Mountain Pistols?

Ironman8

WKR
One more for a Glock 20!

The 10mm is a great round mostly because it's big and travels fast. Less compromise than either going small/fast (9mm) vs big/slow (.45)

Problem is though that it's big and not many people carry it, much less train with it and get good at controlling it (follow up shots)

I'd rather not risk my life against a 4-legged or 2-legged threat on a weapon that I don't train with regularly

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 10mm is a great round mostly because it's big and travels fast. Less compromise than either going small/fast (9mm) vs big/slow (.45)

Problem is though that it's big and not many people carry it, much less train with it and get good at controlling it (follow up shots)

I'd rather not risk my life against a 4-legged or 2-legged threat on a weapon that I don't train with regularly
A lot of us Alaskans train with the G20... ;) Some of us even use it CC during the winter. But you are right, folks need to train on a regular basis, both with professionals and on their own.

Ironman8

WKR
A lot of us Alaskans train with the G20... ;) Some of us even use it CC during the winter. But you are right, folks need to train on a regular basis, both with professionals and on their own.

Ha! I knew someone would come along and prove me wrong! I'd be hard pressed to conceal a G20 during the 10 months of summer that we get here in TX...that's why I stick with my puny G19 ;)

OP
MAT

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Wow - lots of suggestions, thanks. One question though, since barrel length affects performance I would think that is critical, regardless of caliber (a longer 9 mm might be better – more KE - than a short 10 mm)? But don't they measure autos and revolvers differently? I thought autos were measure from the pin, revolver the gap. That way a 3” auto is really sub 2” barrel? It seems one inch from 2”- 3” really adds a lot of velocity?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha! I knew someone would come along and prove me wrong! I'd be hard pressed to conceal a G20 during the 10 months of summer that we get here in TX...that's why I stick with my puny G19 ;)
I too prefer my G19 for most scenarios, but when bundled up for winters the G20 is not to bad to conceal. I also like having that extra "oomph" when hiking around town during the winter. Between the cranky moose and heavily bundled folks it gives an extra edge, or so I think.. :)

Nothin wrong with a a Glock 9mm. My EDC is a G17, wife has a G19. However it doesn't go into the woods.
Roger that! .357Mag, .44mag, or .10mm or where it is at, IMO. .44 or 10mm is my preferred choice when Brown Bears are in the mix.... I just really like shooting my G20. Its a great pistol...

Ironman8

WKR
Wow - lots of suggestions, thanks. One question though, since barrel length affects performance I would think that is critical, regardless of caliber (a longer 9 mm might be better – more KE - than a short 10 mm)? But don't they measure autos and revolvers differently? I thought autos were measure from the pin, revolver the gap. That way a 3” auto is really sub 2” barrel? It seems one inch from 2”- 3” really adds a lot of velocity?

I can't say I've heard that about measuring barrels.

My advice is to just get something that feels good in your hand and you shoot well enough to be effective should you ever NEED to use it....and then train with it. If it were me, I'd get something that can pull double duty as a carry weapon and a backcountry weapon. Caliber choice is more of a personal preference, but the difference between 9mm/40/45 is marginal...just keep a good pill loaded in there. As with anything, shot placement is king.

Daniel_M

WKR

There is absolutely no comparison going from a 9 to 10mm. Totally different levels of energy and velocity.

Ironman8

WKR
I too prefer my G19 for most scenarios, but when bundled up for winters the G20 is not to bad to conceal. I also like having that extra "oomph" when hiking around town during the winter. Between the cranky moose and heavily bundled folks it gives an extra edge, or so I think.. :)

I probably wouldn't worry much about the two-legged threats...it's too dang cold in AK for mischief :p

I can't disagree about the extra punch from the 10mm

Daniel_M

WKR
I probably wouldn't worry much about the two-legged threats...it's too dang cold in AK for mischief :p

I can't disagree about the extra punch from the 10mm

I dunno about that. I've had some less than stellar run-ins with folks in the back country, I carry more for the encounters with mankind than animals!

Ironman8

WKR
I dunno about that. I've had some less than stellar run-ins with folks in the back country, I carry more for the encounters with mankind than animals!

More tounge-in-cheek than serious, but I am kinda surprised that even in the backcountry you're running into those types of people...

Daniel_M

WKR
More tounge-in-cheek than serious, but I am kinda surprised that even in the backcountry you're running into those types of people...

Believe it or not, there are several regions here in Alaska that are well, not the best of places for a guy like me to roam. Guys like me are simply not welcome in certain places.

I've had people pretend/try to ram me with their boat, yell obscenities, try to steal fuel, stab our raft.

Ironman8

WKR
Believe it or not, there are several regions here in Alaska that are well, not the best of places for a guy like me to roam. Guys like me are simply not welcome in certain places.

I've had people pretend/try to ram me with their boat, yell obscenities, try to steal fuel, stab our raft.

Huh, well I guess I know who to talk to if I ever get a chance to get outdoors in Alaska....on second thought maybe not :p

Crazy stuff man

Hardstalk

WKR

What are "guys like me" referring to? Ive heard of hawaiian locals not taking kindly to visitors. Is it the eskimo folks that dont care for you?

One thing to watch out for is in MT you cannot carry a firearm during bow season if you are bow hunting. Now that being said I carry a G17. Just make sure you read the regs for where you are hunting.

One thing to watch out for is in MT you cannot carry a firearm during bow season if you are bow hunting. Now that being said I carry a G17. Just make sure you read the regs for where you are hunting.

I cannot find that anywhere in the regs, everyone carries up here, and when I got checked last year I had a pistol on my hip and he didn't even mention it. I will have to call and find out I guess...

JOe