Mountain Whitetail Kill Kit

Wolfshead

FNG
I would check the regs in your area first to make sure you can quarter them up and carry it out.
Some areas you have to bring the deer out whole.
I’ve never needed a saw for field dressing a deer before.
Why do you need it? (Serious question, and curious to know)
My kill kit is:
My license
A zip tie
My knife 3.5” fixed blade
I sharpen my knife at the start of the season, and use it to field dress the animal, skin, and then break it down. I’ve never needed to “touch it up” in the field with a sharpener. Deer are not that big. Like an Elk for example.
Ziplock bag for heart and liver.
That’s about it.
I don’t feel that a mile from the truck is all that far in my opinion.
The shortest distance to my stand is half a mile. Very often I’m a mile or so back in, and I’ll be 64 this fall.
I usually have a jet sled in my SUV which helps with dragging it out, or at least getting it to where I can get help with getting it out.

A good sharp knife
A good sharp backup knife (never needed yet)
Game bags
5x7 sheet of Tyvek

I keep a Silky Pocket Boy, with fine teeth, at camp to cut off the skull cap. While field dressing, I ream the pelvic canal from the outside and the inside, and everything comes out as it should. The only reason I can see to carry a saw is to take the ribs.

Have a good hunt

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon knife , extra blades (dont usually need but just in case i forget to replace the old dull one), 550 cord, game bags, old tarp is nice if i got it.

Been thinking I want to switch or at least bring as a back up a fixed bladed knife. Especially for out West. Havalon hasnt failed me yet but that would suckk

Hunting mountain country in the SE for whitetails is a relatively new gig for me. I'm going 1-3 miles in carrying all I need for the day and for the kill if I am lucky. What do you guys include in your kill kit? Primarily interested in some type of saw that is small and packable.
I would avoid carrying a saw unless it's to clear shooting lanes from a treestand or something. You should be able to completely process a deer with a quality knife or one of the scalpel retaining devices. Search Youtube for the "gutless method" as long as it's legal in the state that you hunt in. Also, include a couple pairs of nitrile gloves, maybe a sharpener, electrical tape or zip ties for your tag etc.

Randle

WKR
Saw stays in my pack because I am usually hunting deer and elk at the same time.
Its for getting to an elk or deer that has died in some nasty brush patch .
I can cut away brush to work on the animal.
4 ozs is nothing to pack.

BLJ

WKR
For the guys who don’t carry a saw, how do you handle skull capping or cutting off the head for a Euro?
Completely serious question as I don’t see any other way of doing it without. Thanks.

BLJ

WKR
I keep a Silky Pocket Boy 170 (with fine teeth) at camp for cutting the skull cap. You can detach the head from the neck with just a knife, in the field.
Is it a matter of jjust cutting between vertebrae? I’ve never really thought about it.
I’ve always done it with saw hanging in the shop. Thanks.