Mtngear bipod?

svivian

WKR
Very interested in this also. Sometimes lightweight leads to instability. The Hatch appears to be the most versatile but it comes at a weight penalty. That said, I would rather have the weight penalty for something more versatile, indestructible and that doesn’t rattle around on my rifle.

These are all assumptions from not physically having either in possession. Anyone have experience with both or have added opinions with actual experience? Greatly appreciated.
I would be willing to send my Hatch outdoors bipod to someone (or vice versa) with a MTNGEAR bipod for a thorough test and review. This would have to be after season though as i have several hunts coming up.

Brendan

WKR
Not their bipod, but I just bought one of their "MTN Stick" Ice Axe / Trekking pole combos.

I've been in the market for one for a couple years and pretty much bought on impulse when I saw them. Appears to be very well made and I like the Rail attachment to use it as a monopod or rest for binos.

I would be willing to send my Hatch outdoors bipod to someone (or vice versa) with a MTNGEAR bipod for a thorough test and review. This would have to be after season though as i have several hunts coming up.
Any negatives from your perspective on the Hatch? Things you don’t like?

svivian

WKR
Really just a few nitpicking things, but the weight is the main thing. Some things could be tighter and less sloppy. Also the pin that you pull to spread the legs can get jammed up and difficult at the wrong time. These are just a few things ive noticed for the month or two that ive been using it.

Overall i really love the adjustability and height for a variety of shooting positions you just dont get with other bipods. I also love being able to shoot standing while anchoring a leg into my hip for stability.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll try to provide some more thoughts/details later, but just wanted to quickly add that the MTN Gear bipod's adjustability proved to be very crucial on my recent mountain goat hunt. I had to get setup in a very awkward position while wedged in some boulders to make a very precise shot with a tight window to the goat's shoulder. I struggled to get solid, but wouldn't have been able to get solid at all without this bipod's adjustability.

I'll try to provide some more thoughts/details later, but just wanted to quickly add that the MTN Gear bipod's adjustability proved to be very crucial on my recent mountain goat hunt. I had to get setup in a very awkward position while wedged in some boulders to make a very precise shot with a tight window to the goat's shoulder. I struggled to get solid, but wouldn't have been able to get solid at all without this bipod's adjustability.
Definitely looking forward to you added feedback. I have a SE Alaskan Mtn Goat hunt in November and am really pressed for time to figure out which way I will go. I have an Atlas and a Harris. Both of which won’t be making the trip for various reasons. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing your added thoughts.

OP
T

Topknot

FNG
So I did buy one. It is crazy light with a lot of adjustment. I don’t have any complaints yet, I have not had any issues with it making noise. I guess I did find it getting twisted from brush or tree branches so i started carrying with the legs facing down instead of up and flip it when I get to a spot to glass. The legs can still be deployed when attached backwards.

MojaveJim

FNG
Mark did you convert it to Arca or just use an adapter? I have one ordered & wanting to make it Arca compatible but light as possible.

Seeing the Mtngear bipod was out of stock I bought the Cykepod. For my mtn goat hunt that I just finished. Though the Cykepod isn’t terribly light, especially when compared to the Mtngear, it’s probably the best constructed bipod on the market. There is zero reason they should cost as much as they do, and I hated paying that much for it, but I needed something asap and it was in stock. Zero regrets. The articulation, adjustability and construction is top notch. Might still try and get a Mtngear once back in stock for a lighter option to compare to the Cyke.

Last edited:

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mark did you convert it to Arca or just use an adapter? I have one ordered & wanting to make it Arca compatible but light as possible.
I used a small Pic rail (mounted via M-LOK) on my XLR chassis. An ARCA version of the bipod would be great, but would definitely increase weight and likely reduce the "speed" of any mechanism that would securely lock to ARCA.

I’ve been using my hatch all season now which has helped me get a solid rest in awkward spots. The main advantage I’ve found with the hatch has been the height that you get with it. I keep finding myself taking shots at over 400 yards on steep hills and not sure how I would have gotten a solid rest without it… that being said I do not like the cord pull system to lower it… it seems to get stuck frequently. Also, in sub 20 degree weather the plunger system got stuck and wouldn’t lock my legs out so as I went to put pressure on the bipod it would collapse every now and then.

Decker9

WKR
I packed the mtngear bipod a bit this fall, pretty cool piece. I can see it being “breakable”, being so light, but does hold my rifle steady. I’m pretty pleased with it so far.

Seeknelk

WKR
I haven't looked yet but do they have "gunsmith adapters" like Spartan? Where you epoxy them into the stock, flush and not in the way at all?

eltaco

WKR
Any update on experiences with this bipod? I’m interested in this bipod based on the specs and capabilities, but there isn’t much out there in the way of product reviews.

I am also in the market for the MTN bipod or the Hatch. I am new to western hunting, headed on my first elk hunt in SW WY this fall. Considering either of these or a set of Quick StiX on my trekking poles. Or maybe both? Wanting stability in both prone, kneeling, or even standing positions if possible. Like the height adjustability of the Hatch the best but not the weight, like the weight of the MTN bipod but just doesn’t seem high enough for a kneeling/ kneeling rest?

I am also in the market for the MTN bipod or the Hatch. I am new to western hunting, headed on my first elk hunt in SW WY this fall. Considering either of these or a set of Quick StiX on my trekking poles. Or maybe both? Wanting stability in both prone, kneeling, or even standing positions if possible. Like the height adjustability of the Hatch the best but not the weight, like the weight of the MTN bipod but just doesn’t seem high enough for a kneeling/ kneeling rest?
I absolutely love the functionality of the hatch, but it definitely does not solve every shooting scenario. I have the standard height and I feel like it sits too tall for prone, and can be a pain to get to drop to the lower position. I will say that it helped me kill 3 deer this year all over 400 yards and provided a super steady rest. However due to not being able to stand With it and the weight of it being on the front of the gun I will be switched to a mtn gear bipod and also carrying a tripod that has multiple purposes… plan on being being to shoot off it, glass with a spotter, and break down the legs into trekking poles.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Quick-Stix > Bipod for kneeling/sitting height. (And use your pack as rear support.)

Discussed that, and the Mtn Gear bipod more here.

I absolutely love the functionality of the hatch, but it definitely does not solve every shooting scenario. I have the standard height and I feel like it sits too tall for prone, and can be a pain to get to drop to the lower position. I will say that it helped me kill 3 deer this year all over 400 yards and provided a super steady rest. However due to not being able to stand With it and the weight of it being on the front of the gun I will be switched to a mtn gear bipod and also carrying a tripod that has multiple purposes… plan on being being to shoot off it, glass with a spotter, and break down the legs into trekking poles.
What are your thoughts on glassing and shooting off the same tripod? I will be using a Sirui ST-124 with a VA-5 fluid head for glassing. From what I am seeing, most shooting off a tripod occurs off a ball head, but it seems that most prefer a fluid head over a ball head for glassing?