New MR Ultra Light frame vs guide lite

I saw mystery ranch dropped a new frame system. I currently own a Sawtooth with the older Guide Lite MT frame. I want to get the new Gravelly 18 add on bag and am trying to decide how it’ll attach since it’s designed for the new Ultra lite frame.

Anyone have one of the new systems yet? I’m not against some diy modifications. Kinda my specialty lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious too. I have not seen or heard from anyone that has handled one yet. From the pics it looks like they are backward compatible. The attachment points on the mt and the new frame appear similar. Looks like they carved a bit of meat out of the frame board and added the ladder attachment points so you can adjust the height of the load lifter straps.

gravelly looks pretty cool. I wonder if it could even be used in place of a lid.

Geewhiz

WKR
Having not handled the new frame, I would hope that they would sell a buckle conversion kit to make the bags compatible with different frames, much like they did with the guide lite/guide lite mt frames/bags.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Having not handled the new frame, I would hope that they would sell a buckle conversion kit to make the bags compatible with different frames, much like they did with the guide lite/guide lite mt frames/bags.
Or just use the same damn buckles… but that would be asking too much I’m sure

Geewhiz

WKR
That would by far be the easiest solution. My favorite thing about MR packs is the way the bags attach to the frame and the location of the attach points. Hope they don't/didn't change that.

Hmmmm.

so on a whim, I called MR Customer service And asked. She said the gravelly would work on an MT frame but might need some straps that they sell. Basically an updated mule with stand alone function.

She said no plans to sell the ultra light frame solo or new bag only options at this point. Typical MR strategy - booooo! Doom on you.

she said that the new bags were NOT backward compatible. In fairness, she sounded like she was reading from an FAQ script. I pushed a bit and said if I buy the new frame with a new pack could I run my sawtooth on the new frame. She said NO that it has different buckles. I am not 100% convinced she knew though so maybe someone can come along with some actual experience based on handling these packs. even I the buckles are different then there has to be some kind of work around. If not, doom on Mystery Ranch for selling a 3rd generation of incompatible packs in 5 years.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Hmmmm.

so on a whim, I called MR Customer service And asked. She said the gravelly would work on an MT frame but might need some straps that they sell. Basically an updated mule with stand alone function.

She said no plans to sell the ultra light frame solo or new bag only options at this point. Typical MR strategy - booooo! Doom on you.

she said that the new bags were NOT backward compatible. In fairness, she sounded like she was reading from an FAQ script. I pushed a bit and said if I buy the new frame with a new pack could I run my sawtooth on the new frame. She said NO that it has different buckles. I am not 100% convinced she knew though so maybe someone can come along with some actual experience based on handling these packs. even I the buckles are different then there has to be some kind of work around. If not, doom on Mystery Ranch for selling a 3rd generation o incompatible packs in 5 years.
This is why I am done with MR on the next pack I buy… you can’t tell me buckle technology has advanced that much in the last 5 ish years that they needed to make frames with new buckles

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like the same layout since the NICE frame. I’d say just need to swap buckles.

Attachments

• IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 46
Looks like the same layout since the NICE frame. I’d say just need to swap buckles.
I tend to agree. Looked at the pics and videos and it looks to me like it is the same hardware in the same places as the MT.

I am a self proclaimed MR fanboy, but it is a poor show for them not to specify if this thing is backward compatible with older packs. Also, the fact that they don’t sell packs and frames individually is a bummer and has been for a long time.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This script has already played out with MR in the past. Not selling individual bags for a while, and keeping the same frame footprint while also obsoleting their previous gen bags etc was rediculous the first time they did it. I’ve lost track but think this is like the 3rd time now?? It’s maddening for sure, and why I also moved away from their frames/packs.

OP
T
I haven't seen this. Where did you see that?

It’s on their site. I just happened to get on and see it. And just reading the description I found the new frame. I feel it was poorly announced.

OP
T
Curious too. I have not seen or heard from anyone that has handled one yet. From the pics it looks like they are backward compatible. The attachment points on the mt and the new frame appear similar. Looks like they carved a bit of meat out of the frame board and added the ladder attachment points so you can adjust the height of the load lifter straps.

gravelly looks pretty cool. I wonder if it could even be used in place of a lid.

Right. That’s my plan for it. My sawtooth is pretty snug on a multi day hunt. I was literally getting on their sight to order a lid when I saw this and decided I wanted it instead. Super cool concept

OP
T

Right! I love mystery ranch, but why make it complicated? As bad as Apple changing phone chargers every two years.

OP
T
Hmmmm.

she said that the new bags were NOT backward compatible. In fairness, she sounded like she was reading from an FAQ script. I pushed a bit and said if I buy the new frame with a new pack could I run my sawtooth on the new frame. She said NO that it has different buckles. I am not 100% convinced she knew though so maybe someone can come along with some actual experience based on handling these packs. even I the buckles are different then there has to be some kind of work around. If not, doom on Mystery Ranch for selling a 3rd generation of incompatible packs in 5 years.

Lovely. Nothing like making someone’s 500 pack obsolete! I’m sure I can rig something up…

Saw this in the FAQ for the new metcalf. Makes me think it is a pretty easy adaptation to go from the MT frame to the Ultra light frame. Seems like it only takes a few $ worth of hardware on the bottom compression straps to make it work.

Will the ULTRA LIGHT METCALF bag fit on the GUIDE LIGHT MT frame?​

• The ULTRA LIGHT METCALF bag is compatible with the GUIDE LIGHT MT frame with a simple modification. To make the ULTRA LIGHT METCALF bag compatible with the GUIDE LIGHT MT frame, remove the HD Gate Keeper Lock from the bottom web compression on the ULTRA LIGHT MT frame and attach it to the bottom compression web on the GUIDE LIGHT MT frame. You can also use the quick attach buckle that comes with our QUICK ATTACH ACCESSORY STRAPS and place two snap attach buckles to the bottom loop of the daisy chain. This will allow for the buckles on the bottom compression strap from the GUIDE LIGHT MT frame to attach to the bottom of the pack.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Lovely. Nothing like making someone’s 500 pack obsolete! I’m sure I can rig something up…

Here’s what MR says for converting the BACKSTRAP HYDRO to the GL MT frame.

That tells me that it’s just changing buckles. Same mounting locations.
I’d use the original duraflex buckles. The new SJ buckles that MR use suck.

Attachments

• IMG_9290.png
    IMG_9290.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 16

Bump79

WKR
Just for the uneducated - did this frame launch with the new Metcalf packs? Or after?

OP
T
Well it’s official. I picked one up and it requires some modification. I had to add webbing loops as the new figment option doesn’t fit through the existing one for the buckles. Took me about 15 minutes, but it is annoying they basically pushed us into having to modify our own gear or drop 500 on a new pack when mine was already in like new condition.
61a753eac6605b82d875a8c3bdf1e460.jpg