Mule deer bedding

Do mule deer bucks like to bed in “certain type” of cover or just whatever they feel comfortable in?

Just when I think I have a bedding area figured out, they decide to do something totally different. I've seen everything from obvious groves of aspens to boulders that just cast enough of a shadow to tiny pine trees that just barely cover them up.

Get behind glass when they're moving and be patient. They'll give you a chance to get close.

My area has a lot of rock cliffs that are covered in tall sage and bushes. Watch them slowly feed in the mornings up to this cliff bands where they are covered in shade. The smaller bucks kinda bed anywhere but the bigger ones know how to hid themselves. Makes for cool stalks coming from above them and getting within 15 yards.

Wherever they can hide or feel secure. I see tons when I’m out that are just about all vacant but highly used in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
If it’s hot they bed in shade, if it’s super windy the bed on the leeward side of the mountain/hill. If it’s cool they will be right on a wide open knob sometimes. It doesn’t take much cover to shade a deer.

Fatcamp

WKR
If it’s hot they bed in shade, if it’s super windy the bed on the leeward side of the mountain/hill. If it’s cool they will be right on a wide open knob sometimes. It doesn’t take much cover to shade a deer.

Or if it's hot and windy they bed right out in the sun and wind. LOL. Sometimes there is just no telling.

As a rule check the spots nphunter referred to, but they can be anywhere.

Jimss

WKR
Boy a lot can change from area to the next and one time of year to another. A lot depends upon the time of year, temps, wind, brush, trees, topo, elevation, hunting season, velvet vs hard antlered, cool north slopes in summer vs warm south slopes in the winter, proximity to water, hunting pressure, predators, etc. One thing I've learned is that once velvet is shed mature bucks are an entirely different critter! They become like ghosts and often don't show themselves until later in the rut or on the winter grounds.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The buck I killed this past Monday was bedding in a pine top. He stood up and fed in the brush top for about 10-15 minutes. I shot him when he stepped out of the pine top.

I’ve seen them laying in old farm equipment and in rock piles so I don’t think they are overly picky

In western KS I find they bed in all sorts of places.

-in the shade of a hill, rock outcropping, or yucca stand
-at the bottom of a tight draw during a windy day
-on an open knob on a cold but sunny day

Most of them seem to make sense but I can think of a few times a good buck bedded in the wide open on a warm day, but those times he was likely with a hot doe. So, I think the lesson is that they will compromise security to accommodate their breeding strategy. I find most bucks when they're on their feet, or I find does on their feet and then the bucks with them. Rarely will I glass up antler tips in a yucca stand or something but I still try.

BluMtn

WKR
Out in the hilly farm country the mulies will bed on the edge of the stubble field against a hill. They will dig a pocket into the hill and lay there all day if undisturbed.

Brendo91

FNG
Something that I have noticed and to keep in mind while hunting is the first place they lay down is usually not their final bed for the day. They usually get up and move within the hour.

W here I live ,wide open prairie with sage or crop covered farm land they bed in the slightest patch of tall grass or weeds. One factor always present is they bed where they can see on their downwind side. I have also noticed that the real big boys bed further away and take more time/care in coming in to food sources.

I view it from a Maslow's Basic needs, at least the first 3, 1). food and water, 2). shelter, 3). security. If they get pushed out of their bedding area often enough, they simply will stop bedding there, and may or may not come back to it. So in short, their bedding area must provide a sense of security for them.

Generally young deer, including young bucks are not as disciplined as mature bucks. What I mean here is a mature buck in an area of pressure, does not water during the day, unless it get very hot, generally in the triple digits (there are of course exceptions for everything). The young deer with does, no matter how old the doe is, simply cannot control nor ignore it's need for food and water, so we very very often see them watering during the day.

So lets go back to my first paragraph (please reread it). Does with youngsters, are significantly less likely to leave an area due to human presence, as their youngsters needs often dictate the locations they chose. The youngsters simply must feed and water during the day (and at night). Mature bucks on the other hand, have learned that their survival depends on their behaviors, such as forgoing water during the day, they often bed in marginal food areas, and at times, pretty much locations with nonexistent food. For example, Decades ago I hunted this area with some extraordinary bucks (as in very large antlered). After passing a few good bucks the first few days, I started have significant difficulty finding mature bucks. So, I found myself hunting a fairly steep slope with a very very large bolder field. I mean boulders the size of cars and trucks, lose boulders. In short, the bucks were bedded, spread out in this boulder field. In another area, totally different area and hunt, I found them in the lava fields, very broken lava fields. Both areas were very difficult to hunt, because you'd almost have to step on them, but the ground under you (in this case rocks and boulders) was not stable. Honestly, I spooked more bucks than I got the opportunity to shoot.

As has been mentioned, many factors come into play as to where deer spend their days, Mature bucks are often more affected. But as the age old saying goes, the bucks are where you find them.

I hope that helps!

joelski

FNG
Something that I have noticed and to keep in mind while hunting is the first place they lay down is usually not their final bed for the day. They usually get up and move within the hour.
Second this. I've banked on animals being where they've bedded first thing a couple of times only for them to have rolled out before I could get within range

enoakes

FNG
From my experience, I've noticed that early morning they like to bed up high. The thermals are coming off the top so predators can't blindside them. They also go like many have mentioned where they are least pressured. Every area is different and has its quirks. Getting boots on the ground and hiking during different times of day will not only tell you the elevation the bucks are at you will know if you bump them out of their beds.