Mules vs Horses

mntnguide

WKR
"you can kick a horse off a cliff; you will never make the mule move" ...analogy ive always told clients when they use to ask me the difference between riding mules and horses. Mules can definitely be to smart sometimes! and they also REMEMBER. dont ever do something to a mule that you dont want them to remember, because they will get ya back!

rayporter

WKR
a few years ago i came along a trail where a mule had voluntarily jumped off a side hill that may as well have been a cliff. the rider was left face down in the trail or it would not have been pretty. the crew with him eventually got the mule back up on the trail.

spitting rocks for a few hours had to be better than rolling down the mountain with the mule.

Horses vs mules??? That's easy... mules.
like said above; they pack more, eat less, don't need as much hoof care, more sure footed, better temperament, spook less.

I grew up with horses at first, but later we switch every thing over to mules... including the riding stock. At one point we had 9 head. Mules are like any.other animal,.some are gems and others are a bit ornery. But usually those ornery ones were the hardest packers.

But after 4 bouts with cancer Dad gave up the stock and my hunting life changed. Tried the backpack thing, it's OK but I'd much rather be sitting an animal.

So it talked buddy into going halves with me on some stock..... my thought was a couple dual duty mules that we could lead in with saddle panniers and the ride around scouting.

Well after pricing mules, we got a bit of sticker shock.... yikes! Horse are/were cheaper then, so we opened up the search to include good trail horses. Watched the ads for a few months, lots of options, but just wasn't hearing the right things about thier past & usage. Finally went and looked at a couple quarter horses, mother son pair that needed a new home due to owner health & bills. Supposedly been there done that in some of the same country I hunt. Good solid quarter horses, mother 10yr white/gray mare, son a 5yr old monster big paint. No white pink eye. Smoke'n deal. So we rode her and packed him for the first couple seasons using saddle panniers.

Added a couple smallish mules a while back, all fits in a 3 slant trailer just fine.

Took them all into Hells Canyon this year and...wow! boy was I impressed with our dinky mules that nobody wanted. Fred & Jenny are little gems, lined right out w/o issue. After a half day ride I pulled saddles.to find the horses slathered and the mules bone dry. Obviously they could've hauled more.... beer!
Anyway, happy here.
Hunt'nFish

jmez

WKR
A lot of good stuff here, I'll add a few comments.

You should look for stock that has experience in the mountains. This is important if you are new to horses/mules. They can ruin a trip just as well as they can make it easier. Much less chance of that happening with experienced animals.

If you get serious and decide to buy talk to some outfitters that use the animals and also talk to your local equine vet about where to look to purchase. The horse industry is wrought with dishonest con men that are looking for people like you. The vet will know who they are in your area. You should be able to try the horse/mule for a few days prior to buying, the owner may require you to insure the animal but if this is refused it is a red flag. You should also have a vet check done prior to buying, this will be on your dime. The last thing you need is a horse/mule with an issue that can't be fixed and end up with a useless animal. It happens all the time, I see it every week, and again, you are a prime target. If the seller refuses to let you have a vet check then do not buy the animal period.

On the vet check front. Most horses that are a little older and have experience will have some issues. Don't expect to get a perfect clean bill of health. What you are concerned with is can the issues be managed for a reasonable amount of money and longevity. There is always some give and take. Some horses and mules never have any issues but how many of us have no minor issues/aches and pains that we take care of and deal with?

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
After dealing with a couple of less than honest horse sellers I have to agree with what jmez wrote! Many people are nice and good and many are also ignorant/don't know about their own horse or horses in general for that matter. My first horse I bought was not the best/most pleasurable but, I learned a whole lot! I bought a horse that was registered, was a 5 year old, advertised as no buck, no bite, no rear, likes to just walk along and great on trails. Turns out I was the fourth or fifth person to buy her, she was lunged so hard that she couldn't offer a buck or rear and then their (previous owners) idea of turning her or controlling her was to put a heavy bit in her mouth and crank on her face. I test rode her (she seemed relatively quiet, probably because they lunged the dog snot out of her before I got there and never said a word about that) and my first mistake was not having the owner go out to the pasture to catch her and then tack her up in front of me! Make sure you see that, my girl was already tacked up when I arrived. Look at general care, my girl had bot fly eggs all over her!! My girl was terrible and we almost couldn't get her in the trailer (easily fixed so it didn't bother me but shows how much training and work they either did or didn't put into her and how much experience she probably does or doesn't have trailering which also tells me she didn't leave the area for trail riding). She showed signs of abuse, maltreatment which was identified after I had taken her home. So there are plenty of things to look out for! I will be honest, after everything my girl and I went through I wouldn't trade her for the world now, it hasn't always been easy but it has been incredible watching her grow and earning her trust. My point, there are plenty of good horses out there that won't almost break your wifes or your neck the first time you try to ride them at home. Take someone that has experience, listen to them and check you emotions at the door!

Make sure you know what you want! Outline the parameters of what you NEED the horse to do versus wants (do you need one that is dead broke, do you want some speed, do you want one you would feel confident a child could manage, how much trail experience or has it only been ridden in arenas, etc etc etc) to help make you successful for your trips. This will help you to better decide on what you are getting (just my .02).

If someone wants to add their experiences please do! I have learned that the more I learn about horses, the more I learn that I have a lot more to learn!

Last edited:

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
Horses vs mules is like discussing religion. someones is going to bring up llamas, then this will get serious. then someone is going to bring up pack goats, and our computers might overheat!

As others have mentioned, go on disposition first. As you learn to pack; gentle, gentle, gentle is the name of the game. A bad horse or bad mule can get you hurt and ruin hunts. Also, consider 1-2 gentle pack animals and just lead them in. You can go a lot of places without having to carry your gear, without the stress of taking care of a lot of stock on the mountain.

Now to opinions. Horses are generally better than mules for the casual packer. They are cheaper, easier to obtain, more of them are multi-use (pack and ride), etc... A good mule is better than a good horse, but a bad mule is 20x as bad as a bad horse.

When we run big strings and are pounding it day-to-day mules are a little better. They have better feet, lower maintenance, string better, and stay upright when conditions get scary. They have different little feet and have a little short-walk type of gait they get into that helps them out. We pack around 30 mules for 90+ days every year and they hold up well. I pack another 15 or so horses and they just take a little more work to keep looking good and healthy.

Main thing to remember is that there is a real learning curve before you will enjoy mule/horses. Use them a bunch and eventually you will see the joys they can bring in the mountains. Push it hard and try to jam a square in a circle hole, and you will never enjoy them. Smoke Elser has a great book and "Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails" is also good. Go pack with a couple outfitters to get a feel for it (maybe before you buy anything).

A good way to get reasonable pack stock is to purchase older animals from an outfitter. They take a little tlc, but having a old docile mule you can throw a bear on will make life a lot easier for you. Everyone who has a bunch has to get rid of a few old good ones each year, because they just won't hold up to the work.

hope that helps.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reading recommendation! I am wanting to take my Poppy out trail riding for something a bit more than a 1 day riding trip. We have a lot more work and training to do! Again thank you for the recommendation Ftguides!!

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if anybody is looking but I saw a few Jenny's that are about to get shipped of to slaughter out in Peabody Kansas. Apparently it is not all the infrequent so if someone is looking I can put you in touch with Greenwood Stables and Equine Rescue (they have a facebook page). One of the Jenny's was really nice and came up to my daughter, let us handle her. Figure I would share this in case someone was interested.

Whatever you decide to go with look at it more than once. I can't tell you how many times I've heard or seen the "dead broke push button horse" have a come apart after it gets to its new home. Come to find out the buyer only looked at it one time and the horse was" perfect " the entire time they were there. The whole 10 minutes of it. When I go look at a horse I make a scheduled stop an ride it, mess with it, and really go over it. Then a few days later I may just stop buy on short notice or just happen to be in the neighborhood. Sometimes it's enlightening to say the least. As was said earlier go by the disposition of the horse. I love roans. However I will buy a good minded sound horse of any kind Over a questionable roan, no matter how good looking.

