen or at the bottom of your mobile device. Give them a click to see all they offer in Trail Cameras

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Awesome. I have had good luck with moultrie cameras, both traditional and cell. Sounds like this camera solves 3 of my complaints. Thanks for the review.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. I have had good luck with moultrie cameras, both traditional and cell. Sounds like this camera solves 3 of my complaints. Thanks for the review.
Hi. Thanks. What 3 complaints you looking to fix?

WoodBow

WKR
Hi. Thanks. What 3 complaints you looking to fix?
Lack of certainty as to which cell provider will have best coverage in various locations.

I recently had a sd card stolen from a camera and a full season of data walked off with it. And yes sd cards can definitely be finicky and cause issues.

My moultrie cell cams i currently run work quite well but they are TERRIBLE about taking non stop pics once the sun gets over head , unless the photo area is fully shaded. I have cams set on zero delay and then at noon everyday i have to change them to 30 minute delay. Then i change thek back to zero around 4 or 5. The ability the schedule active times will eliminate all of that nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lack of certainty as to which cell provider will have best coverage in various locations.

I recently had a sd card stolen from a camera and a full season of data walked off with it. And yes sd cards can definitely be finicky and cause issues.

My moultrie cell cams i currently run work quite well but they are TERRIBLE about taking non stop pics once the sun gets over head , unless the photo area is fully shaded. I have cams set on zero delay and then at noon everyday i have to change them to 30 minute delay. Then i change thek back to zero around 4 or 5. The ability the schedule active times will eliminate all of that nonsense.

Oh, I understand, yes, the scheduler is huge and I was really surprised when I first got the cameras they didn’t even have one on it. But they updated just a few weeks later and Wala the option showed up on my camera.

The whole, stolen SD card thing, you don’t think about it much until you lose weeks or even months of pictures to some scumbag.

Take my camera, but don’t take my pictures! Lol.

Rokbar

WKR
I like the idea of no SD card. But, I'm going to assume you HAVE to have a cell plan to be able to use the Edge? There is no way to access pics but through cellular? Meaning it can't be used a standard trail cam?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of no SD card. But, I'm going to assume you HAVE to have a cell plan to be able to use the Edge? There is no way to access pics but through cellular? Meaning it can't be used a standard trail cam?
Yes, you’d have to have the data plan to access your pictures

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Moultrie Delta cams last year and added the Edge this year. The cellular switching was the main reason. I have been very happy with it so far. The cell service is 100x better and has definitely allowed me to place the Edge where the Delta didn’t work well. I’m going to add another Edge soon.

I use mine in the Midwest for whitetail.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I used the Moultrie Delta cams last year and added the Edge this year. The cellular switching was the main reason. I have been very happy with it so far. The cell service is 100x better and has definitely allowed me to place the Edge where the Delta didn’t work well. I’m going to add another Edge soon.

I use mine in the Midwest for whitetail.
thanks for the feedback. and good to know the Edge is a step up to their previous cell cams, as the only camera I've tried from Moultrie is the Edge.

Yoder

WKR
I have three Moultrie cell cams I bought this year. I don't know the model but they are their lower end cameras. One leaked and filled up with water after about 3 weeks. The second just stopped taking pictures after a month for no apparent reason. Battery is good and SD card is at 5%. I walked right in front of it waving my hands and nothing. I pulled it and I haven't restarted it yet to see if still works. Third one is working great. I'm not impressed. The Tactacam Reveal I bought has been 100% reliable and the picture quality is way better.

WoodBow

WKR
How many batteries does this device use? Is this a no light device? or low light?
I believe it has the option for either 8 or 12. Smart design in my opinion. It has no visible light.

WoodBow

WKR
Fwiw i have had these 2 up for 2+ months with only 8 cheap batteries. They are on low traffic areas but both have poor signal, which takes more battery. I am very pleased with them
c075e0f361a2592fa6096086d8318849.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have three Moultrie cell cams I bought this year. I don't know the model but they are their lower end cameras. One leaked and filled up with water after about 3 weeks. The second just stopped taking pictures after a month for no apparent reason. Battery is good and SD card is at 5%. I walked right in front of it waving my hands and nothing. I pulled it and I haven't restarted it yet to see if still works. Third one is working great. I'm not impressed. The Tactacam Reveal I bought has been 100% reliable and the picture quality is way better.
Hi again, just realized how far behind on this thread I am. I must not have had my notifications activated.

Anyway, I’d never doubt a man‘s experience but yours is not typical with mine. Not sure if you had their previous generation of cell cams before the Edge?

Anyway, these guys have great CS and I can say it as a consumer, not because they’re a sponsor as I call the same hotline as everyone else and they don’t know my association with Moultrie, nor do I tell them.

I got three Edge cams last summer and two are still in the field operational, with no break since I put them out. They are set to only send a check-in a day as there were no animals in the area over the winter but I’m about to fire them back up.

a third was out all winter and pulled it in May. It was working fine with 50% battery left (it was in a high traffic area with daily pics multi times per day and a lot of subzero temps too).

I brought it home and my daughter used it to watch the feral rabbits around our place. They finally left so I pulled the cam and shut if off. it sat a few weeks and when I went to fire it back up, it wouldn’t turn on, even with fresh batteries.

Here is the CS part.

I called Sunday 6/25 around 9AM MTN. Got an immediate answer, a quick diagnose, and a shipping label was on the way. I sent the other camera back and they said I’ll have a replacement within 7 days of activating the shipping label.

All this to say, be sure and get ahold of their CS. Not sure if your cams are in warranty, but maybe, and even if not, good companies have a way of sending out good mojo if a customer is having problems.

Let us know and sorry it took so long to respong. my notifications are on now.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked 4 of these up and will be putting them out this weekend. These are my first cellular cameras, and I am excited to see how they perform!!

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know how it goes!
I will say, first things first, these were VERY easy to set up. A quick scan of the QR code and a couple of minutes each for the initial setup and they were ready to go. I set 3 of the 4 cameras up in a remote location where cell reception is spotty at best. 2 of them are recording a weak signal and the other 1 a fair signal so far, but all have been up and running for over 24 hours and sending with no issue. The first animal picture was first thing this morning of a good sized black bear, and using the app I changed that camera over to video to see how the videos turn out (nothing yet).

If the performance continues, this will be a huge improvement over having to drive 7 hours round trip to check the images on the SD cards. My biggest interest moving forward is going to be battery life. The SD cameras I had up in this same spot ($25 Bushnell cameras I picked up a few years back) were up there since October and still had plenty of battery left on them after capturing 2000+ images each.