MT General Elk - When to hunt?

gtriple

WKR
I've got 2 full weeks to hunt in MT during the rifle season.

Would you prefer to:

- Hunt 2 weeks in a row (specifically the last 2 weeks of the season)?
- Or hunt the first week and the last week?

I kind of think first week and last week. I think a solid two weeks could possibly lead to falling into a set pattern that could be detrimental to the hunt. A...rut...if you will. 😬
I'm very jealous btw. I'll be in Montana in September for a wedding and a trip to Glacier, but my hunt will have to wait till November in Colorado, and December in Kansas. Wish you the best of luck!

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your mentality. Do you think you will break down halfway through, or are you very determined? The big benefit of two weeks is that you get to stay up to date on current patterns. A lot of things can change if you take a break and come back a few weeks later. You could possibly be starting from scratch, which eats away on precious time.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Depends on your mentality. Do you think you will break down halfway through, or are you very determined? The big benefit of two weeks is that you get to stay up to date on current patterns. A lot of things can change if you take a break and come back a few weeks later. You could possibly be starting from scratch, which eats away on precious time.
Short of a serious injury, we'd hunt for the entire time. Maybe a day in the middle to refuel and move locations.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of a day break in the middle, that would be the way I would approach the hunt. I think the odds are just more in your favor if you stay on top of them for 2 weeks

pumaa7

FNG
all good points. I like to backpack hunt so going out for one week at a time is about all the food I can fit and it’s nice to have some recovery time after a week in the bush

I’ve hunted elk in western Montana for 35+ years. No question I’d hunt the first week and the last. But you better know what’s going on the last week. Where did elk go after being pressured? Where are some migration routes or places that elk stage before migrating? Where will I hunt if the snow really piles up by then? If I had to pick one week it would be the last because I know the answer to those questions where I hunt.

Both scenarios have their pros and cons. I don't know which hunting district(s) you intend to hunt and whether or not you have access to private land, but I would lean toward hunting for two weeks straight because it gives you time in the hills to adjust your hunting patterns as needed. Also, talk to the biologists and game wardens in your hunting area for some advice and answers to some of your questions. Their input can be helpful in your decision-making process. Best of luck out there and have fun!

The last person I’d talk to is a Montana game warden. Montana FWP is NOT non res friendly. They’re not even hunter friendly. Besides those guys don’t know shit about hunting. The only thing they hunt is hunters! You’re better off talking to a local taxidermist or meat processor. Those guys want us to kill elk.

IS, I'm sorry that you feel that way toward MT Game Wardens since that hasn't been my experience with them. I guess everything in life starts with the right attitude. To each their own though. @gtriple, maintain a positive attitude, do your homework and have great hunting experience.

In my experience, if you can spend a day or two before opening to find out where some elk are, that's going to be your best shot. Some of my most unforgettable hunts have been the first couple hours of the season. I have also shot my largest bull on closing day. I think first and last weeks are the best.

hobbes

WKR
I’ve hunted elk in western Montana for 35+ years. No question I’d hunt the first week and the last. But you better know what’s going on the last week. Where did elk go after being pressured? Where are some migration routes or places that elk stage before migrating? Where will I hunt if the snow really piles up by then? If I had to pick one week it would be the last because I know the answer to those questions where I hunt.
I've not had that experience and every GW I've met has been a hunter.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Depends where you hunt in the state and what type of access you have. There's a big difference in where elk will be from opening week of rifle to the last week considering the pressure that area could get and snow. Are you familiar with the area?

pumaa7

FNG
Also, for me I consider moon cycle. I don’t believe it’s as big a factor as some folks do. But I Normally hunt 1st and 4th week of September for Colorado archery but this year will likely pull up my 4th week hunt to the third week since the last week of September has a full moon

I've not had that experience and every GW I've met has been a hunter.
Consider yourself lucky. Did you see the episode of Wardens filmed in Montana? The hunter win in court but they didn’t give him his elk back or another license.

hobbes

WKR
Consider yourself lucky. Did you see the episode of Wardens filmed in Montana? The hunter win in court but they didn’t give him his elk back or another license.
There are bad eggs in every profession and I'm not basing my opinion of GWs as a whole on an episode of Wardens

Deadfall

WKR
Holy smokes man. That is way to general a question. Can't even begin to answer that question without more information. Elk migration here is a big deal during rifle. Especially depending on what weather is doing.
If you are hunting where elk like to be during bow safari season. Then first week.
If you are hunting just outside winter range, then 3rd and 4th week if some weather is going on. If no major weather, then last week.

Generally, though first 2 weeks are best odds at a bull. Last week are best odds at A LARGE bull, keep in mind you probably see less elk. Old bulls pull off after rut and don't move very far so they are usually out of the way of mainstream rifle safari. By last week they are starting to move around a bit more.

Biggest question is what type of hunt you want. Geography matters