Muzzle brake or not?

fishslap

WKR
I shoot an un-braked tikka t3x light (not super light) 7mm rem mag with no issues. I put the newer aftermarket airtech limbsaver on it which is a huge help. I also recently put that pad on my old browning a-bolt 300 win mag and it was an improvement over the older limbsaver I put on it when I got it. I used to get thumped pretty good by that 300 wm shooting 180s and it was more tolerable with the new pad even shooting 200s. I also use a Caldwell recoil shield shoulder pad which helps and mimics thicker clothing typical of hunting conditions. That’s a very tolerable setup for me.
If you ever plan on shooting at a public range, I’d avoid a brake. I wish my range wouldn’t allow them there at all or confine them to one range area. It is impossible to shoot next to them. You’d have to also guarantee that you’ll have hearing protection in before shooting in a hunting situation.

fishslap

WKR
I teach hunter ed and we do our field days at the range. We're about at least 100 yards behind the rifle line most of the time and everyone flinches when someone shoots a broke rifle.

Also is it a broke rifle, a broked rifle, and broken rifle, or a breaked rifle?
This. I’ll get up and move if a guy sets up by me at the range, or I just stare at him until he backs off the gun for a moment to let me get a shot in. I’m also a lefty so that can put me right next to them sometimes.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This. I’ll get up and move if a guy sets up by me at the range, or I just stare at him until he backs off the gun for a moment to let me get a shot in. I’m also a lefty so that can put me right next to them sometimes.
Also a good point about making people flinch, for hunting its the people around you. As a self confessed pansy, the concussion makes me flinch so I have trouble spotting shots for the shooter unless I am directly behind or far enough away.

WKR
And people who refuse to pay the govt any more money for something that should be perfectly legal to begin with.
You have never paid for a background check on a firearm transfer? Or bought a gun at a store with a "free" background check, where its built into the price?

mjh

FNG
How about a liner compensator? I recently put one on my 308. Going out to the range next week to test it out. Had a more traditional muzzle break. I'd rather just shoot with the thread protector on than the muzzle break.

My Seekins 300wm is probably a bit heavier, but not terribly. Comes in right at 8.7 lbs or so. I shot it with a brake to start and just hated it. Loud, violent, whatever you call it. Someone here suggested I take it off as I was having some accuracy issues. Night and day difference. I actually feel the recoil is much more controlled and of course it's quieter. I can shoot with just foamies at the range, although I don't make it a habit. I will say i have never had an issue with recoil, but did not like the shot sequence with the brake. and I was getting a weird jump up and to the right with the brake(and it was clocked correctly) Now it recoils straight back with very little muzzle jump. That said it is probably very rifle dependent.

TaperPin

WKR
I had a few braked rifles, but they couldn’t be shot while hunting without ear plugs - what good is that? Nobody hunts with earplugs. I was thinking while hunting the sound won’t bother me - wrong!

Brakes are one of the reasons I’m just about done with ranges - I’d rather set up a portable table out in the sagebrush.

atmat

WKR
Anyone that I pissed off, PM me and I will send you a bag.
Can I feign being pissed off by your comments? Love your products.

@Encore4me — a lightweight 300wm generally kicks more than people are comfortable with. And it makes spotting your shots near impossible. But please just get yourself a suppressor instead of a brake. You get the benefits of recoil reduction without the concussive blast (which I find far worse than recoil).

wyosam

WKR
No for me. I dabbled in brakes. Don’t care for them, so I shoot cartridges that I can reliably shoot well without. I bought a suppressor a few years ago, ended up moving to AK while it was still in ATF Jail. It’s still sitting in a shop in Wyoming waiting for me to figure out how to deal with the bullshit to get it out now. I’ve honestly kind of lost interest. Most of my shooting is at the range- even if I was suppressed, odds are pretty high that someone is shooting with a brake 2 benches down anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
No for me. I dabbled in brakes. Don’t care for them, so I shoot cartridges that I can reliably shoot well without. I bought a suppressor a few years ago, ended up moving to AK while it was still in ATF Jail. It’s still sitting in a shop in Wyoming waiting for me to figure out how to deal with the bullshit to get it out now. I’ve honestly kind of lost interest. Most of my shooting is at the range- even if I was suppressed, odds are pretty high that someone is shooting with a brake 2 benches down anyway.

Dude! Go get your suppressor!

Uhhhhhh what?

It’s really simple. Fly to Wyoming, pick up your can and fly back to Alaska.

You’ll have to deal with some BS in Canada but you have an NFA item registered to you; go pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds like the next best thing to just directly purchasing a flinch. A brake will do good for the recoil but the concussion of the shot will suck. A suppressor would be best but I don't think anything labeled as "super light" will have enough meat on the barrel to thread for a suppressor that can be used on a 300WM.

In my book only Neanderthals and caveman shoot unsuppressed.
Wow that's an extremely messed up thing to say. It's wild that you think non-suppressed shooters are actual subhumans and that you truly 100% believe this. This post is a direct attack on me, the main character of the universe. I'll bet you don't mix much with people in my extremely specific line of work and that is why you wrote this post. Know who else had a name starting with H and had a lot to say about subhumans? HITLER!

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I don't think anything labeled as "super light" will have enough meat on the barrel to thread for a suppressor that can be used on a 300WM.
It’s all about having an adequate shoulder built up. You can do that various ways.

Wow that's an extremely messed up thing to say. It's wild that you think non-suppressed shooters are actual subhumans and that you truly 100% believe this. This post is a direct attack on me, the main character of the universe. I'll bet you don't mix much with people in my extremely specific line of work and that is why you wrote this post. Know who else had a name starting with H and had a lot to say about subhumans? HITLER!
Haha you had me in the first half. Well-played.

It’s all about having an adequate shoulder built up. You can do that various ways.
I really wish what Barrett did with the threaded Fieldcraft barrels would catch on. Just genius and eliminates the need to do anything fancy for the threads. I got my father to buy one when he wanted a lightweight hunting rifle but didn't get one myself. Every time I see him use it for hunting/shooting I kick myself for not getting one too. Basically a $3,000+ rifle they were selling for $1,850.

atmat

WKR
I really wish what Barrett did with the threaded Fieldcraft barrels would catch on. Just genius and eliminates the need to do anything fancy for the threads. I got my father to buy one when he wanted a lightweight hunting rifle but didn't get one myself. Every time I see him use it for hunting/shooting I kick myself for not getting one too. Basically a $3,000+ rifle they were selling for $1,850.
But they have their own issues. For $125 I had my Tikka lite cut/threaded to 1/2”x28. For an additional $25 and some red loctite I now have a “permanent” adaptor to 5/8”x24, which will thread a 30 cal suppressor.

But they have their own issues.
I haven't heard of any pervasive issues they had. They had to stop production on the Fieldcrafts because they got the ASR contract and were required by the contract to dedicate that production capacity to it.

atmat

WKR
I haven't heard of any pervasive issues they had. They had to stop production on the Fieldcrafts because they got the ASR contract and were required by the contract to dedicate that production capacity to it.
I had one and liked a lot about it. But the bolt was prone to binding. The stock ergos weren’t great. And in general, it’s an R700 platform whose triggers I don’t fully trust. Not to sidebar the convo though.