Mountain biking pictures, post up.

Curtis C

WKR
Thanks sanchomaes. Trout Bum you are right Monarch has a good downhill ride. The 3000' of climbing can be tough but when you trade that for 6500' of downhill its easy to smile.

I rode with flat pedals for the first year and a half of MTBing. Doing that allowed me to find good biking balance and still get a foot down when I started going over. When I switched to clipless pedals I had them set very loose and practiced "getting out" on soft grass. Just ride around and clip unclip repeat. As you get more comfortable add a little tension until your foot stays attached when you lift to jump a feature.

Stick with the flats until you are very comfortable on the bike. Then if you want try some clipless(clip in) set them really loose(so they disengage with an upward pull) but stay on fairly smooth trail or grass for a while. You will get used to them and will most likely feel more like you and the bike have become one. If you think clipless will take away from your enjoying the ride then stick with what you have and keep riding.

C

Last edited:

Gman

WKR
I hate to be a nitpicking gearhead ... :)

but clips are those goofy looking cages on bikes form the 90's that go well with a mullet.

I have read this statement 12 times and still don't know what you mean! :) And the 90's are right in my wheelhouse. "Clips" is how we throw around the "clipless" slang here in CO. Must be a regional thing.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I have read this statement 12 times and still don't know what you mean! :) And the 90's are right in my wheelhouse. "Clips" is how we throw around the "clipless" slang here in CO. Must be a regional thing.

I knew what we were talking about.....

BB was just showing how out of touch he is with slang of today!
;)

For you guys who are falling over with " clipless" pedals, how much do you weigh?

The old saying is true, the bigger you are the harder you fall, I've dropped to 275lbs now....

Its part of a progression in mtb, I'm not there yet and I don't ride an easy area, falling into cactus isn't my idea of fun....lol

I tried riding clipless for several years but could never quite get it. I can't tell you how many times I failed to clip out in time, usually resulting in nasty spills. I now just run flat pedals on my mountain bike. I may not be quite as efficient climbing, but I sure have a lot more fun riding.

I do have shimano SPD's on my cyclocross bike though. I usually can anticipate clipping out far enough ahead of time that it works out fine. I just never could get it to come together mountain biking singletracks.

Curtis C

WKR
I started with clipless and it lasted about 2 weeks. I understand the whole "the bigger you are the harder you fall" idea. My knees got beat to crap that first couple weeks so I switched to flats until I got comfortable.

There are some benefits to clipless but its not worth driving your knee into the ground if you fall frequently IMO. A3D just stick with what you have and enjoy the trails. When you feel like you are shredding the trails you ride maybe then you will want to give them a try.

C

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Curtis said:
There are some benefits to clipless but its not worth driving your knee into the ground if you fall frequently IMO. A3D just stick with what you have and enjoy the trails. When you feel like you are shredding the trails you ride maybe then you will want to give them a try.

C

Exactly my thoughts.

Lawnboi

WKR
im just sayin, atleast give it a try. I dont know how some of you cant get a hang of it, its so easy, and it helps so much.

What are some good trails around your guys areas. I should start a thread for this so when i go out in the summer i can get a day of biking in.

Gman

WKR
im just sayin, atleast give it a try. I dont know how some of you cant get a hang of it, its so easy, and it helps so much.

What are some good trails around your guys areas. I should start a thread for this so when i go out in the summer i can get a day of biking in.

Where in CO lawnboi? Pretty much where aren't there great trails here? :) Seriously, no matter where you are you'll get into some cool stuff. What areas will you be in?

Lawnboi

WKR
Where in CO lawnboi? Pretty much where aren't there great trails here? :) Seriously, no matter where you are you'll get into some cool stuff. What areas will you be in?

Wont be this year. Ill be too busy trying to find elk. But i plan on spending alot of time, and hopefully ill be moved out there in the next few years. So ill have to start looking.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lake makes some EE sized shoes a3d, should be easy to find

Dont be a wussy and get some clip in pedals (or whatever the heck you guys are calling them) :) Learn how to use them, you will be very glad you did

herdbull

FNG
end of the road.... circa July 2011 in north central Colorado. Unbelievable amount of snow left last summer.

Attachments

• Co July 2011_316 small.jpg
    Co July 2011_316 small.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17