Mounting options for Leupy VX2 on a TIKKA T3x chambered in .30-06

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I used the Warne Tikka rings, uses the dovetail and recoil lug cutout on the receiver

Just an FYI.

Vertically split rings can be an issue. How they tighten means no matter what, clamping the base is putting stress on the scope. Or, loose enough to not effect the scope, but now scope and/or base slippage is a thing.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Just an FYI.

Vertically split rings can be an issue. How they tighten means no matter what, clamping the base is putting stress on the scope. Or, loose enough to not effect the scope, but now scope and/or base slippage is a thing.
Good to know! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some Sportsmatch T084's (unless you know offhand a good source without outrageous international shipping).

The Spuhr SCT-3001A looks outstanding as well, but probably thorough overkill for a hunting setup

slick

WKR
I had contacted the AZ Sportsmatch retailer a month or more ago, and I want to say they ordered some but were expecting 3mos or more before they would land on US soil. I’ll double check my email chain with them later.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some Hawkins Precision hybrid rings they are 30mm. Seems like good quality but haven’t used them yet. I’m not sure when 1” will be available

Fatcamp

WKR
I had contacted the AZ Sportsmatch retailer a month or more ago, and I want to say they ordered some but were expecting 3mos or more before they would land on US soil. I’ll double check my email chain with them later.

I talked to the guy and suggested he stock some. Last October. Not real responsive to the market apparently.

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
OK, so I've learned a few things:

1. Sportsmatch got back to me and recommended I use www.tawnadoairguns.com out of the UK to order the rings. They are listed as "in stock" and the price is £16.67 plus £9.99 shipping. At current exchange rates that comes out to $35.36 delivered. I ordered a pair a couple minutes ago, used Paypal for payment, and will check back here once I receive them to give folks an idea of turnaround time.

2. Sportsmatch TO48 rings are for 1" tubes. Well, specifically they are 25mm, which is 0.98".

3. The height on TO48 rings is 14mm from top of receiver to bottom of inside of the ring. That works out to a functional height of 0.55". For reference, the Talley lows are 0.5" and the extra lows are 0.4".

Hope all this helps.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Airguns of Arizona got back to me and said they'd be happy to order anything from Sportsmatch not stocked, but need a 3-4 week lead time to get them to their shop.

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
Airguns of Arizona got back to me and said they'd be happy to order anything from Sportsmatch not stocked, but need a 3-4 week lead time to get them to their shop.
I wonder what the price point would be from AofA. I was pretty impressed with the shipped price from the UK outfit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder what the price point would be from AofA. I was pretty impressed with the shipped price from the UK outfit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They (strangely) didn't say in their email. Looking at their stocked products on their website, the plain rings seem to run anywhere from $35-60, and their cheapest shipping is $11, so I think you did the right thing.

Guess I'll go and order from Tawnado as well!

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gotten all of mine off of eBay from Tawnado.

Same here...second set of rings took about 1 week for delivery. The first set I ordered back in January took almost 3 weeks for delivery. Should have ordered two pairs the first time around, but didn't know another Tikka would land in my laps..

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Same here...second set of rings took about 1 week for delivery. The first set I ordered back in January took almost 3 weeks for delivery. Should have ordered two pairs the first time around, but didn't know another Tikka would land in my laps..

Did you have any weirdness with the shipments? The tracking number I received shows the rings delivered last Saturday in Lincoln, NE, which is a slight problem seeing as I'm in Houston.

Rich M

WKR
I use Leupold mounts. I'm old enough that the "modular" stuff they had back in the 70s and early 80s cost me some deer, Won't use a scope mount unless it is affixed directly to the rifle.

Mountain Tactical lightweight alloy rail and Leupold Rifleman rings - Now, before I start getting the "guffaws" from folks know that I put hundreds of rounds through all of my Tikkas with this set up, hunted NE Oregon and Wyoming each year for the past 6 plus years (elk, deer, goats) and shooting a bunch off season - I hunt as hard as any and take my share of slips and trips so the rifles are NEVER babied - I know and understand the proper way to mount and tighten mount screws (which is paramount to this whole conversation) and while we know there are better choices out there for piece of mind and looks, for lightweight, inexpensive scope mounting I've not had one bit of trouble

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
Update: Got 'em.

Michael Tawn from Tawnado Ariguns in the UK emailed me shipping confirmation less than 12 hrs after I ordered the Sportsmatch rings from him. They were in my mailbox four days later. Impressive. Buy with confidence.

Also, for anyone that finds this thread down the line sometime, another option that sounds worth considering is the Hawkins Precision Direct Mount (found here). At the time of this post, they're only for a 30mm tube with a 25 MOA cant on either a high or low set of rings. Some members here are excited for an upcoming 1" tube option and that set will apparently come with a 12 MOA cant. For my intended yardages I don't have much of a need for a cant to my mount, particularly one at 25 MOA, but that 12 MOA in a 1" tube could be useful. These rings have a bubble level built in. The price is pretty steep, IMHO, especially as compared to the Sportsmatch I have in hand, which is a world-class mount. But, for those doing the research to get their Tikka scoped, Hawkins is another option along with the Sportsmatch, Talley, Warne, DNZ, Nightforce, SWFA, and Leupold mentioned in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the input on this.

Attachments

• Sportsmatch_TO48.jpg
    Sportsmatch_TO48.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 84

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Got 'em.

Michael Tawn from Tawnado Ariguns in the UK emailed me shipping confirmation less than 12 hrs after I ordered the Sportsmatch rings from him. They were in my mailbox four days later. Impressive. Buy with confidence.

Edit: Turns out I'm both impatient and too trusting of the accuracy of USPS tracking. Rings arrived yesterday, very pleased with them so far.

Last edited: