MR older pintler vs. sawtooth 45 vs. pop up 38

I've read a few threads discussing these bags and I'm curious what others would do in this situation:

I can get a pintler on the older guide light frame for about $330, or I can spend the extra ~$100 for the sawtooth 45 on the guide light MT (or the pintler on the MT). Is the sawtooth, or the MT frame, worth the extra $100?

Then there's the new pop up 38 which costs the same as the pintler on the old frame. I like that the frame can collapse down and be used as a carry on bag. Is the pop up frame and hauling ability so inferior to the other options that I mentioned that I should avoid if I can afford to?

I'm hunting Oregon coast mountains. This will be used primarily as a day pack with some overnights thrown in (I pack light). Realistically planning on hauling two deer a year, and would like to take on a trip to Hawaii for axis deer this fall, but not necessary.

If I've missed the boat on the perfect bag for the above use, please share your suggestions!

Looks like we're in a similar boat. I have been pondering some of these same things myself. Looking forward to hearing any insight shared on this!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Pezboat

WKR
I had an older Pintler and a Sawtooth. As far as the guide light frame vs the Mt light frame, the main difference is a bit more padding in the belt. They also made it easier to access the meat shelf with the newer bags. Is it worth $100 for the upgrade? That’s tough. The newer frame is definitely more comfortable, but the Pintler was still pretty good start with. I have no experience with any of the pop-up bags, so no idea there.

OP
H
I had an older Pintler and a Sawtooth. As far as the guide light frame vs the Mt light frame, the main difference is a bit more padding in the belt. They also made it easier to access the meat shelf with the newer bags. Is it worth $100 for the upgrade? That’s tough. The newer frame is definitely more comfortable, but the Pintler was still pretty good start with. I have no experience with any of the pop-up bags, so no idea there.

Thank you for that input. Would you choose the sawtooth over the pintler for the needs I listed if the extra capacity was important? I figure with patience I can get a sawtooth for $75 more than the old pintler.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
You sound like me a year ago. After deliberation and endless research I fell into a deal on a lightly used Pop-up 28. I bought it, ruck trained with it last summer, and packed 4 deer out with it last fall. The longest pack was 4.2mi with around 100lb estimated. It wasn't the most comfortable, but manageable. If I ever draw an elk tag, I'll probably upgrade. Until then, it just plain works for what I need to do.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Pezboat

WKR
Thank you for that input. Would you choose the sawtooth over the pintler for the needs I listed if the extra capacity was important? I figure with patience I can get a sawtooth for $75 more than the old pintler.

The Pintler is an awesome bag, but yes, the Sawtooth was my go-to bag over the Pintler. I liked the layout of the Sawtooth more.

Can't speak to the Pintler on the old frame but I have a Sawtooth 45. Used it for 2nd rifle in Colorado and helped pack out 2 bulls (including my 6x6). Very comfortable pack and it carried heavy weight very well. My buddy has a Popup 28 and it does have a smaller profile in terms of a day pack but I also never felt my Sawtooth was too big or bulky. He had a much harder time with the pack outs too...that frame just doesnt carry weight as well. If doing it over, I'd still buy the Sawtooth.

OP
H
Can't speak to the Pintler on the old frame but I have a Sawtooth 45. Used it for 2nd rifle in Colorado and helped pack out 2 bulls (including my 6x6). Very comfortable pack and it carried heavy weight very well. My buddy has a Popup 28 and it does have a smaller profile in terms of a day pack but I also never felt my Sawtooth was too big or bulky. He had a much harder time with the pack outs too...that frame just doesnt carry weight as well. If doing it over, I'd still buy the Sawtooth.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks! I have months until the season starts and I have OTC elk tag (in response to an earlier reply)... It sounds like I'll save some more pennies and spring for the Sawtooth.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I just got the Cabinet on the 2019 GL frame. Only disappointment for me is the lack of Molle/PALS webbing on belt on the GL frame. Not being able to put holster/pouches on the belt is something I wish I had noticed before I pulled the trigger. Frame and overload shelf itself for the price I paid is awesome however-I’ve only tried it around the neighborhood, but 60# of ammo on the overload shelf on the GL frame was way better than 30# in my Eberlestock X2 (not the pack’s fault, I bought the X2 before I measured my torso and found it too long for what the pack provides for).

Neumann

FNG
Exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks! I have months until the season starts and I have OTC elk tag (in response to an earlier reply)... It sounds like I'll save some more pennies and spring for the Sawtooth.
So did you pull the trigger on the sawtooth? I’d be curious on your feed back. I’ve been running the pop up 28 for about a year and love it, but I could use the extra space. Was also looking at the 38

macabra11

FNG
Bump. I am also looking at these three (or 4 if you include the older pintler) exact packs. I am wondering what the OP went with.

I have not seen any good reviews of the new Pop Up 38, which was supposed to get a better frame support and belt. I am leaning towards the new guide light MT frame, do to the upgraded belt. I just have no reference to compare any of these to, and haven't seen any in person. Size wise, the Pintler and Sawtooth are pretty darn close.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Does the Guide Light MT belt add any weight over the GuideLight.
I expressed that the only thing I didn’t like about my GL frame was the lack of Molle/PALS webbing on belt, but the Molle sleeves I got from member Pods8 took away that issue.
I grabbed a Pintler bag and between the two I’m set for my style of AZ hunting.

Last edited:
I own a sawtooth and pop up 38. Had an older pintler.

Between the new and old frame, the new one has more belt padding and the meat shelf access is easier. Is it worth $100 to upgrade? Probably not. If I didn’t own one would I buy the new vs old for $100 more? Probably yes. The belt was my main gripe with the guidelight frame so to me it is worth it for the fix. The pack bags between the pintler and sawtooth both offer good access and the sawtooth offers better organization. I probably have a slight preference for the sawtooth but both are fine.

The pop up is great. It isn’t a substitute for a full-size pack in terms of comfort or hauling. Between the pop up and the sawtooth / pintler, I would make the choice based on how much time I was going to haul. For me, my pop up is a daypack except 3-4x per year when I haul meat or a stand. I tend to think of it as a much more specialized pack. If I only had one, I would keep my sawtooth. It is almost as good in daypack mode and much more capable of hauling big loads or a 1-2 night gear load.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the Pintler's Trizip over the Sawtooths duffel-bag-zipper approach. The corners are bitch to close when packed full and I worry that it may give one day.
GEmtCNQ.jpg

The zipper on these bags are amazingly tough. Just not a fan of the 270 degree zipper configuration. Reminds me of a gym / duffel bags vs my familiar TriZip. The zippers on my Pintler or 3DAP never bulged like that when over packed
sCaznJw.jpg

The Trizip is simple, straight line.
Organization on the Sawtooth is a meh to me, since, I tend to put my organization is pouches or dry bags

The GL MT 5-pcs belt is worth of upgrade from the GL to me, since I don't have wide hips. Less slippage in my experience with the GL MT.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
The new 2020 Pintlers have not only been upgraded to fit the new MT frame, but they have added pockets to the flaps of the trizip, giving it a little more organization like the Sawtooth. The Pintler is made from 500 cordura fabric vs 330 for the Sawtooth. They are both the same price.

I guess it probably comes down to whether you prefer a trizip or 270 zip flap for the bag. Unfortunately, that is hard for me to tell without laying hands on one.

gearguywb

WKR
I looked at both last weekend. Ended up going with the Sawtooth. I liked being able to filet open the bag. IMHO, I don't think you will go wrong, its just a matter of personal preference.

bruno59

WKR
I have both and both are great bags you just have to decide which type of opening you like better they are both on sale at black ovis for $337.50 that is a great buy

I have both and both are great bags you just have to decide which type of opening you like better they are both on sale at black ovis for $337.50 that is a great buy

I bought the Sawtooth on Saturday for that price, plus got a free pack cover.

Yesterday, went back and bought the day pack lid to add to it when necessary. Saved another $22 and got another free pack cover.

I'll put that one in the Pop Up 28 that I've had a couple of years. That's a fantastic little pack too, btw.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the sawtooth. Unfortunately the free pack covers were out of stock. I waited a little too long.