PARA1

FNG
A lot of good points here But I will add
That a good mule less than 20 yrs old is a rare thing most of the best pack strings I have ever seen 25 was the average age
And at this point was priceless. There are plenty of mountain smart horses with big black feet and good bone to take more than a mule can, that being said I love quarter mules but riding them due to their shape less withers makes keeping a saddle centered hard even with mule bars
In my experience.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you decide to go with look at it more than once. I can't tell you how many times I've heard or seen the "dead broke push button horse" have a come apart after it gets to its new home. Come to find out the buyer only looked at it one time and the horse was" perfect " the entire time they were there. The whole 10 minutes of it. When I go look at a horse I make a scheduled stop an ride it, mess with it, and really go over it. Then a few days later I may just stop buy on short notice or just happen to be in the neighborhood. Sometimes it's enlightening to say the least. As was said earlier go by the disposition of the horse. I love roans. However I will buy a good minded sound horse of any kind Over a questionable roan, no matter how good looking.

I bought a "no kick, no buck, no bite" horse. My mare threw my wife and I. It took a lot of work and patience and she is now the nicest girl to me. We still have a lot to learn and do but it is a slow, growing process that involves patience.

After reading this post....I have decided that I will never own mules or horses. Maybe a couple pack goats one day..... I always was more of a dog person. lol

Excellent post and everything said goes pretty much with everything I have ever heard.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't trade my Poppy for anything! Once you establish that relationship horses are wonderful!

Good thread so I'll add my 2 cents as well.

As a horsewomen myself, you will have some of your best days on the back of a horse, along with some of the worst as well. But I believe everything about them are worth it. Including going out on Christmas Day before dinner to take care of them or walking a colicky horse in the middle of the night waiting for the vet to show up. Good horses are hard to beat especially the ones that are forgiving and honest. And in my opinion if a vice, age, or some minor maintenance is a deciding factor for purchasing a good animal, its probably still worth it to buy the horse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has been a good read (and much more civil than the Ford/Chevy debate!). Both are beautiful animals that I appreciate. This post has confirmed my prior justification to myself that paying a packer once after I get an elk is much more sensible and economical for my way of life than having the year-round investment of time and money.

rayporter

WKR
that is a wise decision for those not brought up with stock.

there are many other hidden aspects that can sneak up on those not prepared to deal with livestock also. feed and vet bills are only a small part of the total picture. housing and fencing must be considered. and just what do you do when you go on vacation? can you take them with you or get someone [ with knowledge and the ability] to care for them. the heat down here is so bad stock must be watched close right now.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Ray, same up here in Kansas. Plenty of water for the animals is a must!!

Horses vs mules??? That's easy... mules.
like said above; they pack more, eat less, don't need as much hoof care, more sure footed, better temperament, spook less.

I grew up with horses at first, but later we switch every thing over to mules... including the riding stock. At one point we had 9 head. Mules are like any.other animal,.some are gems and others are a bit ornery. But usually those ornery ones were the hardest packers.

But after 4 bouts with cancer Dad gave up the stock and my hunting life changed. Tried the backpack thing, it's OK but I'd much rather be sitting an animal.

So it talked buddy into going halves with me on some stock..... my thought was a couple dual duty mules that we could lead in with saddle panniers and the ride around scouting.

Well after pricing mules, we got a bit of sticker shock.... yikes! Horse are/were cheaper then, so we opened up the search to include good trail horses. Watched the ads for a few months, lots of options, but just wasn't hearing the right things about thier past & usage. Finally went and looked at a couple quarter horses, mother son pair that needed a new home due to owner health & bills. Supposedly been there done that in some of the same country I hunt. Good solid quarter horses, mother 10yr white/gray mare, son a 5yr old monster big paint. No white pink eye. Smoke'n deal. So we rode her and packed him for the first couple seasons using saddle panniers.

Added a couple smallish mules a while back, all fits in a 3 slant trailer just fine.

Took them all into Hells Canyon this year and...wow! boy was I impressed with our dinky mules that nobody wanted. Fred & Jenny are little gems, lined right out w/o issue. After a half day ride I pulled saddles.to find the horses slathered and the mules bone dry. Obviously they could've hauled more.... beer!
Anyway, happy here.
Hunt'nFish

X2. I grew up day working everyday on horses from doctoring wheat yearlings to riding fences. I never saw the need for a mule, but then again I never was around an. With that said I've seen mules go through burned areas with lots of dead fall like it was a normal day. I've never seen a horse that would navigate and step over dead fall like I've seen mules do. Seen mules go through places I know a horse wouldn't. Mules excel in the back country. Less maintance, less spooky, better footing.

With that said I always compare it to bird dogs. The bird dog that hunts the most and particularly that environment , will always be the better choice.