Moving to Idaho

Gobbler36

WKR
Hello Rokslide community,
I am possibly going to be taking a ne job with the same company and moving to Idaho from Florida here very soon and as an avid outdoorsman one can only imagine my excitement. I have a wife and two young kids and don't want to live in the city but I will likely need to be an within commute distance from Boise. I am wanting to reach out to you guys to see what you suggest on looking at areas to live. Looking for small town feel with good schools, etc. white picket fence house and where friday nights are spent under the lights of high school football kind of place. Thanks in advance for any help.

goat1958

FNG
I would go the opposite direction as previous reply ..Mtn.Home property way cheaper, can be shooting your rifle within 15 minutes of home... Kuna area packed with people...

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Hello Rokslide community,
I am possibly going to be taking a ne job with the same company and moving to Idaho from Florida here very soon and as an avid outdoorsman one can only imagine my excitement. I have a wife and two young kids and don't want to live in the city but I will likely need to be an within commute distance from Boise. I am wanting to reach out to you guys to see what you suggest on looking at areas to live. Looking for small town feel with good schools, etc. white picket fence house and where friday nights are spent under the lights of high school football kind of place. Thanks in advance for any help.

Emmett, Idaho 6,284 people, easy commute to all the "metro" areas of Boise, great high school football team and close to recreation. Of course, in 10 years from now, who knows. The whole Boise area is a growin..................

Randy

Kuna is decent if you want small town, they actually have enough stuff now so that you can stay there for most things (groceries, hardware, etc). Emmett is also good. Middleton or Star might be worth looking at also.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Thanks guys I'm coming out in two weeks to do a final interview and look for houses, I appreciate all the feedback if you guys have more ideas I'd sure appreciate it.

gwl79902

WKR
Are any of the school districts better than the others in these areas. What about crime?

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
Im in the exact same boat brother! Only down side is it's probably going to cost me my 2016 hunting season to do it but I think the sacrifice will pay off big time.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Yeah possibly me too which sucks cause I probably have a tag for Colorado but it might not mess it up since I can expense moving cost but we'll see, still moving closer to elk country than Florida which means future hunting season will be much easier to access, that's a trade off I'm willing to accept

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Where ever you pick, there's more hunting/fishing opportunity than you can even get to (and much of it easy to get tags for)- steelhead, trout, Salmon, elk, turkeys, bass, mule deer, whitetails, bears (maybe grizz someday), antelope, wolves, big cats, and more birds than I can count. Warn you wife about this.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah possibly me too which sucks cause I probably have a tag for Colorado but it might not mess it up since I can expense moving cost but we'll see, still moving closer to elk country than Florida which means future hunting season will be much easier to access, that's a trade off I'm willing to accept

Absolutely!!! Im so sick of California!!!! Maybe sneak a weekend trip but nothing big, I takes six months to get your residency status.

Broomd

WKR
I would go the opposite direction as previous reply ..Mtn.Home property way cheaper, can be shooting your rifle within 15 minutes of home... Kuna area packed with people...

+1...although some of us kill deer, elk and turkey right on our acreage here. :)

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Finally made a dream happen and officially accepted the job in Idaho, next step is now to try and move from Florida to Idaho....... Should be fun!

Mtnboy

WKR
Something to consider, the housing market is absolutely crazy here right now...houses selling in days for top dollar. With that said, a "crash" should be coming soon.

Might be worth considering renting for 6 months to a year to get a feel for where you want to be exactly and wait for these prices to come back to reality.

Personally, I live to the West of Boise and like it better than the South (kuna) or the East (mountain home).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Good advice we are currently trying to determine whether we want to buy or rent, hard to try and decide because it could not crash and keep going up.