Mounting options for Leupy VX2 on a TIKKA T3x chambered in .30-06

rebelblue

FNG
Anyone have experience with this scope and rifle combo? What mounting system did you use/have you seen/would you prefer?

Waffling back and forth on rings & mounts. Specifically, yay or nay on using a (Mountain Tactical) Picatinny and what height rings I’ll need either way.

Obviously, I am weight conscious with this particular build, but the oz gain with the rail is not a big deal to me. Rather, I like the idea of going to a modular system, but am concerned about being forced to go up on ring height due to the length of the rail and the subsequent potential for contact with the objective. Have heard that’s an issue.

Can I get away with low ring height on either set up?

Looking hard at the Talley system made for this gun. Warne is another I’ve heard good things about. DNZ seems polarizing in many threads so I doubt I’ll go that way. Open to other options not listed.

Along with specifics, any general thoughts are welcome, but this is the scope and this is the rifle I have in hand. Just gotta marry ‘em...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slick

WKR
I’ve used Talley lows with a vx2 2-7x33. Hoping to run Xtra low for that scope on a new t3x 7-08.

Hoping to fit a vx3i 50mm objective in the lows on a 300wm t3x. New scope should be here Tuesday and will know then.

That -06 with the 3-9x is a solid combo and should be fine with the lows.

JWP58

WKR
Mountain tactical 20moa pic rail and swfa low pic rings works pretty well on my tikka with a swfa fixed 6 scope (42mm objective).

If you can find the DNZ one piece I can vouch for it. An outstanding and simple, USA made scope mount.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have used multiples of every ring combination mentioned.

The limited ring spacing, height, and lack of recoil pins eliminate the DNZ and Talley. The pic ring and base can be very durable (MTN Tactical with pin) however cheekweld is compromised. One of the greatest features of the Tikka series is the integral rail and recoil pin.

Sportsmatch has it all. Weight, height, strength, recoil pin.

This rifle (and a dozen or so more) have been shot more than a little, with enough abuse to make people squeamish. The Sportsmatch rings work as they should.

I have never had an issue with the factory Tikka rings. They are light, have a recoil pin, good mounting height and hold zero. I've used them on 30-06, a .270 and 7mm-08 T3's without issue.

I've also used Talley lows. I don't understand the concern about Talleys not having a recoil pin. They have four screws into the receiver. How can they move?

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
Sportsmatch has it all. Weight, height, strength, recoil pin... The Sportsmatch rings work as they should.

I also had these on my list and am glad you mentioned them. Put in an email to the only US retailer that I could find out of AZ. We'll see about pricing and availability. I'll also say, Form, that I really appreciate the the pics of your Tikka. That well-used & well-earned rifle you've got is exactly why I went with this gun. For me rifles are tools and I respect those that get used as they should and just keep on workin'.

If it’s a 40mm leupold, the Talley extra lows will fit. That’s what I use on my tikka with a vx3i on top.

It is. Forgot to mention it's a 3-9x40. Extra lows sound attractive. I'd rather not spend the money and hassle of propping up my cheekweld if I don't have to. That said, if I do have to raise up, then I'll be looking hard at the KalixTeknik CR1.

I’ve used Talley lows with a vx2 2-7x33. Hoping to run Xtra low for that scope on a new t3x 7-08.

Hoping to fit a vx3i 50mm objective in the lows on a 300wm t3x. New scope should be here Tuesday and will know then.

That -06 with the 3-9x is a solid combo and should be fine with the lows.

If you missed CApighunter's reply then it sounds like he's confirmed you can run the extra low Talleys with that scope easy (quoted above). Still, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see that 50mm settled in with the lows once you get that glass in.

I have never had an issue with the factory Tikka rings. They are light, have a recoil pin, good mounting height and hold zero. I've used them on 30-06, a .270 and 7mm-08 T3's without issue.

I've also used Talley lows. I don't understand the concern about Talleys not having a recoil pin. They have four screws into the receiver. How can they move?

The Tikka T3x don't ship with factory rings. I suppose with so many folks out there talking sh*t and dropping them straight into the round file they figured what's the point. Good to hear they worked fine for you, though. I always thought is sounded odd that Tikka would give folks something that would ultimately undermine the rifle.

Also, I'm not at all surprised you have no concern about the lack of recoil pin on the Talleys. If they shifted after hard use then they wouldn't have the rep they've got. Still, Form makes a good point: the feature is there so using it makes sense.

At this point, it's Talley v Sportsmatch. I suppose I'm dumping the pic rail idea.

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback. Huge help.

Here’s the extra lows so you can get an idea of how they sit with 3.5-10x40 VX3i. Great cheek weld, I’m a stickler for getting the scope as low as possible and I couldn’t be happier with this set up.

Attachments

• CD17790D-D174-4389-9DAF-09BF28F56A94.jpeg
    CD17790D-D174-4389-9DAF-09BF28F56A94.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 209
OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
Are you using the T084 rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI, JR: I've reached out to both the AZ retailer and Sportsmatch themselves. I'll circle back here after I get a response from either/both and let folks know what's what.

I also checked Ebay, but didn't find anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk