MT changing their ways

Cubby

WKR
I just got the email today that MT is changing their tags to 8x11 paper that you can print off your tags at home and then the hunter is responsible for carrying a plastic bag to put on the carcass after the harvest. I'm not sure if I agree with the change but they say it will speed up the drawing process from taking 6 weeks to the results will be out 2 weeks after the dead line so that will be nice

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure that the cost of fancy bright perforated paper adds up. The man hours to stuff those envelopes also add up.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey, that's progress in my book if they can speed up the draw results, plus no more waiting on the mail, and posting on Rokslide "anyone get their MT tags yet?"

If I were a state competing for non-residents, I'd make the draw date as early as biologically possible and results availabilty early as possible. Those two things often determine what states I get serious about.
Just my opinion.

NDGuy

WKR
Before anyone bitches about people cheating and printing off multiple tags..

According to FWP licensing-

-The tag will be provided by a one time use link.
-This tag will not be visible on screen.
-The link will go directly to your printer settings where you will print it (I have no idea how they expect people to only print to a physical printer rather than a PDF)
-There will be a watermark that is printed on the tag that will make it unable to be photocopied.

Also this will help shrink likely $100s of thousands of dollars in licensing costs by moving away from the fancy paper copies.

aron

WKR
I am curious on the logic of how us hunters printing our own tags will speed up the draw results? I understand the delivery of said tag is more or less immediate now and certainly reduces that lead time but don't understand how it speeds up the draw.

NDGuy

WKR
I am curious on the logic of how us hunters printing our own tags will speed up the draw results? I understand the delivery of said tag is more or less immediate now and certainly reduces that lead time but don't understand how it speeds up the draw.
They are no longer accepting paper applications, it's all electronic so they don't have any time wasted collecting and documenting those.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
My big complaint is not having a waterproof tag no way a piece of printer paper will make it through hunting season with out being destroyed in my wallet.

ODB

WKR

-The link will go directly to your printer settings where you will print it (I have no idea how they expect people to only print to a physical printer rather than a PDF)
-There will be a watermark that is printed on the tag that will make it unable to be photocopied.

Also this will help shrink likely $100s of thousands of dollars in licensing costs by moving away from the fancy paper copies.

Umm...if they are providing you with a file you can print at home, then there’s nothing a knucklehead like me with the Adobe suite cant recreate - if it was worth the effort. I doubt it is...

NDGuy

WKR
Umm...if they are providing you with a file you can print at home, then there’s nothing a knucklehead like me with the Adobe suite cant recreate - if it was worth the effort. I doubt it is...
I mean at the end of the day people are gonna cheat either way. I'm over it after reading the information about tag printing. If someone wants to put that much effort into poaching I am sure they poach all the time anyways.

Selway

FNG

Where'd you get that information from?

I'm sure that the cost of fancy bright perforated paper adds up. The man hours to stuff those envelopes also add up.

Cant be any more than printing refund checks and stuffing those envelopes too..I see no mention of changing that in a effort to reduce costs...but then again no CC fees and maybe another month of interest on tag fees it may be worth it. Just seems weird... I am sure there are numbers to back it up somewhere.

Not that I mind the checks.. I have quite the collection of cancelled checks pinned to the wall in the home gym, great motivation for next yr.

BluMtn

WKR
Here is the Email

FWP looks to improve customer service with two changes to 2020 licenses
Hunters and anglers can expect a few changes this year when they buy their 2020 licenses starting March 1.

The most visible change Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks customers will see is a change to license paper. Starting this year, both licenses and carcass tags will be printed on normal-sized paper, and license buyers will be able to print them at home.

For years, FWP licenses and tags have been produced on weather-resistant paper. However, this paper is not only expensive, but requires printing technology so outdated that it’s almost impossible to replace. The switch to standard 8.5 by 11-inch paper will provide significant savings and ultimately be easier for customers.

What this means is hunters won’t have to wait for special permits or licenses to come in the mail from FWP, but rather will be able to print them at home or at their local license provider.

This change also will reinforce the ability in Montana to have your license electronically on your mobile device and not printed out in your pocket. While carcass tags still need to be printed out, other licenses, such as a fishing license, do not. If checked in the field, this electronic version of your license is perfectly legal.

FWP recommends that people carry small plastic bags with them while hunting, and place validated carcass tags in the bags before attaching them to an animal. Small plastic bags ideal for this application will be available at all license providers, but any small sandwich bag will work.

Additionally, in 2020, hunters applying for licenses or permits will be able to do so online or at an FWP office. Mail-in applications will no longer be accepted.

With modern technology, the number of online applications continues to steadily grow. Eighty-six percent of Montana hunters now choose this method. The small percentage of mail-in applications creates a time-consuming, expensive and inefficient delay in the license-drawing process. Mail-in applications must be entered manually in the licensing system, leaving room for human error and delays.

Customers who still look for written guidance to help them through the application process will be able to find information sheets online or at an FWP office in the coming weeks. These information sheets will not be accepted as applications.

This simple change means that drawing results will now be available two weeks after the application deadline, rather than six weeks, allowing hunters to begin making plans for the upcoming season that much earlier.

Norm555

WKR
I think both of these changes are great for Montana hunters and fisherman. Saves FWP money, makes things easier for license holders, and theoretically should speed up the draw process.

Ranger619

WKR
I like this, especially for a guy that has gone through the chit storm of trying to get a tag replaced that was lost in the mail.

jmez

WKR
SD has been doing this for a while with their normal hunting license. Now they just give you a QR code that you can download to your phone and the game wardens can scan it and it contains all your information.

ODB

WKR
I get all the money saving stuff, but there’s something different to the part of the ritual when you get “official” licenses and tags. I have a drawer full of old Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Washington, West Virginia and Virginia licenses... but these ones i print myself...meh....

same goes for actual plane tickets...