Mule deer hunt in Utah

Jason7

FNG
Does anyone have any tips on a first timer hunting mule deer in Utah during the general season rifle hunt. I will be in the South Yellowstone unit. Not asking for any places, just tips on where the may be and what to look for.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the biologist notes for your unit on the Utah hunt planner and then call the biologist for your unit. I spoke to one recently and he was super friendly and more than willing to give Information and answer my questions. Just call the DWR regional office that includes your unit and ask to speak to the biologist for your unit and they’ll put you through.

Jason one thing I've loved knowing is by and large, but not always, deer like to be on south facing slopes in the evening and start moving to north facing slopes in the morning. Similarly with east, west facing slopes, during the day I find most bedded on west facing slopes. When there's a lot of shady pines, such as South Yellowstone, there may not be as much movement as they can hide from the sun almost anywhere.

dclv50

FNG
Good luck! I'll be hunting Utah for the first time this year as well West Desert West.

OP
J

Jason7

FNG
Thanks for the insight on where to look. Hopefully I can apply some of that to see a few deer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Be prepared for lots of people and lots of pressure the first few days. If you have a place you wanna be at sun up get there like three hours before and be prepared for people to see you there in your orange suit and walk right through the area youre glassing.

Skip opening weekend, start hunting Monday or Tuesday and stay as long as you can. If time isn't an issue then do the whole hunt, but above posts are right about the crowds. Deer will come back out of the woodwork during the week after all the pumpkins are gone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jason7

FNG
Well this will definitely be an experience then. I've never out of state rifle hunted. I have been on numerous out of state trips bowhunting and people are always an issue on public. I'm sure this will reinforce why I bowhunt. Thanks again for the insight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk