Mountain smith mountain shelter LT

I'm thinking of getting one of these for this season to upgrade from my cheap oz ark trail tent from Wally World. I've never use a floorless tent before. I can get one for around 70 bucks on promotive. I know it isn't on the same league as kifaru or anything but how do they hold up to moderate use? Just looking for some opinions on how they work for the money.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up one of these recently and so far it has been a good shelter. Good in the wind.

How are you folks finding the seam taping? Any leaks?? I'm probably going to seam seal it as well.

I seam sealed mine and put a stove jack in it. Then sold it before I used it with a stove. I really should've kept it, the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
^^ So true. For the price it's such a great shelter, I'll probably never part with it. Definitely will be using other tents, but this one is good to have around.

Same here...
Great coverage for one.
I just put a jack in mine and ran it with a stove - worked awesome!

My brother in law and I used it for the WA high hunt last year (w/o a stove), and space was fine. It would be a challenge for two and a stove.

As far as seam sealing goes:
I have had it in two all-day rain storms and it was not leaking, and I have not done anything to waterproof it, beyond the factory.
Love this shelter!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Selling mine. Seam sealed. Used for a weekend. $85 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fort fireman
I seam sealed mine and put a stove jack in it. Then sold it before I used it with a stove. I really should've kept it, the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

I've even been throwing the idea of putting a stove jack in it down the road if I end up getting one and liking it. I'm just not sure I really need a stove here in NC. Of course last year I woke up to mid teens one morning. A stove would have been kinda nice.

Its a great, cheap shelter to try out floorless camping. Its a very roomy for one guy, pretty heavy though.

That was the only "complaint" I had with mine. At 2# w/o stakes and additional guy lines, ground sheet etc...I figured I was approaching the same weight of a UL 2man tent (copper spur2). Couldn't see where I gained any advantage carrying the heavier floorless shelter route when I could carry the CS2 for less weight. (Caveat...Didn't have any plans to run a stove)

molon labe

OP
fort fireman
A stove jack is definitely worth it. You may eventually head out west and you'll already have it.
Actually I already have an elk hunt in Montana in the works for 2017. I'll be hunting with my wife's cousin. We are going out there next week for my in-laws 50th anniversary. I'll pick his brain when I'm out there for the plans next year and what I'll need. This tent may come in handy. Idk yet.

OP
fort fireman
Where did you place your jack on yours? The front vestibule area, or the rear?

OP
fort fireman
Same here...
Great coverage for one.
I just put a jack in mine and ran it with a stove - worked awesome!

My brother in law and I used it for the WA high hunt last year (w/o a stove), and space was fine. It would be a challenge for two and a stove.

As far as seam sealing goes:
I have had it in two all-day rain storms and it was not leaking, and I have not done anything to waterproof it, beyond the factory.
Love this shelter!

Where did you put your jack? In he front vestibule area or rear of the tent?

Front. Left of the pole, if you're looking at the tent from the outside.
1ac2446101c568519c64ed8a75d34851.jpg

I tried mine out for the first time early this summer and liked it for something light weight, but didn't expect that much condensation. Being my first time in floorless I was surprised by how much condensation there was and the shelter isn't big enough to easily make sure you aren't touching the side at all. Being in CO and always using double walled shelters I've never had to be concerned with condensation issues before.

I bought one through Promotive as well this summer. Haven't used it much, but it's pretty nice for the price.
I'll likely run it in September on backcountry elk hunts. I used a regular open faced Etowah tarp this weekend on a scouting run since there was no chance of rain and it was really warm out. One thing I noticed using the open face tarp was the mosquitos and flies kept me awake a lot of the night buzzing around my face.
I hope switching to the Mountainsmith will alleviate that since it's an enclosed shelter, albeit floorless. It's a little heavier as mentioned compared to other similar shelters, but for the price it's pretty nice!

OP
fort fireman
I'm liking what I'm hearing about the tent. I think I'm going to pull the trigger when I get back from my trip to Montana. When I get the funds back in order that is. :) I did kind of expect the condensation issue with the single wall. My cheap tent gets condensation as well. I woke up one morning in deer season with the outside of my hood of my sleeping bag frozen because it was against the wall of the tent with the condensation.

OP
fort fireman
Also what trekking poles do you guys use. I'm new to that as well. Never used them before.