New MR Ultra Light frame vs guide lite

OP
T
Here’s what MR says for converting the BACKSTRAP HYDRO to the GL MT frame.

That tells me that it’s just changing buckles. Same mounting locations.
I’d use the original duraflex buckles. The new SJ buckles that MR use suck.

This would be another option. Just swap out buckles. But I had webbing laying around and didn’t want to either remove brand new buckles from a new pack, or change buckles on my pack and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm.

so on a whim, I called MR Customer service And asked. She said the gravelly would work on an MT frame but might need some straps that they sell. Basically an updated mule with stand alone function.

She said no plans to sell the ultra light frame solo or new bag only options at this point. Typical MR strategy - booooo! Doom on you.

she said that the new bags were NOT backward compatible. In fairness, she sounded like she was reading from an FAQ script. I pushed a bit and said if I buy the new frame with a new pack could I run my sawtooth on the new frame. She said NO that it has different buckles. I am not 100% convinced she knew though so maybe someone can come along with some actual experience based on handling these packs. even I the buckles are different then there has to be some kind of work around. If not, doom on Mystery Ranch for selling a 3rd generation of incompatible packs in 5 years.
She probably knew some stuff about coolers though..

Not selling a frame only sounds like a mistake, but they probably know more than me about selling things and profit

mactastic

FNG
Did you think about wrapping the gatekeeper back on itself above the frame buckle? Wouldn't be as tidy as adding the loops, but should work.

You could get 2 sets of the accessory straps and substitute for the gatekeeper straps, but that runs $50 plus shipping, which is insane.

Best thing to me about the new frame is the seeming ability to use snap on and repair buckles. Could use all MR bags.