MTN Tough compared to MTI

Hey Rokslide

Did the MTI Backcountry Hunting Build 1 last year and it def prepared me for my MT Elk Hunt, but the deadfall still wooped my ass.

Didnt get to hunt this year due to my wife having a major surgery, my fitness took the backseat and I want to start prepping for next season now.

Has anyone done both MTI’s programs and MTN Tough that could provide some feedback on how they compare?

Thanks in advance

1jeds

FNG
Subscribing to this - I'm essentially doing the opposite. MTN Tough preseason prep 2.0 last year, and I just purchased the MTI packet (base, build 1, build 2, preseason) for the full 29 weeks to complete this year. I'm doing MTN Tough postseason strength in the meantime.

Did you just do the Build 1, or any other programs in addition?

My take on the MTN tough is that it certainly wasn't bad by any means, but a few quirks like having their videos and document of the workouts separate made it a pain to flip back and forth.

I also found the structure of some of the gym workouts to be unnecessarily complex with the sets/rep scheme, and some workouts required 2 barbells. I have 2 barbells, but can also be a PITA when trying to switch out weights between them.

I did like some of the pack simulator workouts, those were tough. I would like to see more specificity with long, redundant rucking, hiking, or step ups. Overall I would recommend it for sure, anyone would benefit from the program, but I'm interested to compare to MTI this season.

OP
A
Subscribing to this - I'm essentially doing the opposite. MTN Tough preseason prep 2.0 last year, and I just purchased the MTI packet (base, build 1, build 2, preseason) for the full 29 weeks to complete this year. I'm doing MTN Tough postseason strength in the meantime.

Did you just do the Build 1, or any other programs in addition?

My take on the MTN tough is that it certainly wasn't bad by any means, but a few quirks like having their videos and document of the workouts separate made it a pain to flip back and forth.

I also found the structure of some of the gym workouts to be unnecessarily complex with the sets/rep scheme, and some workouts required 2 barbells. I have 2 barbells, but can also be a PITA when trying to switch out weights between them.

I did like some of the pack simulator workouts, those were tough. I would like to see more specificity with long, redundant rucking, hiking, or step ups. Overall I would recommend it for sure, anyone would benefit from the program, but I'm interested to compare to MTI this season.

I only did the Build 1,

I do like that MTI’s exercises are pretty simple and you dont need a ton of equipment. I bought their sandbag and was able to do everything in my garage and driveway/street with my garage gym equipment. MTN’s preseason 2.0 looks like you need a full gym incl fan bike/rower/ski erg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I purchased lifetime access to preseason prep from Mtn Tough a few years ago. 300 bucks if i remember correct. Used it thru the 2021 season but not the last two. Evidently it wasnt my lifetime they were basing it on. Looks like I will have to pay again if i want to start using their program again.

RyCo

FNG
Hey Rokslide

Did the MTI Backcountry Hunting Build 1 last year and it def prepared me for my MT Elk Hunt, but the deadfall still wooped my ass.

Didnt get to hunt this year due to my wife having a major surgery, my fitness took the backseat and I want to start prepping for next season now.

Has anyone done both MTI’s programs and MTN Tough that could provide some feedback on how they compare?

Thanks in advance
I've done the whole mti Backcountry packet several times through, I've also done the mtntough pre and post season 2-3x each. Last year all year preseason I used the hard to kill programming from Garage Gym Athlete.

They're all great, and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately deadfall is still going to suck no matter what you do. The hunting never feels easier, you just do more of it.

MTI will prepare you as good as anything but some of the workouts are real grinds (1000xstep ups is mind numbing) and can push up way beyond an hour. It also is very specific (the backcountry hunting program) and it might not be as good for general fitness as some of the other programs.

Mtntough will get you pretty well prepped as well. Most of the workouts will come in right around an hour which is nice if you're doing other things or are time constrained in any way. There's relatively little zone 2 or long slow distance type training with this, so it's something you might want to supplement. It is pretty strong in terms of general physical fitness while still being specific. Long-term it can get a little taxing on the legs, depending on what you do on your days "off", as it hits the legs pretty hard 5 days a week with either weight or volume.

Garage Gym Athlete is much less specific but worked very well to maintain the base that I had built up with MTI and Mtntough. They have the best app of the three with workout tracking, automatic percentage calculation, one rep max tracking etc. The app also has some nutrition, sleep, and other wellness tracking built in as well which is pretty nice if you want it. They don't do near as much to support the hunting community as mtntough and MTI.

I moved away from mtntough for a while for the same reason somebody else mentioned - I had purchased the lifetime access years ago and got a little upset when they were releasing a lot of new stuff and not giving me access. They did give me lifetime access to everything that existed when I paid for the lifetime access, so I can't really fault them. And I totally understand why they wanted to go to the subscription model, everything's packaged as a subscription service these days.

This year I've reverted back to Mtntough, I'm on week seven of the postseason strength, and enjoying it quite a bit. I even ponied up the $100 for a year subscription when it went on sale to check out some of the new content. They're building up a pretty good and diverse library of content- around fitness, nutrition, mental toughness, flexibility, PT, etc. Also best merch in the game.

Clarktar

WKR
I can't recommend Todd B and the hunter predator Packmule program enough. Couple different subscription options from full on coaching/hand holding to just the program. He runs Beyond Strength gym as well. Check out their podcasts to get an idea of their approach.

It's easily the best choice I've made and I've used all kinds of programming (self, MTI, Mtn tough, Wendler, etc).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Deadfall whoops your ass no matter how good of shape you are when you hit the mountain. I think the better shape you’re in, the more you push. You would’ve been whipped after less mileage in deadfall, but you trained like a savage; so you’re going to keep pushing until you’re thoroughly whipped. At least that’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t done their backcountry program but MTI is my go-to for programming. I like Rob’s approach for event-specific programming— the a tough hunt is a tough hunt: it doesn’t care if you only have 30 minutes a day to train, or you work a night shift, or you’re not in your 20s anymore… it’s still gonna kick your can if you’re not in shape.

Souvlaks

FNG
I tend to think the volume on MTI is ridiculous and unnecessary. It’s a subscription from the old days of CrossFit that 1,000 sloppy step ups are better than 100 well executed step ups. Definitely leans full muscle endurance but I think ultimately opens you up to unnecessary injuries training.

Check out the Power Athlete community

Trybendr

FNG
I purchased lifetime access to preseason prep from Mtn Tough a few years ago. 300 bucks if i remember correct. Used it thru the 2021 season but not the last two. Evidently it wasnt my lifetime they were basing it on. Looks like I will have to pay again if i want to start using their program again.
No, I did the same. When you login that program will still be available.

I’ve done both. Mti to me was alot more cardio based where mtn tough is more strength and high intensity. No doubt both will work me personally I prefer the more strength based workouts I enjoy them alot more and my fitness was never a worry hunting or packing out in Wyoming last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk