Muzzle Break or Suppressor?

What do you have on your hunting rifle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don't get the suppressor love. Heavy, bulky, and expensive.
There are some downsides as you’ve mentioned, don’t forget that it takes months to get them as well, can’t just go to a store and pick one up.

Protecting your hearing will a valuable though, it’s also nice to take away some of the blast and recoil which makes one more accurate. Speaking for myself only (but I think most would agree), the benefits outweigh the cost/bulk/weight.

After I took my first suppressed shot I knew was in 100%

BCD

WKR
There are some downsides as you’ve mentioned, don’t forget that it takes months to get them as well, can’t just go to a store and pick one up.

Protecting your hearing will a valuable though, it’s also nice to take away some of the blast and recoil which makes one more accurate. Speaking for myself only (but I think most would agree), the benefits outweigh the cost/bulk/weight.

After I took my first suppressed shot I knew was in 100%
What model are you using and what was the price?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What model are you using and what was the price?
I have 5 of them right now, the one I’m using the most is a thunderbeast ultra 7, it was about 1300.00 including the tax stamp. I have silencers on both of my 22s and 3 rifles sitting there with silencers on them….and another silencer on order.

I’m hoping the one I’m waiting for is my last for a long time but who knows, new and interesting ones seem to come out each year.

Reactions: BCD

bpurtz

WKR
Interesting results - when I think about the hunters I've encountered in the field, I'd estimate 1:20 are packing a suppressor.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Interesting results - when I think about the hunters I've encountered in the field, I'd estimate 1:20 are packing a suppressor.
Well they cost as much as a gun and you have to wait almost a year to get one. I think those 2 factors keep people away.

bpurtz

WKR
Well they cost as much as a gun and you have to wait almost a year to get one. I think those 2 factors keep people away.
Yeah - the wait period and extra weight to pack into the backcountry have been my holdout. However, I just ordered my first suppressor over the weekend so I'm still in the Germinal stage of my suppressor pregnancy...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah - the wait period and extra weight to pack into the backcountry have been my holdout. However, I just ordered my first suppressor over the weekend so I'm still in the Germinal stage of my suppressor pregnancy...
If an extra 8-10 ounces on your pack for something that is going to dramatically improve your shooting is a problem then lose weight elsewhere. I could probably lose that by skipping breakfast for a few days. Heck I could get a different tent and drop 2+lbs off my load.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is one more thread that reminds me that I’m living in a very different financial state that most of the people on this forum. Most of the decent suppressor options cost more than my rifle.
Over the year I’ve learned that it’s just all about where you put your money. My newest car is a 2010 and that’s the one my wife drives. I drive a 2002 beater. We also don’t have kids so I get some extra $$& to play with.

I have a friend who says he “can’t afford” a silencer but spends probably 150.00/week on booze and is constantly buying stupid upgrades for his snow machine that he never rides.

One nice thing is that some of the silencer dealers have payment plans which make spending 1200.00 and waiting several months a bit easier to swallow.

Felix40

WKR
Over the year I’ve learned that it’s just all about where you put your money. My newest car is a 2010 and that’s the one my wife drives. I drive a 2002 beater. We also don’t have kids so I get some extra $$& to play with.

I have a friend who says he “can’t afford” a silencer but spends probably 150.00/week on booze and is constantly buying stupid upgrades for his snow machine that he never rides.

One nice thing is that some of the silencer dealers have payment plans which make spending 1200.00 and waiting several months a bit easier to swallow.
I’m all for budgeting. Both our vehicles are paid off and I dont really have any vices (no drinking or tobacco). Its just hard to justify spending 1/2 my monthly take home on something that essentially does what a brake and ear plugs do.

I assume the population here is very very different from the average hunter. I rarely talk to hunters in the field with suppressors on their rifles. The 1:20 number I saw above seems about right to me.

Like Thinhorn says, most people use the wait times and cost to avoid using a suppressor. Most of these people own a handful of weapons as well, or more.

I think there should be more opportunities available for people to try out suppressor to see the benefits for themselves.

If they did, selling off a rifle or three and using the funds to buy a suppressor would make more sense to them. The 1:20 hunters using them seems far too optimistic to me. I’ve ran into maybe 2 other hunters using one, ever.

The wait is inconsequential. I’ve heard friends complain about the wait for multiple years, but if they’d just purchase one, they’d have already been using it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m all for budgeting. Both our vehicles are paid off and I dont really have any vices (no drinking or tobacco). Its just hard to justify spending 1/2 my monthly take home on something that essentially does what a brake and ear plugs do.

I assume the population here is very very different from the average hunter. I rarely talk to hunters in the field with suppressors on their rifles. The 1:20 number I saw above seems about right to me.
I agree, most guys don’t have them. I can think of maybe 3 people in my direct circle who have them. I don’t think it’s a money thing though necessarily since lots of the guys I know who don’t have them have incredibly nice gun collections.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Like Thinhorn says, most people use the wait times and cost to avoid using a suppressor. Most of these people own a handful of weapons as well, or more.

I think there should be more opportunities available for people to try out suppressor to see the benefits for themselves.

If they did, selling off a rifle or three and using the funds to buy a suppressor would make more sense to them.

The wait is inconsequential. I’ve heard friends complain about the wait for multiple years, but if they’d just purchase one, they’d have already been using it.

That's what I finally decided on. The benefits far outweigh the cons.

Yes the wait is ridiculous, but might as well start it asap and get it over with.

WKR
This is one more thread that reminds me that I’m living in a very different financial state that most of the people on this forum. Most of the decent suppressor options cost more than my rifle.
Silencerco Evo can be had online for 400 bucks, and it's by all reports a pretty good one. Sure, it's probably 700-750 by the time you have it in hand. But some people just think about it as part of the deal. Just like when you buy a gun, you gotta buy a scope.

But, earplugs are cheap. Hopefully the overall message is take care of your ears.