Mtn. Goat

KineKilla

WKR
Have a fall goat hunt this year and need some advice on how best to skin and care for the hide after the kill. I intend to have it full body mounted.

I've harvested enough game that I'm not too concerned with caring for the meat but I've never skinned an animal for mounting.

I've watched a few YouTube videos but any other tips or advice would be most appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
No experience here to help you but maybe some out of the box advice. Decide which taxidermist you intend to use and go talk to them and ask for advice. They may like things a specific way and this way you bring them an animal exactly how they want it. Good luck man!

Treat it like a predator. Make the same cuts down the legs (inside) and up the belly to the neck. Cut the feet off at the last ankle joint, let the taxidermist do the detail work there. Either cut through the bone at the base of the tail, or split the tail out lengthwise along the bottom.
As far as temperature goes, let it air cool, then get it rolled up to stay moist. Snow is great if you have access to a snow bank.

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
I know what taxidermist I'll be using already. We've discussed cost and I'm very familiar with his work but haven't discussed Cape care yet. The hunt is many months away still.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
Both of those guys have it right. I spoke with my taxi in 2012 when I drew a goat tag and he told me to do what PathFinder said. Good luck!

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I talked with my taxidermist first. Just ask how he wants it skinned, and make sure to ask him lots of questions.

NMO

FNG
Treat it like a predator. Make the same cuts down the legs (inside) and up the belly to the neck. Cut the feet off at the last ankle joint, let the taxidermist do the detail work there. Either cut through the bone at the base of the tail, or split the tail out lengthwise along the bottom.
As far as temperature goes, let it air cool, then get it rolled up to stay moist. Snow is great if you have access to a snow bank.

This works, but generally Taxidermist's prefer dorsal cuts for a lifesize mount or shoulder mount. Easier for them to fit the hide. Unless your taxidermist requests this, I would advise against cutting up the stomach on anything except bears for a rug mount. For leg cuts, everyone has different methods but cutting from the back of the ankle joint up to the elbow, and then pulling the leg up through the hide out the top is easy and reduces the amount of cutting.

If you are cutting the ankle joint and leaving it for your taxidermist, make sure you don't cut the joint down inside the hoof - pain in the ass to get it out when you don't have the upper portion to leverage it.

"then get it rolled up to stay moist." - Moisture = bacteria, unless it is cold enough that bacteria won't grow. Get it cool ASAP (a dry bag in a cold creek works, as does snow) and then get it turned and salted ASAP. If you aren't confident turning lips, ears, nose, eyes - pre arrange to get it to someone who does. Hair will slip in the face if not dealt with promptly.

I haven't watched through the whole video, but Bryan Martin knows his way around a cape - pretty confident it will give you everything you need.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a goat hunt two years ago. Treated it like skinning out a bear, no complaints from the taxidermist

This works, but generally Taxidermist's prefer dorsal cuts for a lifesize mount or shoulder mount. Easier for them to fit the hide. Unless your taxidermist requests this, I would advise against cutting up the stomach on anything except bears for a rug mount. For leg cuts, everyone has different methods but cutting from the back of the ankle joint up to the elbow, and then pulling the leg up through the hide out the top is easy and reduces the amount of cutting.

If you are cutting the ankle joint and leaving it for your taxidermist, make sure you don't cut the joint down inside the hoof - pain in the ass to get it out when you don't have the upper portion to leverage it.

"then get it rolled up to stay moist." - Moisture = bacteria, unless it is cold enough that bacteria won't grow. Get it cool ASAP (a dry bag in a cold creek works, as does snow) and then get it turned and salted ASAP. If you aren't confident turning lips, ears, nose, eyes - pre arrange to get it to someone who does. Hair will slip in the face if not dealt with promptly.

I haven't watched through the whole video, but Bryan Martin knows his way around a cape - pretty confident it will give you everything you need.

^^^this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
Dorsal cut. Imagine being a taxidermist...besides being easier to fit to form, would you rather sew the top of back or way underneath the legs. No taxidermist will have trouble hiding stitches on the back of a goat.