MR Selway 60 Discontinued?

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I was just about to pull the trigger on a MR Selway 60 but I am seeing that it is discontinued? Is there another pack that is comparable in the same size? Maybe a new model coming out? Input and insight appreciated.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a MR Selway 60 but I am seeing that it is discontinued? Is there another pack that is comparable in the same size? Maybe a new model coming out? Input and insight appreciated.

If it doesn’t have to be camo look at the Terraframe 65. Moosejaw.com has one item off at 20% so it would be $320 with the Guide light MT frame at a fraction of the hunting specific packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t know if they are discontinued or not but goHunt has the Selway 60 on sale for $380 right now.

If your looking for a comparable MR pack, I just ordered the Metcalf. For me, it was between the Selway and Metcalf. I figured that the Metcalf was the more versatile option because with the lid removed it would be very close to the Selway.

I’m not sure how big of a difference (if any) it makes but it looks like the Selway uses 330d nylon and the Metcalf uses 500d.

OP
T

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you both. I will check out both of these and figure it out

Welcome. I dont think the selway has been discontinued. It is still on their site With a new color for this year. For 2020 they moved the selway, Metcalf and marshal to the new “guide light mt“ frame so the “discontinued” model may be the older guidelight frame. Blackovis is selling both versions on sale right now for about $350. Good price and a great company to deal with.

FWIW I have the new frame and used the old one quite a bit. I prefer the new for comfort, assuming there isn’t a huge difference in price.

the selway is an interesting pack. That 60L volume is kind of a tweener. A bit more than most need for a daypack but not quite enough for a longer trip. I had a similar MR pack called the overload and it was a little snug for more than a day or two. You can add volume with the meat shelf or attaching stuff to the outside to make it work but it was a little tight for me. I tend to find a pack about 45-50 liters is a good mid size. Plenty for a night out or a heavy day load. For 2-5 days I like 70-80 liters of space like a melt calf or beartooth. I should note My packing isnt ultralight But also not being the kitchen sink. I am on the larger side, so XL/XXL clothes and long\wide sleep gear plus enough food to keep my big ass going tend to fill up some space.

Mule34

FNG
Desk Jockey, so I am doing a 8 day hunt in ID backcountry this fall and was looking at the pintler, you think I should step up to the metcalf or beartooth?

ewade07

WKR
Desk Jockey, so I am doing a 8 day hunt in ID backcountry this fall and was looking at the pintler, you think I should step up to the metcalf or beartooth?
I’d go with the metcalf at least. 8 days is a long time. I’ve been able to squeeze 3 days out of my pintler. I feel like that’s about the full extent. Your main space killer is gonna be food.

Mule34

FNG
I’d go with the metcalf at least. 8 days is a long time. I’ve been able to squeeze 3 days out of my pintler. I feel like that’s about the full extent. Your main space killer is gonna be food.
I plan on horseback to camp, setting camp up and dumping things, and doing day hunts from camp, or maybe just one overnight from main camp. I still need 8 days worth of food though, so youre right... I will step it up then!

fatlander

WKR
I plan on horseback to camp, setting camp up and dumping things, and doing day hunts from camp, or maybe just one overnight from main camp. I still need 8 days worth of food though, so youre right... I will step it up then!

Not to derail the thread, but I would bring the food in a dry bag on the meat shelf and leave it at camp. 8 days of food is going to put you in size category of the Marshall.

To the OP, I don’t think they’re doing away with the selway. That pack and the sawtooth always seems to be on sale somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the beartooth is going to be your best friend of the three. IMO/IME their beartooth should discontinue the metcalf at some point. At least for me it's a far better layout and more user friendly (i.e. less strappy and cumbersome) and both have comparable volumes

Mule34

FNG
Sorry OP, Just figured most people were commenting on here instead of starting a new thread. Thanks for the input guys!!

not to further derail, but it is a packing philosophy thing. You can go bigger bag (Metcalf, beartooth, Marshal) and load It all on the inside or smaller bag(pintle, sawtooth) and use the meat shelf for your camp items on the pack in. IMO the bigger bag favors the 3+ days on foot. The smaller bag is nicer in daypack mode. I haven’t done a lot of horse packing in years so not sure how much of my gear would be on my back on the hike in vs in a horse.

for what it’s worth, I have the luxury of owning more than one pack and don’t like to hike in with a bunch of stuff on the meat shelf (I find it carries less well and is a pain in the ass to access). So, I use my sawtooth for heavy day loads up to 2 nights. I will step up to a beartooth for 2 or more nights. If I only had one pack it would be a Metcalf, which is about in the middle for long and short use.

OXN939

WKR
Thank you both. I will check out both of these and figure it out

Just picked up a Selway 60 a few weeks ago. It's awesome. Took it for a ~20 mile overnighter and it was comfortable, spacious and easy to adjust. Stoked on it so far, and will be giving it a real deal op test in August.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Terraframe 50, a slightly smaller (50L) and "detuned", not hunting specific pack that still uses the Overload shelf and is rated to 150lbs, or the larger Terraframe 65 and Terraframe 80.

I picked up a new (current version) Terraframe 50 for $280 from REI during the Memorial Day sale.